Re: [new_distillers] Molasses wash foaming during distillation

  • where in the world is kim
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
      Ian

      I have had some foaming with molasses wash especially if the fermentation
      did not finish completely. I make sure that there is about 1/3 voluum head
      space in the boiler and I pour 1/4 cup of olive oil on top of the wash
      before heating the still. this seems to work

      Kim

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
        Thanks Rob and Kim,

        I'll use both your methods and let you know how I go.

        Many thanks for your great suggestions.

        Ian..

        On 1/3/06, where in the world is kim <whereintheworldiskim@...>
        wrote:

        > Ian
        >
        > I have had some foaming with molasses wash especially if the fermentation
        > did not finish completely. I make sure that there is about 1/3 voluum
        > head
        > space in the boiler and I pour 1/4 cup of olive oil on top of the wash
        > before heating the still. this seems to work
        >
        > Kim

      • Robert Thomas
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
          Definately when using dunder, presumably due to the concentration of
          "sh*t" in the dunder. Otherwise not so much, but I've still foamed into
          the column (well, not me, the wash!)
          Cheers,
          Rob.

          --- abbababbaccc <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

          > Rob, do you have problems with half filled boiler if you don't skim
          > the foam?
          >
          > - Riku
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas
          > <whosbrewing@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi ian,
          > > foaming goes with the terrain. The most effective way of not
          > filling
          > > your column with goop is to skim off the foam with a slotted spoon
          > > while the wash heats up. You'll find that it starts quite foamy,
          > but
          > > then goes really "solidsy". after gettingt most of that off I
          > usually
          > > don't have a problem (although I only half fill my boiler for rum
          > > runs).
          > > Cheers,
          > > Rob.
          > >

          > > --- Ian Kent <kegscruiser@g...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > Hi All,
          > > >
          > > > My wash of 4kg white sugar/4kg blackstrap molasses has foamed
          > during
          > > > distillation.
          > > > No foaming at all during fermentation.
          > > > The wash was 15.5% and I had about 20L in a 25L still.
          > > >
          > > > I've checked around and in addition to reducing the volume
          > > > (increasing
          > > > headspace) It has been suggested to add some butter (not
          > margarine).
          > > >
          > > > Has any other Rum maker experienced this and is butter a good
          > start
          > > > reducing foaming?
          > > >

          > > > Thanks,
          > > >

          > > > Ian..

          > > Cheers,
          > > Rob.

          > > Yahoo! DSL � Something to write home about.
          > > Just $16.99/mo. or less.
          > > dsl.yahoo.com

          Cheers,
          Rob.

          Just $16.99/mo. or less.
          dsl.yahoo.com
        • Robert Thomas
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
            Just one parting shot Ian. I don't like oil/butter/fat if only because
            then you have to use detergent to clean the pot. It's not a "no no",
            just another step in cleaning. Why use anything other than warm water
            if you can help it.
            Cheers,
            Rob.
            p.s. plus I guess parsimony made me use too little oil, and it wasn't
            really helpful. If you're gonna go for it make sure there is a good
            slick on the surface.

            --- Ian Kent <kegscruiser@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Rob and Kim,
            >
            > I'll use both your methods and let you know how I go.
            >
            > Many thanks for your great suggestions.
            >

            > Ian..
            >

            > On 1/3/06, where in the world is kim
            > <whereintheworldiskim@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Ian
            > >
            > > I have had some foaming with molasses wash especially if the
            > fermentation
            > > did not finish completely. I make sure that there is about 1/3
            > voluum
            > > head
            > > space in the boiler and I pour 1/4 cup of olive oil on top of the
            > wash
            > > before heating the still. this seems to work
            > >
            > > Kim

            Cheers,
            Rob.

            __________________________________
          • S E
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
              other threads have suggested olive oil about 1/4 cup...this problem comes up
              quite often.

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "S E"
                <blackrabbit.namespace@h...> wrote:

                > other threads have suggested olive oil about 1/4 cup...this
                problem comes up
                > quite often.

                Yup. But there's a particular reason why distillers use AND
                advocate butter. It is natural animal fat, and the active
                ingredient for both smell & taste is (wait for it)...DIACETYL. Yep,
                the same compound found in ALL grain fermentations, which brewers
                try to reduce by letting the finished ferment have a 2 day diacetyl
                rest. Getting the picture?

                IF some of it manages to find its way into the distillate (a natural
                part of Scotch profile), then there's no harm done. Whereas if vege
                oils distill over, blind Freddie can tell there's something amiss.

                Subtlety is the hallmark of this hobby, particularly when trying for
                flavoured spirits.

                HTH
              • S E
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
                  Thanks Harry, I have been properly smacked...;-)

                  .br.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 4, 2006
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "S E"
                    <blackrabbit.namespace@h...> wrote:

                    > Thanks Harry, I have been properly smacked...;-)
                    >
                    > .br.

                    Nah. We don't smack here (too kinky). We just ermmm...'actively
                    insist'. LOL

                  • Ian Kent
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 4, 2006
                      Overnight while dreaming of my next potato/grain wash I though about the
                      molasses foam and the way I do things.
                      When I decant from fermenter to the still, I allow the liquid to drop quite
                      a distance which aerates the wash considerably. Would this aeration assist
                      in the foaming?

                      Ian..

                    • donald holcombe
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 4, 2006
                        The tumbling and churning would remove any suspended gas left from the ferment. The foaming can be blamed mostly on the protein content of the wash.

                        Ian Kent <kegscruiser@...> wrote: Overnight while dreaming of my next potato/grain wash I though about the