Cleaning Copper....

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
      Hello Everyone!

      Okay, just scored some dirt cheap 2in copper pipe to begin
      construction on my column. It is new pipe, but had been laying around
      for a while. I would like to know a safe (non-toxic) method of
      thouroughly cleaning and polishing my copper. Besides just looking
      nice, I want to make sure nothing nasty is lurking inside to taint my
      spirits. Thanks in advance!
    • morganfield1
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
        Hi Dan,
        A solution of vinegar and water (about half and half, I believe) will
        clean copper very nicely.
        Tip one, Morgan

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <i_fly_ifr@y...> wrote:

        > Hello Everyone!
        >
        > Okay, just scored some dirt cheap 2in copper pipe to begin
        > construction on my column. It is new pipe, but had been laying
        around
        > for a while. I would like to know a safe (non-toxic) method of
        > thouroughly cleaning and polishing my copper. Besides just looking
        > nice, I want to make sure nothing nasty is lurking inside to taint
        my
        > spirits. Thanks in advance!

      • Brendan Keith
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
          You could leave out the water.
          Add a tablespoon or so of salt per cup of vinegar.
          Greatly increases the cleaning effect.

          --
          Brendan Keith
          bkeith@...

          A solution of vinegar and water (about half and half, I believe) will
          clean copper very nicely.
          Tip one, Morgan

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <i_fly_ifr@y...> wrote:

          > Hello Everyone!
          >
          > Okay, just scored some dirt cheap 2in copper pipe to begin
          > construction on my column. It is new pipe, but had been laying
          around
          > for a while. I would like to know a safe (non-toxic) method of
          > thouroughly cleaning and polishing my copper. Besides just looking
          > nice, I want to make sure nothing nasty is lurking inside to taint
          my
          > spirits. Thanks in advance!

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • joe giffen
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
            have you ever tried this?
            Joe

            morganfield1 <morganfield1@...> wrote:
            Hi Dan,
            A solution of vinegar and water (about half and half, I believe) will
            clean copper very nicely.
            Tip one, Morgan

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <i_fly_ifr@y...> wrote:

            > Hello Everyone!
            >
            > Okay, just scored some dirt cheap 2in copper pipe to begin
            > construction on my column. It is new pipe, but had been laying
            around
            > for a while. I would like to know a safe (non-toxic) method of
            > thouroughly cleaning and polishing my copper. Besides just looking
            > nice, I want to make sure nothing nasty is lurking inside to taint
            my
            > spirits. Thanks in advance!

            Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

            ---------------------------------

          • joe giffen
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
              have you ever tried this?
              Joe

              morganfield1 <morganfield1@...> wrote:
              Hi Dan,
              A solution of vinegar and water (about half and half, I believe) will
              clean copper very nicely.
              Tip one, Morgan

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <i_fly_ifr@y...> wrote:

              > Hello Everyone!
              >
              > Okay, just scored some dirt cheap 2in copper pipe to begin
              > construction on my column. It is new pipe, but had been laying
              around
              > for a while. I would like to know a safe (non-toxic) method of
              > thouroughly cleaning and polishing my copper. Besides just looking
              > nice, I want to make sure nothing nasty is lurking inside to taint
              my
              > spirits. Thanks in advance!

              Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

              ---------------------------------

            • where in the world is kim
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
                Around here I can buy a gallon of vinegar for about $1.50 ... I plug my
                column and fill it full of vinegar with a 1/4 cup of salt mixed in.... leave
                it for about 20 minutes and pour it back into the jug.... save it and use it
                again..... rinse everything in fresh water....

                I do the same for the copper scrubbers in the column only I put them in a
                plastic bucket and soak them for less time... 5 - 10 minutes

                works great.... looks like new copper when you are done..

                Kim

                > Okay, just scored some dirt cheap 2in copper pipe to begin
                > construction on my column. It is new pipe, but had been laying around
                > for a while. I would like to know a safe (non-toxic) method of
                > thouroughly cleaning and polishing my copper. Besides just looking
                > nice, I want to make sure nothing nasty is lurking inside to taint my
                > spirits. Thanks in advance!

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Ian Kent
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
                  Hi,

                  I use Coca Cola.

                  Ian...

                  On 2/2/06, Dan <i_fly_ifr@...> wrote:

                  > Hello Everyone!
                  >
                  > Okay, just scored some dirt cheap 2in copper pipe to begin
                  > construction on my column. It is new pipe, but had been laying around
                  > for a while. I would like to know a safe (non-toxic) method of
                  > thouroughly cleaning and polishing my copper. Besides just looking
                  > nice, I want to make sure nothing nasty is lurking inside to taint my
                  > spirits. Thanks in advance!

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • BigRon BigRon
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
                    I use the liquid dish washing paste that you can buy
                    I use it for the dishwasher so it is a natural for me a couple of swips with the carboy brush and im good to go just rinse it good and you are all set
                    about a teaspoon is all you need
                    word of caution dont get it on your clothes it does bleach out the shirts
                    as for my packing i use stainless steel scrubbers with small peices of copper tubing i just throw it in the dishwasher when im through and it is all spic and span ready to go
                    Ron

                    where in the world is kim <whereintheworldiskim@...> wrote:
                    Around here I can buy a gallon of vinegar for about $1.50 ... I plug my
                    column and fill it full of vinegar with a 1/4 cup of salt mixed in.... leave
                    it for about 20 minutes and pour it back into the jug.... save it and use it
                    again..... rinse everything in fresh water....

                    I do the same for the copper scrubbers in the column only I put them in a
                    plastic bucket and soak them for less time... 5 - 10 minutes

                    works great.... looks like new copper when you are done..

                    Kim

                    > Okay, just scored some dirt cheap 2in copper pipe to begin
                    > construction on my column. It is new pipe, but had been laying around
                    > for a while. I would like to know a safe (non-toxic) method of
                    > thouroughly cleaning and polishing my copper. Besides just looking
                    > nice, I want to make sure nothing nasty is lurking inside to taint my
                    > spirits. Thanks in advance!

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

                    ---------------------------------

                  • winstonz3
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 2, 2006
                      One product I have used for many years is a lab grade detergent
                      called
                      Alconox. It is used in scientific and industrial labs to clean
                      metalware, glass ware and just about anything else. It is pH neutral
                      and a little bit goes a very long way. It is not a sterilizer. It
                      can
                      be found at any chemical or scientific supply house. It is an
                      industry
                      standard. If you do decide to use vinegar I would say to dilute it
                      by
                      50%. I know it is only 5% acetic acid, but it is very strong.
                      Anyway, that's my $0.02 worth on the matter.

                      Ed

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <i_fly_ifr@...> wrote:

                      > Hello Everyone!
                      >
                      > Okay, just scored some dirt cheap 2in copper pipe to begin
                      > construction on my column. It is new pipe, but had been laying
                      around
                      > for a while. I would like to know a safe (non-toxic) method of
                      > thouroughly cleaning and polishing my copper. Besides just looking
                      > nice, I want to make sure nothing nasty is lurking inside to taint
                      my
                      > spirits. Thanks in advance!

                    • morganfield1
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 2, 2006
                        Hi Joe,
                        No, I haven't. I just use hot, soapy water to clean my column and
                        scrubbers. I was just passing on what I have read from previous posts.
                        Tip one, Morgan

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@...>