Re: [new_distillers] Molasses wash foaming during distillation

  • Robert Thomas
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
      Just one parting shot Ian. I don't like oil/butter/fat if only because
      then you have to use detergent to clean the pot. It's not a "no no",
      just another step in cleaning. Why use anything other than warm water
      if you can help it.
      Cheers,
      Rob.
      p.s. plus I guess parsimony made me use too little oil, and it wasn't
      really helpful. If you're gonna go for it make sure there is a good
      slick on the surface.

      --- Ian Kent <kegscruiser@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Rob and Kim,
      >
      > I'll use both your methods and let you know how I go.
      >
      > Many thanks for your great suggestions.
      >

      > Ian..
      >

      > On 1/3/06, where in the world is kim
      > <whereintheworldiskim@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Ian
      > >
      > > I have had some foaming with molasses wash especially if the
      > fermentation
      > > did not finish completely. I make sure that there is about 1/3
      > voluum
      > > head
      > > space in the boiler and I pour 1/4 cup of olive oil on top of the
      > wash
      > > before heating the still. this seems to work
      > >
      > > Kim

      Cheers,
      Rob.

      __________________________________
    • S E
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
        other threads have suggested olive oil about 1/4 cup...this problem comes up
        quite often.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "S E"
          <blackrabbit.namespace@h...> wrote:

          > other threads have suggested olive oil about 1/4 cup...this
          problem comes up
          > quite often.

          Yup. But there's a particular reason why distillers use AND
          advocate butter. It is natural animal fat, and the active
          ingredient for both smell & taste is (wait for it)...DIACETYL. Yep,
          the same compound found in ALL grain fermentations, which brewers
          try to reduce by letting the finished ferment have a 2 day diacetyl
          rest. Getting the picture?

          IF some of it manages to find its way into the distillate (a natural
          part of Scotch profile), then there's no harm done. Whereas if vege
          oils distill over, blind Freddie can tell there's something amiss.

          Subtlety is the hallmark of this hobby, particularly when trying for
          flavoured spirits.

          HTH
        • S E
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
            Thanks Harry, I have been properly smacked...;-)

            .br.

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 4, 2006
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "S E"
              <blackrabbit.namespace@h...> wrote:

              > Thanks Harry, I have been properly smacked...;-)
              >
              > .br.

              Nah. We don't smack here (too kinky). We just ermmm...'actively
              insist'. LOL

            • Ian Kent
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 4, 2006
                Overnight while dreaming of my next potato/grain wash I though about the
                molasses foam and the way I do things.
                When I decant from fermenter to the still, I allow the liquid to drop quite
                a distance which aerates the wash considerably. Would this aeration assist
                in the foaming?

                Ian..

              • donald holcombe
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 4, 2006
                  The tumbling and churning would remove any suspended gas left from the ferment. The foaming can be blamed mostly on the protein content of the wash.

                  Ian Kent <kegscruiser@...> wrote: Overnight while dreaming of my next potato/grain wash I though about the