Re: Malting/Mashing Corn Methods

  • Campbell Ritchie
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 29, 2006
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "S E"
      <blackrabbit.namespace@h...> wrote:

      > >Can test the amount of conversion with a bottle of iodine from the
      > >pharmacy. Then you know for sure when conversion is over.
      >
      > ok this may have been covered in the past but how do you do this
      again?
      > is there a proceedure available somewhere...
      >
      > .br.

      What I do when making beer (all Grain) is stir the wort, get a
      couple of drops (no solids or you can get a false result)from the
      spoon onto a white plate and add a drop or two of iodine. If it goes
      black there is still starch present. If it stays the same, or more
      likely goes a brown colour from the iodine then all the starch has
      been converted to sugars.

      Excellent on line brewing book is http://www.howtobrew.com/
      by John Palmer

      Campbell
      Still a bit of a newbie even after a couple of years.
      Hey, we're all still learning aren't we?