Diluting and stripping...

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1 5:23 AM
      Hello!

      Another question for everyone. I experimented with an amazing still
      and got clear and clean yet very weak spirit. I decided to build a
      nice little offset head instead of continuing with the buckets. My
      question is can I run the weak product I got out of the amazing still
      through my real still?? Can I run it as is, or do I need to dilute it?
      Any help would be super! Thanks!
    • morganfield1
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1 5:45 AM
        Hello again, Dan,
        This one's not quite so easy. Yes, you can run it through your still.
        should you dilute it, depends on what your still is, and the strength
        of the spirit now. If you have internal elements, cover the elements
        with water first, then add your spirit. If your using external heat,
        there are differing oppinions on this. I dilute to 50% and then re-
        distill. Please check out previous posts on this as there is much
        discussion on this subject.
        Tip one, Morgan

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <i_fly_ifr@y...> wrote:

        > Hello!
        >
        > Another question for everyone. I experimented with an amazing still
        > and got clear and clean yet very weak spirit. I decided to build a
        > nice little offset head instead of continuing with the buckets. My
        > question is can I run the weak product I got out of the amazing
        still
        > through my real still?? Can I run it as is, or do I need to dilute
        it?
        > Any help would be super! Thanks!

      • Greg Basile
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1 9:31 AM
          Hi Dan...
          I don't know if it's correct...but, I heat my still with a propane burner, so i dilute my sprite run down with water to about 30%. I always have a fire extinguisher close by. This works for me without the possibility of turning my garage into a crater. Be safe.Greg.
          Another question for everyone. I experimented with an amazing still
          and got clear and clean yet very weak spirit. I decided to build a
          nice little offset head instead of continuing with the buckets. My
          question is can I run the weak product I got out of the amazing still
          through my real still?? Can I run it as is, or do I need to dilute it?
          Any help would be super! Thanks!

          Organizational culture Distillers

        • Robert Thomas
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2 6:31 AM
            Morgan's pretty much said it:
            for safety, dilute to make sure internal elements are covered.
            As to burners, if it's gonna blow, it's gonna blow!
            If you are purifying, there are good reasons to dilute the brew (but
            I'm in a hurry),
            if just concentrating, use the strongest you've got while noting the
            safety issues.
            Cheers
            Rob.

            --- morganfield1 <morganfield1@...> wrote:

            > Hello again, Dan,
            > This one's not quite so easy. Yes, you can run it through your still.
            >
            > should you dilute it, depends on what your still is, and the strength
            >
            > of the spirit now. If you have internal elements, cover the elements
            > with water first, then add your spirit. If your using external heat,
            > there are differing oppinions on this. I dilute to 50% and then re-
            > distill. Please check out previous posts on this as there is much
            > discussion on this subject.
            > Tip one, Morgan
            >
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <i_fly_ifr@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello!
            > >
            > > Another question for everyone. I experimented with an amazing still
            >
            > > and got clear and clean yet very weak spirit. I decided to build a
            > > nice little offset head instead of continuing with the buckets. My
            > > question is can I run the weak product I got out of the amazing
            > still
            > > through my real still?? Can I run it as is, or do I need to dilute
            > it?
            > > Any help would be super! Thanks!

            Cheers,
            Rob.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2 10:46 AM
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas
              <whosbrewing@...> wrote:

              > Morgan's pretty much said it:
              > for safety, dilute to make sure internal elements are covered.
              > As to burners, if it's gonna blow, it's gonna blow!
              > If you are purifying, there are good reasons to dilute the brew
              (but
              > I'm in a hurry),
              > if just concentrating, use the strongest you've got while noting
              the
              > safety issues.
              > Cheers
              > Rob.

              Things to keep in mind when choosing still operating methods:

              Proof and overproof spirit burns in the presence of air. Underproof
              does not. If there's a leakage, I'd much rather have underproof in
              the stillpot.

              Until all the air is purged from a still via rising vapours, ethanol
              vapour is in contact with air either in the boiler headspace or in
              the column. Fuels such as ethanol need air (oxygen) to burn.
              Any source of ignition can set fire to this ethanol/air mixture.
              That includes potential spark sources such as exposed heating
              elements, contact points for switches, electrically-driven
              monitoring equipment e.g. temp gauges, solenoids etc.
              Once the air is purged, the still column internals are safe from
              accidental ignition.

              Ethanol vapour is like gasoline fumes. When cool, they descend to
              ground level & creep. Any poorly run or unattended still shooting
              vapour into the atmosphere past the condenser is gonna fill the area
              with this fuel and bring it into contact with air. Propane loves
              this mix. Flesh and bone do not.

              Remember, even commercial still columns occasionally have fires, in
              spite of all the precautions. So the bottom line is...THINK AHEAD.
              Reduce the sources of fire, and have a fire extinguisher handy.