Re: [new_distillers] Re: rubber stopper

  • BigRon BigRon
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3, 2006
      http://www.leisure-time.com/apsh.htm
      another good source for stoppers and such
      good prices

      Gregory Bloom <gjbloom@...> wrote:
      Gum rubber is also alcohol resistant. MileHiDistilling.com sells both ordinary rubber stoppers for your fermenter, and gum rubber stoppers for thermometer probes in stills. See:
      http://milehidistilling.900footalien.com/distillerparts.htm#rubberbung

      enibnikrib <manson@...> wrote:

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "enibnikrib" <manson@i...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello everyone
      > > I was wondering if a food grade rubber stopper would leach into 80
      > > proof alcohol. I want to stop up a 2 inch tube so i can install a
      > > valve to control the flow of my filter unit.
      > >
      > > thanks
      > > Luke
      > >

      > Ordinary rubber will leach & leave a nasty taste. What you want is
      > a nitrile stopper, usually available online at chemlab suppliers.
      >
      > Nitrile: (chemical identification: butadiene acrylonirile, Buna N, -
      > NBR): is a copolymer of Butadiene and Acrylonitrile. Most nitrile
      > compounds have a relatively high acrylo content, making them
      > exceptionally resistant to petroleum-base oils and hydrocarbon fuels
      > over a temperature range of -40F to +250F.
      >

      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry

      Hello Harry
      I have been searching the web for about four hours trying to find a
      nitrile stopper,I live in the usa can you help me out?

      thanks Luke

      Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers