Re: Keeping fermentation warm

  • emailbenja
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2006
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sackerbill1" <jsshort1@n...>
      wrote:

      > Seems everybody like myself are keeping their house cooler this
      winter
      > because of the price of fuel. What is the absolute lowest temp.
      > possible for fermenting and what's a good way to keep a plastic
      bucket
      > warm during the fermenting process? I've seen the brew belt and was
      > wondering how well it works.
      >
      > Thanks.

      Make a hole, fit a large grommet, put a slit in it, stick in an
      aquarium heater (50W should do) and seal the grommet with silicone
      (get the right silicone for the type of rubber the grommet is made
      of).
      Otherwise, build a box out of polystyrene or something similar, stick
      your fermenter in there, and get a bit of pipe, and put the aquarium
      heater in the pipe. Fill pipe with water, and put a lid on the box.
      This is a cleaner method, as the heaters are a bit hard to clean and
      can carry infections over into your next brew. I get a 2degC
      difference between one side of the box and the other, but it works
      fine.
      Yeasts can go down to about 10-12degC, particularly lager yeaste
      (look up the meaning of lagering- explains a lot).
      Hope this helps
      cheers
      benja
    • Cary Rhodes
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
        an aquarium heater works for me.

        10 dollars or so at Wallmart

        wrote:

        > Seems everybody like myself are keeping their house cooler this
        winter
        > because of the price of fuel. What is the absolute lowest temp.
        > possible for fermenting and what's a good way to keep a plastic
        bucket
        > warm during the fermenting process? I've seen the brew belt and was
        > wondering how well it works.
        >
        > Thanks.

      • Gregory Bloom
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006
          Some lagers are fermented as low as 10C (50F). There is a rule-of-thumb (Q10 rule) for biological processes that every 10C temperature rise doubles the speed, so if you're taking a ferment from 22C (72F) down to 10C, you can expect it to take more than twice as long. Colder ferments do tend to make a more flavorful product, so if you're potstilling, cooler fermentation and greater patience might be an advantage.

          sackerbill1 <jsshort1@...> wrote: Seems everybody like myself are keeping their house cooler this winter
          because of the price of fuel. What is the absolute lowest temp.
          possible for fermenting and what's a good way to keep a plastic bucket
          warm during the fermenting process? I've seen the brew belt and was
          wondering how well it works.

          Thanks.

          Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

          ---------------------------------

        • robbhereford01
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Bloom <gjbloom@...>
            wrote:

            > Some lagers are fermented as low as 10C (50F). There is a rule-of-
            thumb (Q10 rule) for biological processes that every 10C temperature
            rise doubles the speed, so if you're taking a ferment from 22C (72F)
            down to 10C, you can expect it to take more than twice as long.
            Colder ferments do tend to make a more flavorful product, so if
            you're potstilling, cooler fermentation and greater patience might be
            an advantage.

            > sackerbill1 <jsshort1@...> wrote: Seems everybody like myself
            are keeping their house cooler this winter
            > because of the price of fuel. What is the absolute lowest temp.
            > possible for fermenting and what's a good way to keep a plastic
            bucket
            > warm during the fermenting process? I've seen the brew belt and
            was
            > wondering how well it works.
            >
            > Thanks.
            >

            > I wrap mine in an electric blanket, works well and pretty cheap. I
            > I you buy one, be sure its washable, otherwise it could be a fire
            hazard.

            distilling
            Culture Culture
            club
            Organizational culture
            Distillers

            Service.

            > ---------------------------------

          • Robert Thomas
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006
              I beg to differ Rob:
              colder = less flavour (aka cleaner flavour). This is because the yeast
              isn't going like the clappers and getting its chemical processes
              confused. as you heat up the fermentation you get more esters etc. This
              can lead to that typical "home-brew" tasting beer.
              So colder gives a "purer" fermentation, hotter gives a more "flavorful"
              product.

              as to keeping the fermenter warm, I use a "brew belt" like sackerbill
              mentioned. You can sort-of adjust the heat by where you but the belt
              (top vs. bottom of bucket).

              Cheers
              Rob

              --- robbhereford01 <robbhereford01@...> wrote:

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Bloom <gjbloom@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Some lagers are fermented as low as 10C (50F). There is a rule-of-
              > thumb (Q10 rule) for biological processes that every 10C temperature
              > rise doubles the speed, so if you're taking a ferment from 22C (72F)
              > down to 10C, you can expect it to take more than twice as long.
              > Colder ferments do tend to make a more flavorful product, so if
              > you're potstilling, cooler fermentation and greater patience might be
              >
              > an advantage.
              > >
              > > sackerbill1 <jsshort1@...> wrote: Seems everybody like myself
              > are keeping their house cooler this winter
              > > because of the price of fuel. What is the absolute lowest temp.
              > > possible for fermenting and what's a good way to keep a plastic
              > bucket
              > > warm during the fermenting process? I've seen the brew belt and
              > was
              > > wondering how well it works.
              > >
              > > Thanks.
              > >

              > > I wrap mine in an electric blanket, works well and pretty cheap. I
              >
              > > I you buy one, be sure its washable, otherwise it could be a fire
              > hazard.

              > distilling
              > Culture Culture
              > club
              >
              > Organizational culture
              > Distillers

              > Service.

              Cheers,
              Rob.

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006
                i use an aquarium hearter an so long as the temp is between the upper an
                lower temps on the yeast packet everything turns out fine