RE: [new_distillers] was: W H el ctl now Newbies

  • Robert Thomas
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 3, 2006
      Hi Brendan,
      are you talking to yourself? It's just that I read the various he
      said/she said bits below, and they all seem to be you. Madness? Too
      much heads/tails?
      In the same way that you can't get all newbees to do research before
      asking, you can't get all the "oldies" to desist from ranting in what
      is by definition a newbee group.
      Give it up as a lost cause. Please!
      Please correspond direct (all those who haven't lost the will to live
      by now) to me. Not the group. Questions to the group (after suitable
      research) rants direct to author.
      Cheers
      Rob.
      p.s. I know I broke that last rule with this!

      Cheers,
      Rob.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Sam Thomas
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 3, 2006
        Am I the only one who successfully mastered the art of controlling the boiler temp? Ha! Just kidding, just kidding. (Don't want a flood of emails from noobs asking me how I did it.)

        The correct answer is...
        You don't control the boiler temp. You control the vapor rate. The more heat you apply the fast the vapor rate up the column. The slower the rate the better the hooch. If you go balls to the wall you're going to be getting a buttload of water vapor and other unwanted flavors included in the drippy drip drip. Yuk.

        And Tyler, I use a 3500W element but I have a 4 inch diameter column. If you have a smaller column the 1500W may work fine. Letting it go wide open will work but you will probably get a yeast taste in your alcohol. I just installed a Sutronics controller and I run mine wide open just to bring it up to temp. Then I reduce the power to about 1/4 and reflux for an hour. After that I give it a bit more power reduce the cooling water flow and start drawing off the goodies. The batch I ran last night produced 3.5 Liters of 92%.

        And Brendan... if these type questions irritate you, I would submit that YOU might not have the patience to be in the "New_Distillers" forum. Maybe you need to move on to the "Distillers".

        Clean your copper packing with vinegar and water.