Re: [new_distillers] Cleaning Copper....

  • Ian Kent
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
      Hi,

      I use Coca Cola.

      Ian...

      On 2/2/06, Dan <i_fly_ifr@...> wrote:

      > Hello Everyone!
      >
      > Okay, just scored some dirt cheap 2in copper pipe to begin
      > construction on my column. It is new pipe, but had been laying around
      > for a while. I would like to know a safe (non-toxic) method of
      > thouroughly cleaning and polishing my copper. Besides just looking
      > nice, I want to make sure nothing nasty is lurking inside to taint my
      > spirits. Thanks in advance!

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • BigRon BigRon
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
        I use the liquid dish washing paste that you can buy
        I use it for the dishwasher so it is a natural for me a couple of swips with the carboy brush and im good to go just rinse it good and you are all set
        about a teaspoon is all you need
        word of caution dont get it on your clothes it does bleach out the shirts
        as for my packing i use stainless steel scrubbers with small peices of copper tubing i just throw it in the dishwasher when im through and it is all spic and span ready to go
        Ron

        where in the world is kim <whereintheworldiskim@...> wrote:
        Around here I can buy a gallon of vinegar for about $1.50 ... I plug my
        column and fill it full of vinegar with a 1/4 cup of salt mixed in.... leave
        it for about 20 minutes and pour it back into the jug.... save it and use it
        again..... rinse everything in fresh water....

        I do the same for the copper scrubbers in the column only I put them in a
        plastic bucket and soak them for less time... 5 - 10 minutes

        works great.... looks like new copper when you are done..

        Kim

        > Okay, just scored some dirt cheap 2in copper pipe to begin
        > construction on my column. It is new pipe, but had been laying around
        > for a while. I would like to know a safe (non-toxic) method of
        > thouroughly cleaning and polishing my copper. Besides just looking
        > nice, I want to make sure nothing nasty is lurking inside to taint my
        > spirits. Thanks in advance!

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

        ---------------------------------

      • winstonz3
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 2, 2006
          One product I have used for many years is a lab grade detergent
          called
          Alconox. It is used in scientific and industrial labs to clean
          metalware, glass ware and just about anything else. It is pH neutral
          and a little bit goes a very long way. It is not a sterilizer. It
          can
          be found at any chemical or scientific supply house. It is an
          industry
          standard. If you do decide to use vinegar I would say to dilute it
          by
          50%. I know it is only 5% acetic acid, but it is very strong.
          Anyway, that's my $0.02 worth on the matter.

          Ed

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <i_fly_ifr@...> wrote:

          > Hello Everyone!
          >
          > Okay, just scored some dirt cheap 2in copper pipe to begin
          > construction on my column. It is new pipe, but had been laying
          around
          > for a while. I would like to know a safe (non-toxic) method of
          > thouroughly cleaning and polishing my copper. Besides just looking
          > nice, I want to make sure nothing nasty is lurking inside to taint
          my
          > spirits. Thanks in advance!

        • morganfield1
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 2, 2006
            Hi Joe,
            No, I haven't. I just use hot, soapy water to clean my column and
            scrubbers. I was just passing on what I have read from previous posts.
            Tip one, Morgan

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@...>