Re: Reflux Column Material

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "doctorjoeyboey"
      <doctorjoeyboey@...> wrote:

      > I am having trouble finding 2" copper or stainless steel pipe. I have
      > found galvonized steel and am wondering why it isn't good enough if
      it
      > is good enough for hot and cold tap water in houses. Does anyone have
      > any input or advice as to where I can get this pipe inexpensively? I
      > am planning to pack the column with copper mesh so I don't think it
      > will matter which metal I go with as long as it can withstand the
      heat
      > and not impart a taste. Thanks!

      Galvanised pipe is Zinc coated. Fine for fuel grade ethanol. Not so
      for the drinking stuff.

      Zinc is a relatively soft metal and has a strong tendency to react
      with inorganic compounds, e.g. oxides, as well as organic ones
      (Elinder, 1986). Galvanised iron containers holding acidic drinks such
      as orange juice or alcoholic beverages have resulted in a number of
      reports of poisoning.

      Zinc is easily dissolved in diluted acids and by bases (Beliles, 1994)
      and under these circumstances, therefore zinc galvanised utensils may
      release zinc and cadmium. They can also release zinc hydrocarbonate in
      confined spaces where there is a combination of air and humidity.

      Zinc has a high solubility by contact with acidic foodstuffs. The use
      of zinc, zinc alloys or zinc galvanised consumer goods with food
      contact is banned in some countries.
      Exceptions from the banning is zinc alloyed containers for oil or such
      containers made of galvanised zinc, zinc galvanised baskets for bakery
      products, etc. Therefore:
      · Zinc should not be used in contact with wet or humid acidic
      foodstuffs.
      · Zinc galvanized utensils must not contain cadmium or release
      cadmium.
      · Zinc galvanised utensils can be used in contact with dry foodstuffs
      and with non-acidic foodstuffs.

      Source: COUNCIL OF EUROPE'S POLICY STATEMENTS
      CONCERNING MATERIALS AND ARTICLES
      INTENDED TO COME INTO CONTACT WITH FOODSTUFFS
      http://www.cookandthurber.com/ADOPTED_METALS_WEB_SITE.pdf

    • doctorjoeyboey
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2006
        Wow. Thanks for all the info. I have another question along those
        lines: is it significant that the reflux column be 2" or can it be
        another size?

        Thanks!
      • donald holcombe
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 7, 2006
          I ask about column size some time back. Got no answer. SO I did the unthinkable ...I went to the links and found that if you use too small a column size the returning or refluxing ( condensed likker ) coming down the packing get mixedup with the vapors going up and started chugging like a coffee pot.Or floods the packing. LIKE a bunch of people trying to go down the up escalator.Some goes up some down. it just needs room to pass. Contact later for further confusing.

          doctorjoeyboey <doctorjoeyboey@...> wrote: Wow. Thanks for all the info. I have another question along those
          lines: is it significant that the reflux column be 2" or can it be
          another size?

          Thanks!

          Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers