rubber stopper

  • enibnikrib
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 29, 2006
      Hello everyone
      I was wondering if a food grade rubber stopper would leach into 80
      proof alcohol. I want to stop up a 2 inch tube so i can install a
      valve to control the flow of my filter unit.

      thanks
      Luke
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 30, 2006
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "enibnikrib" <manson@i...>
        wrote:

        > Hello everyone
        > I was wondering if a food grade rubber stopper would leach into 80
        > proof alcohol. I want to stop up a 2 inch tube so i can install a
        > valve to control the flow of my filter unit.
        >
        > thanks
        > Luke

        Ordinary rubber will leach & leave a nasty taste. What you want is
        a nitrile stopper, usually available online at chemlab suppliers.

        Nitrile: (chemical identification: butadiene acrylonirile, Buna N, -
        NBR): is a copolymer of Butadiene and Acrylonitrile. Most nitrile
        compounds have a relatively high acrylo content, making them
        exceptionally resistant to petroleum-base oils and hydrocarbon fuels
        over a temperature range of -40F to +250F.

      • Lindsay Williams
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 30, 2006
          Do they still make real rubber? Is a typical flask stopper nitrile? I
          have a "rubber" stopper with a hole for the thermometer that came with
          my first Still Spirits still. Wonder what this is made of?? I am sure
          (hope?!) it is very impervious to etoh (not that I use it now).

          Cheers,
          Lindsay.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "enibnikrib" <manson@i...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello everyone
          > > I was wondering if a food grade rubber stopper would leach into 80
          > > proof alcohol. I want to stop up a 2 inch tube so i can install a
          > > valve to control the flow of my filter unit.
          > >
          > > thanks
          > > Luke
          > >

          > Ordinary rubber will leach & leave a nasty taste. What you want is
          > a nitrile stopper, usually available online at chemlab suppliers.
          >
          > Nitrile: (chemical identification: butadiene acrylonirile, Buna N, -
          > NBR): is a copolymer of Butadiene and Acrylonitrile. Most nitrile
          > compounds have a relatively high acrylo content, making them
          > exceptionally resistant to petroleum-base oils and hydrocarbon fuels
          > over a temperature range of -40F to +250F.
          >

          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry

        • enibnikrib
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 31, 2006
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "enibnikrib" <manson@i...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello everyone
            > > I was wondering if a food grade rubber stopper would leach into 80
            > > proof alcohol. I want to stop up a 2 inch tube so i can install a
            > > valve to control the flow of my filter unit.
            > >
            > > thanks
            > > Luke
            > >

            > Ordinary rubber will leach & leave a nasty taste. What you want is
            > a nitrile stopper, usually available online at chemlab suppliers.
            >
            > Nitrile: (chemical identification: butadiene acrylonirile, Buna N, -
            > NBR): is a copolymer of Butadiene and Acrylonitrile. Most nitrile
            > compounds have a relatively high acrylo content, making them
            > exceptionally resistant to petroleum-base oils and hydrocarbon fuels
            > over a temperature range of -40F to +250F.
            >

            > Slainte!
            > regards Harry

            Hello Harry
            I have been searching the web for about four hours trying to find a
            nitrile stopper,I live in the usa can you help me out?

            thanks Luke
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "enibnikrib" <manson@...> wrote:

              > Hello Harry
              > I have been searching the web for about four hours trying to find a
              > nitrile stopper,I live in the usa can you help me out?
              >
              > thanks Luke

              https://www1.fishersci.com/Coupon?cid=1328&gid=77925

              ...or try a pharmacist/chemist.

            • Gregory Bloom
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 3, 2006
                Gum rubber is also alcohol resistant. MileHiDistilling.com sells both ordinary rubber stoppers for your fermenter, and gum rubber stoppers for thermometer probes in stills. See:
                http://milehidistilling.900footalien.com/distillerparts.htm#rubberbung

                enibnikrib <manson@...> wrote:

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "enibnikrib" <manson@i...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello everyone
                > > I was wondering if a food grade rubber stopper would leach into 80
                > > proof alcohol. I want to stop up a 2 inch tube so i can install a
                > > valve to control the flow of my filter unit.
                > >
                > > thanks
                > > Luke
                > >

                > Ordinary rubber will leach & leave a nasty taste. What you want is
                > a nitrile stopper, usually available online at chemlab suppliers.
                >
                > Nitrile: (chemical identification: butadiene acrylonirile, Buna N, -
                > NBR): is a copolymer of Butadiene and Acrylonitrile. Most nitrile
                > compounds have a relatively high acrylo content, making them
                > exceptionally resistant to petroleum-base oils and hydrocarbon fuels
                > over a temperature range of -40F to +250F.
                >

                > Slainte!
                > regards Harry

                Hello Harry
                I have been searching the web for about four hours trying to find a
                nitrile stopper,I live in the usa can you help me out?

                thanks Luke

                ---------------------------------

              • BigRon BigRon
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 3, 2006
                  http://www.leisure-time.com/apsh.htm
                  another good source for stoppers and such
                  good prices

                  enibnikrib <manson@...> wrote:

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:

                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "enibnikrib" <manson@i...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hello everyone
                  > > I was wondering if a food grade rubber stopper would leach into 80
                  > > proof alcohol. I want to stop up a 2 inch tube so i can install a
                  > > valve to control the flow of my filter unit.
                  > >
                  > > thanks
                  > > Luke
                  > >

                  > Ordinary rubber will leach & leave a nasty taste. What you want is
                  > a nitrile stopper, usually available online at chemlab suppliers.
                  >
                  > Nitrile: (chemical identification: butadiene acrylonirile, Buna N, -
                  > NBR): is a copolymer of Butadiene and Acrylonitrile. Most nitrile
                  > compounds have a relatively high acrylo content, making them
                  > exceptionally resistant to petroleum-base oils and hydrocarbon fuels
                  > over a temperature range of -40F to +250F.
                  >

                  > Slainte!
                  > regards Harry

                  Hello Harry
                  I have been searching the web for about four hours trying to find a
                  nitrile stopper,I live in the usa can you help me out?

                  thanks Luke

                  Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers