Re: Keeping fermentation warm

  • Cary Rhodes
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
      an aquarium heater works for me.

      10 dollars or so at Wallmart

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sackerbill1" <jsshort1@n...>
      wrote:

      > Seems everybody like myself are keeping their house cooler this
      winter
      > because of the price of fuel. What is the absolute lowest temp.
      > possible for fermenting and what's a good way to keep a plastic
      bucket
      > warm during the fermenting process? I've seen the brew belt and was
      > wondering how well it works.
      >
      > Thanks.

    • Gregory Bloom
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006
        Some lagers are fermented as low as 10C (50F). There is a rule-of-thumb (Q10 rule) for biological processes that every 10C temperature rise doubles the speed, so if you're taking a ferment from 22C (72F) down to 10C, you can expect it to take more than twice as long. Colder ferments do tend to make a more flavorful product, so if you're potstilling, cooler fermentation and greater patience might be an advantage.

        sackerbill1 <jsshort1@...> wrote: Seems everybody like myself are keeping their house cooler this winter
        because of the price of fuel. What is the absolute lowest temp.
        possible for fermenting and what's a good way to keep a plastic bucket
        warm during the fermenting process? I've seen the brew belt and was
        wondering how well it works.

        Thanks.

        Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

        ---------------------------------

      • robbhereford01
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Bloom <gjbloom@...>
          wrote:

          > Some lagers are fermented as low as 10C (50F). There is a rule-of-
          thumb (Q10 rule) for biological processes that every 10C temperature
          rise doubles the speed, so if you're taking a ferment from 22C (72F)
          down to 10C, you can expect it to take more than twice as long.
          Colder ferments do tend to make a more flavorful product, so if
          you're potstilling, cooler fermentation and greater patience might be
          an advantage.

          > sackerbill1 <jsshort1@...> wrote: Seems everybody like myself
          are keeping their house cooler this winter
          > because of the price of fuel. What is the absolute lowest temp.
          > possible for fermenting and what's a good way to keep a plastic
          bucket
          > warm during the fermenting process? I've seen the brew belt and
          was
          > wondering how well it works.
          >
          > Thanks.
          >

          > I wrap mine in an electric blanket, works well and pretty cheap. I
          > I you buy one, be sure its washable, otherwise it could be a fire
          hazard.

          distilling
          Culture Culture
          club
          Organizational culture
          Distillers

          Service.

          > ---------------------------------

        • Robert Thomas
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006
            I beg to differ Rob:
            colder = less flavour (aka cleaner flavour). This is because the yeast
            isn't going like the clappers and getting its chemical processes
            confused. as you heat up the fermentation you get more esters etc. This
            can lead to that typical "home-brew" tasting beer.
            So colder gives a "purer" fermentation, hotter gives a more "flavorful"
            product.

            as to keeping the fermenter warm, I use a "brew belt" like sackerbill
            mentioned. You can sort-of adjust the heat by where you but the belt
            (top vs. bottom of bucket).

            Cheers
            Rob

            --- robbhereford01 <robbhereford01@...> wrote:

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Bloom <gjbloom@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Some lagers are fermented as low as 10C (50F). There is a rule-of-
            > thumb (Q10 rule) for biological processes that every 10C temperature
            > rise doubles the speed, so if you're taking a ferment from 22C (72F)
            > down to 10C, you can expect it to take more than twice as long.
            > Colder ferments do tend to make a more flavorful product, so if
            > you're potstilling, cooler fermentation and greater patience might be
            >
            > an advantage.
            > >
            > > sackerbill1 <jsshort1@...> wrote: Seems everybody like myself
            > are keeping their house cooler this winter
            > > because of the price of fuel. What is the absolute lowest temp.
            > > possible for fermenting and what's a good way to keep a plastic
            > bucket
            > > warm during the fermenting process? I've seen the brew belt and
            > was
            > > wondering how well it works.
            > >
            > > Thanks.
            > >

            > > I wrap mine in an electric blanket, works well and pretty cheap. I
            >
            > > I you buy one, be sure its washable, otherwise it could be a fire
            > hazard.

            > distilling
            > Culture Culture
            > club
            >
            > Organizational culture
            > Distillers

            > Service.

            Cheers,
            Rob.

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006
              i use an aquarium hearter an so long as the temp is between the upper an
              lower temps on the yeast packet everything turns out fine