Reflux Column Material

  • doctorjoeyboey
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2006
      I am having trouble finding 2" copper or stainless steel pipe. I have
      found galvonized steel and am wondering why it isn't good enough if it
      is good enough for hot and cold tap water in houses. Does anyone have
      any input or advice as to where I can get this pipe inexpensively? I
      am planning to pack the column with copper mesh so I don't think it
      will matter which metal I go with as long as it can withstand the heat
      and not impart a taste. Thanks!
    • Dan
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
        Hey Doc,
        I was having the same trouble on finding large diameter copper pipe. I
        did find a couple different sources. If you are in the states, find
        one of the new mega "Menards" stores. They stock two different types
        of 2in, 1.5in and 1in. plus they carry all of the fittings for two
        inch. They only sell by 10ft stick though at about $50 per 10ft of
        2in. I am fairly cheap, so I wanted a better source where I didn't
        have to buy as much. I searched all over and while working in Florida
        found a little ma and pa plumbing supply store that sold it to me for
        $4 a foot. I paid $16 for my 4 ft of 2in. A far cry from $50! Look
        around in the yellow pages for plumbing salvage, and also check
        commercial plumbers that will sell you shorter links of scrap. Good
        Luck!!
      • Cary Rhodes
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
          www.mcmaster.com

          search copper pipe or copper tube

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "doctorjoeyboey"

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
            <doctorjoeyboey@...> wrote:

            > I am having trouble finding 2" copper or stainless steel pipe. I have
            > found galvonized steel and am wondering why it isn't good enough if
            it
            > is good enough for hot and cold tap water in houses. Does anyone have
            > any input or advice as to where I can get this pipe inexpensively? I
            > am planning to pack the column with copper mesh so I don't think it
            > will matter which metal I go with as long as it can withstand the
            heat
            > and not impart a taste. Thanks!

            Galvanised pipe is Zinc coated. Fine for fuel grade ethanol. Not so
            for the drinking stuff.

            Zinc is a relatively soft metal and has a strong tendency to react
            with inorganic compounds, e.g. oxides, as well as organic ones
            (Elinder, 1986). Galvanised iron containers holding acidic drinks such
            as orange juice or alcoholic beverages have resulted in a number of
            reports of poisoning.

            Zinc is easily dissolved in diluted acids and by bases (Beliles, 1994)
            and under these circumstances, therefore zinc galvanised utensils may
            release zinc and cadmium. They can also release zinc hydrocarbonate in
            confined spaces where there is a combination of air and humidity.

            Zinc has a high solubility by contact with acidic foodstuffs. The use
            of zinc, zinc alloys or zinc galvanised consumer goods with food
            contact is banned in some countries.
            Exceptions from the banning is zinc alloyed containers for oil or such
            containers made of galvanised zinc, zinc galvanised baskets for bakery
            products, etc. Therefore:
            · Zinc should not be used in contact with wet or humid acidic
            foodstuffs.
            · Zinc galvanized utensils must not contain cadmium or release
            cadmium.
            · Zinc galvanised utensils can be used in contact with dry foodstuffs
            and with non-acidic foodstuffs.

            Source: COUNCIL OF EUROPE'S POLICY STATEMENTS
            CONCERNING MATERIALS AND ARTICLES
            INTENDED TO COME INTO CONTACT WITH FOODSTUFFS
            http://www.cookandthurber.com/ADOPTED_METALS_WEB_SITE.pdf

          • doctorjoeyboey
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2006
              Wow. Thanks for all the info. I have another question along those
              lines: is it significant that the reflux column be 2" or can it be
              another size?

              Thanks!
            • donald holcombe
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 7, 2006
                I ask about column size some time back. Got no answer. SO I did the unthinkable ...I went to the links and found that if you use too small a column size the returning or refluxing ( condensed likker ) coming down the packing get mixedup with the vapors going up and started chugging like a coffee pot.Or floods the packing. LIKE a bunch of people trying to go down the up escalator.Some goes up some down. it just needs room to pass. Contact later for further confusing.

                doctorjoeyboey <doctorjoeyboey@...> wrote: Wow. Thanks for all the info. I have another question along those
                lines: is it significant that the reflux column be 2" or can it be
                another size?

                Thanks!

                Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers