Re: Cleaning Copper....

  • morganfield1
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
      Hi Dan,
      A solution of vinegar and water (about half and half, I believe) will
      clean copper very nicely.
      Tip one, Morgan

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <i_fly_ifr@y...> wrote:

      > Hello Everyone!
      >
      > Okay, just scored some dirt cheap 2in copper pipe to begin
      > construction on my column. It is new pipe, but had been laying
      around
      > for a while. I would like to know a safe (non-toxic) method of
      > thouroughly cleaning and polishing my copper. Besides just looking
      > nice, I want to make sure nothing nasty is lurking inside to taint
      my
      > spirits. Thanks in advance!

    • Brendan Keith
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
        You could leave out the water.
        Add a tablespoon or so of salt per cup of vinegar.
        Greatly increases the cleaning effect.

        --
        Brendan Keith
        bkeith@...

        A solution of vinegar and water (about half and half, I believe) will
        clean copper very nicely.
        Tip one, Morgan

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <i_fly_ifr@y...> wrote:

        > Hello Everyone!
        >
        > Okay, just scored some dirt cheap 2in copper pipe to begin
        > construction on my column. It is new pipe, but had been laying
        around
        > for a while. I would like to know a safe (non-toxic) method of
        > thouroughly cleaning and polishing my copper. Besides just looking
        > nice, I want to make sure nothing nasty is lurking inside to taint
        my
        > spirits. Thanks in advance!

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • joe giffen
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
          have you ever tried this?
          Joe

          morganfield1 <morganfield1@...> wrote:
          Hi Dan,
          A solution of vinegar and water (about half and half, I believe) will
          clean copper very nicely.
          Tip one, Morgan

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <i_fly_ifr@y...> wrote:

          > Hello Everyone!
          >
          > Okay, just scored some dirt cheap 2in copper pipe to begin
          > construction on my column. It is new pipe, but had been laying
          around
          > for a while. I would like to know a safe (non-toxic) method of
          > thouroughly cleaning and polishing my copper. Besides just looking
          > nice, I want to make sure nothing nasty is lurking inside to taint
          my
          > spirits. Thanks in advance!

          Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

          ---------------------------------

        • joe giffen
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
            have you ever tried this?
            Joe

            morganfield1 <morganfield1@...> wrote:
            Hi Dan,
            A solution of vinegar and water (about half and half, I believe) will
            clean copper very nicely.
            Tip one, Morgan

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <i_fly_ifr@y...> wrote:

            > Hello Everyone!
            >
            > Okay, just scored some dirt cheap 2in copper pipe to begin
            > construction on my column. It is new pipe, but had been laying
            around
            > for a while. I would like to know a safe (non-toxic) method of
            > thouroughly cleaning and polishing my copper. Besides just looking
            > nice, I want to make sure nothing nasty is lurking inside to taint
            my
            > spirits. Thanks in advance!

            Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

            ---------------------------------

          • where in the world is kim
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
              Around here I can buy a gallon of vinegar for about $1.50 ... I plug my
              column and fill it full of vinegar with a 1/4 cup of salt mixed in.... leave
              it for about 20 minutes and pour it back into the jug.... save it and use it
              again..... rinse everything in fresh water....

              I do the same for the copper scrubbers in the column only I put them in a
              plastic bucket and soak them for less time... 5 - 10 minutes

              works great.... looks like new copper when you are done..

              Kim

              > Okay, just scored some dirt cheap 2in copper pipe to begin
              > construction on my column. It is new pipe, but had been laying around
              > for a while. I would like to know a safe (non-toxic) method of
              > thouroughly cleaning and polishing my copper. Besides just looking
              > nice, I want to make sure nothing nasty is lurking inside to taint my
              > spirits. Thanks in advance!

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Ian Kent
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
                Hi,

                I use Coca Cola.

                Ian...

                On 2/2/06, Dan <i_fly_ifr@...> wrote:

                > Hello Everyone!
                >
                > Okay, just scored some dirt cheap 2in copper pipe to begin
                > construction on my column. It is new pipe, but had been laying around
                > for a while. I would like to know a safe (non-toxic) method of
                > thouroughly cleaning and polishing my copper. Besides just looking
                > nice, I want to make sure nothing nasty is lurking inside to taint my
                > spirits. Thanks in advance!

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • BigRon BigRon
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
                  I use the liquid dish washing paste that you can buy
                  I use it for the dishwasher so it is a natural for me a couple of swips with the carboy brush and im good to go just rinse it good and you are all set
                  about a teaspoon is all you need
                  word of caution dont get it on your clothes it does bleach out the shirts
                  as for my packing i use stainless steel scrubbers with small peices of copper tubing i just throw it in the dishwasher when im through and it is all spic and span ready to go
                  Ron

                  where in the world is kim <whereintheworldiskim@...> wrote:
                  Around here I can buy a gallon of vinegar for about $1.50 ... I plug my
                  column and fill it full of vinegar with a 1/4 cup of salt mixed in.... leave
                  it for about 20 minutes and pour it back into the jug.... save it and use it
                  again..... rinse everything in fresh water....

                  I do the same for the copper scrubbers in the column only I put them in a
                  plastic bucket and soak them for less time... 5 - 10 minutes

                  works great.... looks like new copper when you are done..

                  Kim

                  > Okay, just scored some dirt cheap 2in copper pipe to begin
                  > construction on my column. It is new pipe, but had been laying around
                  > for a while. I would like to know a safe (non-toxic) method of
                  > thouroughly cleaning and polishing my copper. Besides just looking
                  > nice, I want to make sure nothing nasty is lurking inside to taint my
                  > spirits. Thanks in advance!

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

                  ---------------------------------

                • winstonz3
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 2, 2006
                    One product I have used for many years is a lab grade detergent
                    called
                    Alconox. It is used in scientific and industrial labs to clean
                    metalware, glass ware and just about anything else. It is pH neutral
                    and a little bit goes a very long way. It is not a sterilizer. It
                    can
                    be found at any chemical or scientific supply house. It is an
                    industry
                    standard. If you do decide to use vinegar I would say to dilute it
                    by
                    50%. I know it is only 5% acetic acid, but it is very strong.
                    Anyway, that's my $0.02 worth on the matter.

                    Ed

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <i_fly_ifr@...> wrote:

                    > Hello Everyone!
                    >
                    > Okay, just scored some dirt cheap 2in copper pipe to begin
                    > construction on my column. It is new pipe, but had been laying
                    around
                    > for a while. I would like to know a safe (non-toxic) method of
                    > thouroughly cleaning and polishing my copper. Besides just looking
                    > nice, I want to make sure nothing nasty is lurking inside to taint
                    my
                    > spirits. Thanks in advance!

                  • morganfield1
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 2, 2006
                      Hi Joe,
                      No, I haven't. I just use hot, soapy water to clean my column and
                      scrubbers. I was just passing on what I have read from previous posts.
                      Tip one, Morgan

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@...>