Re: Reflux Column Material

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
      Hey Doc,
      I was having the same trouble on finding large diameter copper pipe. I
      did find a couple different sources. If you are in the states, find
      one of the new mega "Menards" stores. They stock two different types
      of 2in, 1.5in and 1in. plus they carry all of the fittings for two
      inch. They only sell by 10ft stick though at about $50 per 10ft of
      2in. I am fairly cheap, so I wanted a better source where I didn't
      have to buy as much. I searched all over and while working in Florida
      found a little ma and pa plumbing supply store that sold it to me for
      $4 a foot. I paid $16 for my 4 ft of 2in. A far cry from $50! Look
      around in the yellow pages for plumbing salvage, and also check
      commercial plumbers that will sell you shorter links of scrap. Good
      Luck!!
    • Cary Rhodes
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
        www.mcmaster.com

        search copper pipe or copper tube

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "doctorjoeyboey"

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
          <doctorjoeyboey@...> wrote:

          > I am having trouble finding 2" copper or stainless steel pipe. I have
          > found galvonized steel and am wondering why it isn't good enough if
          it
          > is good enough for hot and cold tap water in houses. Does anyone have
          > any input or advice as to where I can get this pipe inexpensively? I
          > am planning to pack the column with copper mesh so I don't think it
          > will matter which metal I go with as long as it can withstand the
          heat
          > and not impart a taste. Thanks!

          Galvanised pipe is Zinc coated. Fine for fuel grade ethanol. Not so
          for the drinking stuff.

          Zinc is a relatively soft metal and has a strong tendency to react
          with inorganic compounds, e.g. oxides, as well as organic ones
          (Elinder, 1986). Galvanised iron containers holding acidic drinks such
          as orange juice or alcoholic beverages have resulted in a number of
          reports of poisoning.

          Zinc is easily dissolved in diluted acids and by bases (Beliles, 1994)
          and under these circumstances, therefore zinc galvanised utensils may
          release zinc and cadmium. They can also release zinc hydrocarbonate in
          confined spaces where there is a combination of air and humidity.

          Zinc has a high solubility by contact with acidic foodstuffs. The use
          of zinc, zinc alloys or zinc galvanised consumer goods with food
          contact is banned in some countries.
          Exceptions from the banning is zinc alloyed containers for oil or such
          containers made of galvanised zinc, zinc galvanised baskets for bakery
          products, etc. Therefore:
          · Zinc should not be used in contact with wet or humid acidic
          foodstuffs.
          · Zinc galvanized utensils must not contain cadmium or release
          cadmium.
          · Zinc galvanised utensils can be used in contact with dry foodstuffs
          and with non-acidic foodstuffs.

          Source: COUNCIL OF EUROPE'S POLICY STATEMENTS
          CONCERNING MATERIALS AND ARTICLES
          INTENDED TO COME INTO CONTACT WITH FOODSTUFFS
          http://www.cookandthurber.com/ADOPTED_METALS_WEB_SITE.pdf

        • doctorjoeyboey
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3, 2006
            Wow. Thanks for all the info. I have another question along those
            lines: is it significant that the reflux column be 2" or can it be
            another size?

            Thanks!
          • donald holcombe
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 7, 2006
              I ask about column size some time back. Got no answer. SO I did the unthinkable ...I went to the links and found that if you use too small a column size the returning or refluxing ( condensed likker ) coming down the packing get mixedup with the vapors going up and started chugging like a coffee pot.Or floods the packing. LIKE a bunch of people trying to go down the up escalator.Some goes up some down. it just needs room to pass. Contact later for further confusing.

              doctorjoeyboey <doctorjoeyboey@...> wrote: Wow. Thanks for all the info. I have another question along those
              lines: is it significant that the reflux column be 2" or can it be
              another size?

              Thanks!

              Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers