new to the board

  • coltmodel70@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 23, 2000
      been reading and ready to try distilling. i just received my new
      still, a "Disti". no help at all came with it, ie, booklet. my
      question is cooling. should i cool the condener first, or the tower?
      start with the top or bottom inlet?
      just not sure how to route the tubing for cooling it the right way.
      thanks for any and all help, brian
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 23, 2000
        >been reading and ready to try distilling. i just received my new
        >still, a "Disti". no help at all came with it, ie, booklet. my
        >question is cooling. should i cool the condener first, or the tower?
        >start with the top or bottom inlet?
        >just not sure how to route the tubing for cooling it the right way.
        >thanks for any and all help, brian

        Brian,

        Hook it up so the coldest water is entering at the lowest point on the
        condensor, then connect the condensor outlet to the top one of the tower,
        then finally the warmest water exiting from low down on the tower.

        see http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/image/labmaster_still.gif for a
        photo of it(its a labmaster still, but the same principle applies)

        The reason for this is that you want to ensure that ALL the vapour coming
        out the condensor is condensed. Having the coldest contact at the outlet
        of the condensor gives the best chance of this happening.

        If you want some instructions that are specific to your still, see the Home
        Distilling Handbook http://partyman.se/Engelsk/default.htm from Gert
        Strand (Partyman) for US$5. The Labmaster & Desti stills are much the same
        thing.

        Best of sucess with your still.

        Tony
        http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller
      • colt
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 24, 2000
          thank you for the info, very helpful. i took your
          advice and ordered the on-line book for Strand, also
          very helpful. i have not been able to fined "yeast
          nutrients" locally. what, in your opinion, can i use
          ,"from the store". potatos, apples, oranges, etc.? is
          one better then another? also read a can of tomato
          paste is good to add also. as long as the yeast has
          something to live on, should work, right? i'm
          thinking, maybe wrong(won't be the first time)a
          combination of a couple differant friuts and veggies
          will give the yeast a larger menu to live off of.
          sound right? thanks again for the info, brian
          --- Tony & Elle Ackland
          <Tony.Ackland@...> wrote:

          > >been reading and ready to try distilling. i just
          > received my new
          > >still, a "Disti". no help at all came with it, ie,
          > booklet. my
          > >question is cooling. should i cool the condener
          > first, or the tower?
          > >start with the top or bottom inlet?
          > >just not sure how to route the tubing for cooling
          > it the right way.
          > >thanks for any and all help, brian
          >
          > Brian,
          >
          > Hook it up so the coldest water is entering at the
          > lowest point on the
          > condensor, then connect the condensor outlet to the
          > top one of the tower,
          > then finally the warmest water exiting from low down
          > on the tower.
          >
          > see

          http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/image/labmaster_still.gif
          > for a
          > photo of it(its a labmaster still, but the same
          > principle applies)
          >
          > The reason for this is that you want to ensure that
          > ALL the vapour coming
          > out the condensor is condensed. Having the coldest
          > contact at the outlet
          > of the condensor gives the best chance of this
          > happening.
          >
          > If you want some instructions that are specific to
          > your still, see the Home
          > Distilling Handbook
          > http://partyman.se/Engelsk/default.htm from Gert
          > Strand (Partyman) for US$5. The Labmaster & Desti
          > stills are much the same
          > thing.
          >
          > Best of sucess with your still.
          >

          > Tony
          > http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller

          http://im.yahoo.com/
        • Katherine Cronin
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 24, 2000
            Hey Brian
            I use molasses as a nutrient. It works very well and the colour comes out
            when you distil.
            Cheers,
            Katherine

            http://profiles.msn.com