water heater element

  • robbhereford01
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2006
      Hi all. I'm finally going to convert my boiler to electric water heater
      elements. Before I spend, any suggestions would be appreciated. First,
      I'd like to use two 110 volt elements (I don't have a 220v plug). What
      wattage is best? What is this low density/high density stuff all about?
      and finally is the highest possible wattage even a good thing, or does
      it make the temp fly all over the map. Just trying to avoid costly
      mistakes. Thank you
    • pure95percent
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2006
        The problem with two 110v elements are the total demand on your outlet.
        The most common 110v element is the 1500 watt element. Plug both of
        these elements into the same outlet and you will very likely trip a
        circuit breaker or blow a fuse. Wattage=voltage times amperage. The
        average home has 15 to 20 amp breakers. That gives you a max of 1650 to
        2200 watts on the circuit. Two elements at 3000 watts will be too much.

        Lot of guys here use 4500 watt 220v elements to heat the wash and then
        cut down to more like 800-1000 watts for the run.

        It also depends on the size of your boiler. For example, I have a 5
        gallon boiler. I only have a 1500 watt element controlled by a
        sutronics controller. My heat up time is about an hour. On the other
        hand if you have a 15 gallon keg, you will be waiting a long time for
        it to come up to temperature. 2 to 3 hours likely.

        That being said. High wattage is good for initial heat up but not for
        the collection run.

        Roderick

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "robbhereford01"