Re: [new_distillers] Re: Cleaning Copper....

  • joe giffen
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
      have you ever tried this?
      Joe

      morganfield1 <morganfield1@...> wrote:
      Hi Dan,
      A solution of vinegar and water (about half and half, I believe) will
      clean copper very nicely.
      Tip one, Morgan

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <i_fly_ifr@y...> wrote:

      > Hello Everyone!
      >
      > Okay, just scored some dirt cheap 2in copper pipe to begin
      > construction on my column. It is new pipe, but had been laying
      around
      > for a while. I would like to know a safe (non-toxic) method of
      > thouroughly cleaning and polishing my copper. Besides just looking
      > nice, I want to make sure nothing nasty is lurking inside to taint
      my
      > spirits. Thanks in advance!

      Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

      ---------------------------------

    • joe giffen
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
        have you ever tried this?
        Joe

        morganfield1 <morganfield1@...> wrote:
        Hi Dan,
        A solution of vinegar and water (about half and half, I believe) will
        clean copper very nicely.
        Tip one, Morgan

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <i_fly_ifr@y...> wrote:

        > Hello Everyone!
        >
        > Okay, just scored some dirt cheap 2in copper pipe to begin
        > construction on my column. It is new pipe, but had been laying
        around
        > for a while. I would like to know a safe (non-toxic) method of
        > thouroughly cleaning and polishing my copper. Besides just looking
        > nice, I want to make sure nothing nasty is lurking inside to taint
        my
        > spirits. Thanks in advance!

        Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

        ---------------------------------

      • where in the world is kim
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
          Around here I can buy a gallon of vinegar for about $1.50 ... I plug my
          column and fill it full of vinegar with a 1/4 cup of salt mixed in.... leave
          it for about 20 minutes and pour it back into the jug.... save it and use it
          again..... rinse everything in fresh water....

          I do the same for the copper scrubbers in the column only I put them in a
          plastic bucket and soak them for less time... 5 - 10 minutes

          works great.... looks like new copper when you are done..

          Kim

          > Okay, just scored some dirt cheap 2in copper pipe to begin
          > construction on my column. It is new pipe, but had been laying around
          > for a while. I would like to know a safe (non-toxic) method of
          > thouroughly cleaning and polishing my copper. Besides just looking
          > nice, I want to make sure nothing nasty is lurking inside to taint my
          > spirits. Thanks in advance!

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Ian Kent
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
            Hi,

            I use Coca Cola.

            Ian...

            On 2/2/06, Dan <i_fly_ifr@...> wrote:

            > Hello Everyone!
            >
            > Okay, just scored some dirt cheap 2in copper pipe to begin
            > construction on my column. It is new pipe, but had been laying around
            > for a while. I would like to know a safe (non-toxic) method of
            > thouroughly cleaning and polishing my copper. Besides just looking
            > nice, I want to make sure nothing nasty is lurking inside to taint my
            > spirits. Thanks in advance!

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • BigRon BigRon
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
              I use the liquid dish washing paste that you can buy
              I use it for the dishwasher so it is a natural for me a couple of swips with the carboy brush and im good to go just rinse it good and you are all set
              about a teaspoon is all you need
              word of caution dont get it on your clothes it does bleach out the shirts
              as for my packing i use stainless steel scrubbers with small peices of copper tubing i just throw it in the dishwasher when im through and it is all spic and span ready to go
              Ron

              where in the world is kim <whereintheworldiskim@...> wrote:
              Around here I can buy a gallon of vinegar for about $1.50 ... I plug my
              column and fill it full of vinegar with a 1/4 cup of salt mixed in.... leave
              it for about 20 minutes and pour it back into the jug.... save it and use it
              again..... rinse everything in fresh water....

              I do the same for the copper scrubbers in the column only I put them in a
              plastic bucket and soak them for less time... 5 - 10 minutes

              works great.... looks like new copper when you are done..

              Kim

              > Okay, just scored some dirt cheap 2in copper pipe to begin
              > construction on my column. It is new pipe, but had been laying around
              > for a while. I would like to know a safe (non-toxic) method of
              > thouroughly cleaning and polishing my copper. Besides just looking
              > nice, I want to make sure nothing nasty is lurking inside to taint my
              > spirits. Thanks in advance!

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

              ---------------------------------

            • winstonz3
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 2, 2006
                One product I have used for many years is a lab grade detergent
                called
                Alconox. It is used in scientific and industrial labs to clean
                metalware, glass ware and just about anything else. It is pH neutral
                and a little bit goes a very long way. It is not a sterilizer. It
                can
                be found at any chemical or scientific supply house. It is an
                industry
                standard. If you do decide to use vinegar I would say to dilute it
                by
                50%. I know it is only 5% acetic acid, but it is very strong.
                Anyway, that's my $0.02 worth on the matter.

                Ed

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <i_fly_ifr@...> wrote:

                > Hello Everyone!
                >
                > Okay, just scored some dirt cheap 2in copper pipe to begin
                > construction on my column. It is new pipe, but had been laying
                around
                > for a while. I would like to know a safe (non-toxic) method of
                > thouroughly cleaning and polishing my copper. Besides just looking
                > nice, I want to make sure nothing nasty is lurking inside to taint
                my
                > spirits. Thanks in advance!

              • morganfield1
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 2, 2006
                  Hi Joe,
                  No, I haven't. I just use hot, soapy water to clean my column and
                  scrubbers. I was just passing on what I have read from previous posts.
                  Tip one, Morgan

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@...>