Keeping fermentation warm

  • sackerbill1
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2006
      Seems everybody like myself are keeping their house cooler this winter
      because of the price of fuel. What is the absolute lowest temp.
      possible for fermenting and what's a good way to keep a plastic bucket
      warm during the fermenting process? I've seen the brew belt and was
      wondering how well it works.

      Thanks.
    • enibnikrib
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 31, 2006
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sackerbill1" <jsshort1@n...>
        wrote:

        > Seems everybody like myself are keeping their house cooler this winter
        > because of the price of fuel. What is the absolute lowest temp.
        > possible for fermenting and what's a good way to keep a plastic bucket
        > warm during the fermenting process? I've seen the brew belt and was
        > wondering how well it works.
        >
        > Thanks.

        I have 5 gal. buckets with a lid on top. The bucket sits on a heating
        pad with the setting on low. The garage is probably 55 or 60f. I use
        wine yeast, an it ferments for about a week at 72f. I figure the
        heating pad works as good as a brew belt, an has three settings.

        have a drink on me
        Luke
      • emailbenja
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 31, 2006
          wrote:

          > Seems everybody like myself are keeping their house cooler this
          winter
          > because of the price of fuel. What is the absolute lowest temp.
          > possible for fermenting and what's a good way to keep a plastic
          bucket
          > warm during the fermenting process? I've seen the brew belt and was
          > wondering how well it works.
          >
          > Thanks.

          Make a hole, fit a large grommet, put a slit in it, stick in an
          aquarium heater (50W should do) and seal the grommet with silicone
          (get the right silicone for the type of rubber the grommet is made
          of).
          Otherwise, build a box out of polystyrene or something similar, stick
          your fermenter in there, and get a bit of pipe, and put the aquarium
          heater in the pipe. Fill pipe with water, and put a lid on the box.
          This is a cleaner method, as the heaters are a bit hard to clean and
          can carry infections over into your next brew. I get a 2degC
          difference between one side of the box and the other, but it works
          fine.
          Yeasts can go down to about 10-12degC, particularly lager yeaste
          (look up the meaning of lagering- explains a lot).
          Hope this helps
          cheers
          benja
        • Cary Rhodes
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
            an aquarium heater works for me.

            10 dollars or so at Wallmart

            wrote:

            > Seems everybody like myself are keeping their house cooler this
            winter
            > because of the price of fuel. What is the absolute lowest temp.
            > possible for fermenting and what's a good way to keep a plastic
            bucket
            > warm during the fermenting process? I've seen the brew belt and was
            > wondering how well it works.
            >
            > Thanks.

          • Gregory Bloom
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006
              Some lagers are fermented as low as 10C (50F). There is a rule-of-thumb (Q10 rule) for biological processes that every 10C temperature rise doubles the speed, so if you're taking a ferment from 22C (72F) down to 10C, you can expect it to take more than twice as long. Colder ferments do tend to make a more flavorful product, so if you're potstilling, cooler fermentation and greater patience might be an advantage.

              sackerbill1 <jsshort1@...> wrote: Seems everybody like myself are keeping their house cooler this winter
              because of the price of fuel. What is the absolute lowest temp.
              possible for fermenting and what's a good way to keep a plastic bucket
              warm during the fermenting process? I've seen the brew belt and was
              wondering how well it works.

              Thanks.

              Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

              ---------------------------------

            • robbhereford01
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Bloom <gjbloom@...>
                wrote:

                > Some lagers are fermented as low as 10C (50F). There is a rule-of-
                thumb (Q10 rule) for biological processes that every 10C temperature
                rise doubles the speed, so if you're taking a ferment from 22C (72F)
                down to 10C, you can expect it to take more than twice as long.
                Colder ferments do tend to make a more flavorful product, so if
                you're potstilling, cooler fermentation and greater patience might be
                an advantage.

                > sackerbill1 <jsshort1@...> wrote: Seems everybody like myself
                are keeping their house cooler this winter
                > because of the price of fuel. What is the absolute lowest temp.
                > possible for fermenting and what's a good way to keep a plastic
                bucket
                > warm during the fermenting process? I've seen the brew belt and
                was
                > wondering how well it works.
                >
                > Thanks.
                >

                > I wrap mine in an electric blanket, works well and pretty cheap. I
                > I you buy one, be sure its washable, otherwise it could be a fire
                hazard.

                distilling
                Culture Culture
                club
                Organizational culture
                Distillers

                Service.

                > ---------------------------------

              • Robert Thomas
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006
                  I beg to differ Rob:
                  colder = less flavour (aka cleaner flavour). This is because the yeast
                  isn't going like the clappers and getting its chemical processes
                  confused. as you heat up the fermentation you get more esters etc. This
                  can lead to that typical "home-brew" tasting beer.
                  So colder gives a "purer" fermentation, hotter gives a more "flavorful"
                  product.

                  as to keeping the fermenter warm, I use a "brew belt" like sackerbill
                  mentioned. You can sort-of adjust the heat by where you but the belt
                  (top vs. bottom of bucket).

                  Cheers
                  Rob

                  --- robbhereford01 <robbhereford01@...> wrote:

                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Bloom <gjbloom@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Some lagers are fermented as low as 10C (50F). There is a rule-of-
                  > thumb (Q10 rule) for biological processes that every 10C temperature
                  > rise doubles the speed, so if you're taking a ferment from 22C (72F)
                  > down to 10C, you can expect it to take more than twice as long.
                  > Colder ferments do tend to make a more flavorful product, so if
                  > you're potstilling, cooler fermentation and greater patience might be
                  >
                  > an advantage.
                  > >
                  > > sackerbill1 <jsshort1@...> wrote: Seems everybody like myself
                  > are keeping their house cooler this winter
                  > > because of the price of fuel. What is the absolute lowest temp.
                  > > possible for fermenting and what's a good way to keep a plastic
                  > bucket
                  > > warm during the fermenting process? I've seen the brew belt and
                  > was
                  > > wondering how well it works.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks.
                  > >

                  > > I wrap mine in an electric blanket, works well and pretty cheap. I
                  >
                  > > I you buy one, be sure its washable, otherwise it could be a fire
                  > hazard.

                  > distilling
                  > Culture Culture
                  > club
                  >
                  > Organizational culture
                  > Distillers

                  > Service.

                  Cheers,
                  Rob.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006
                    i use an aquarium hearter an so long as the temp is between the upper an
                    lower temps on the yeast packet everything turns out fine