Re: [new_distillers] Cleaning Copper....

  • where in the world is kim
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1 2:12 PM
      Around here I can buy a gallon of vinegar for about $1.50 ... I plug my
      column and fill it full of vinegar with a 1/4 cup of salt mixed in.... leave
      it for about 20 minutes and pour it back into the jug.... save it and use it
      again..... rinse everything in fresh water....

      I do the same for the copper scrubbers in the column only I put them in a
      plastic bucket and soak them for less time... 5 - 10 minutes

      works great.... looks like new copper when you are done..

      Kim

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1 2:43 PM
        Hi,

        I use Coca Cola.

        Ian...

        On 2/2/06, Dan <i_fly_ifr@...> wrote:

        > Hello Everyone!
        >
        > Okay, just scored some dirt cheap 2in copper pipe to begin
        > construction on my column. It is new pipe, but had been laying around
        > for a while. I would like to know a safe (non-toxic) method of
        > thouroughly cleaning and polishing my copper. Besides just looking
        > nice, I want to make sure nothing nasty is lurking inside to taint my
        > spirits. Thanks in advance!

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • BigRon BigRon
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1 2:45 PM
          I use the liquid dish washing paste that you can buy
          I use it for the dishwasher so it is a natural for me a couple of swips with the carboy brush and im good to go just rinse it good and you are all set
          about a teaspoon is all you need
          word of caution dont get it on your clothes it does bleach out the shirts
          as for my packing i use stainless steel scrubbers with small peices of copper tubing i just throw it in the dishwasher when im through and it is all spic and span ready to go
          Ron

          where in the world is kim <whereintheworldiskim@...> wrote:
          Around here I can buy a gallon of vinegar for about $1.50 ... I plug my
          column and fill it full of vinegar with a 1/4 cup of salt mixed in.... leave
          it for about 20 minutes and pour it back into the jug.... save it and use it
          again..... rinse everything in fresh water....

          I do the same for the copper scrubbers in the column only I put them in a
          plastic bucket and soak them for less time... 5 - 10 minutes

          works great.... looks like new copper when you are done..

          Kim

          > Okay, just scored some dirt cheap 2in copper pipe to begin
          > construction on my column. It is new pipe, but had been laying around
          > for a while. I would like to know a safe (non-toxic) method of
          > thouroughly cleaning and polishing my copper. Besides just looking
          > nice, I want to make sure nothing nasty is lurking inside to taint my
          > spirits. Thanks in advance!

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

          ---------------------------------

        • winstonz3
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 2 2:19 PM
            One product I have used for many years is a lab grade detergent
            called
            Alconox. It is used in scientific and industrial labs to clean
            metalware, glass ware and just about anything else. It is pH neutral
            and a little bit goes a very long way. It is not a sterilizer. It
            can
            be found at any chemical or scientific supply house. It is an
            industry
            standard. If you do decide to use vinegar I would say to dilute it
            by
            50%. I know it is only 5% acetic acid, but it is very strong.
            Anyway, that's my $0.02 worth on the matter.

            Ed

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <i_fly_ifr@...> wrote:

            > Hello Everyone!
            >
            > Okay, just scored some dirt cheap 2in copper pipe to begin
            > construction on my column. It is new pipe, but had been laying
            around
            > for a while. I would like to know a safe (non-toxic) method of
            > thouroughly cleaning and polishing my copper. Besides just looking
            > nice, I want to make sure nothing nasty is lurking inside to taint
            my
            > spirits. Thanks in advance!

          • morganfield1
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 2 2:21 PM
              Hi Joe,
              No, I haven't. I just use hot, soapy water to clean my column and
              scrubbers. I was just passing on what I have read from previous posts.
              Tip one, Morgan

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@...>