Re: Molasses wash foaming during distillation

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
      Rob, do you have problems with half filled boiler if you don't skim
      the foam?

      - Riku

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas
      <whosbrewing@y...> wrote:

      > Hi ian,
      > foaming goes with the terrain. The most effective way of not
      filling
      > your column with goop is to skim off the foam with a slotted spoon
      > while the wash heats up. You'll find that it starts quite foamy,
      but
      > then goes really "solidsy". after gettingt most of that off I
      usually
      > don't have a problem (although I only half fill my boiler for rum
      > runs).
      > Cheers,
      > Rob.
      >

      > --- Ian Kent <kegscruiser@g...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hi All,
      > >
      > > My wash of 4kg white sugar/4kg blackstrap molasses has foamed
      during
      > > distillation.
      > > No foaming at all during fermentation.
      > > The wash was 15.5% and I had about 20L in a 25L still.
      > >
      > > I've checked around and in addition to reducing the volume
      > > (increasing
      > > headspace) It has been suggested to add some butter (not
      margarine).

      > > Has any other Rum maker experienced this and is butter a good
      start
      > > reducing foaming?
      > >

      > > Thanks,
      > >

      > > Ian..

      > Cheers,
      > Rob.

      > Just $16.99/mo. or less.
      > dsl.yahoo.com

    • where in the world is kim
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
        Ian

        I have had some foaming with molasses wash especially if the fermentation
        did not finish completely. I make sure that there is about 1/3 voluum head
        space in the boiler and I pour 1/4 cup of olive oil on top of the wash
        before heating the still. this seems to work

        Kim

        > My wash of 4kg white sugar/4kg blackstrap molasses has foamed during
        > distillation.
        > No foaming at all during fermentation.
        > The wash was 15.5% and I had about 20L in a 25L still.
        >
        > I've checked around and in addition to reducing the volume (increasing
        > headspace) It has been suggested to add some butter (not margarine).
        >
        > Has any other Rum maker experienced this and is butter a good start to
        > reducing foaming?
        >

        > Thanks,
        >

        > Ian..

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Ian Kent
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
          Thanks Rob and Kim,

          I'll use both your methods and let you know how I go.

          Many thanks for your great suggestions.

          Ian..

          On 1/3/06, where in the world is kim <whereintheworldiskim@...>
          wrote:

          > Ian
          >
          > I have had some foaming with molasses wash especially if the fermentation
          > did not finish completely. I make sure that there is about 1/3 voluum
          > head
          > space in the boiler and I pour 1/4 cup of olive oil on top of the wash
          > before heating the still. this seems to work
          >
          > Kim

        • Robert Thomas
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
            Definately when using dunder, presumably due to the concentration of
            "sh*t" in the dunder. Otherwise not so much, but I've still foamed into
            the column (well, not me, the wash!)
            Cheers,
            Rob.

            --- abbababbaccc <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

            > Rob, do you have problems with half filled boiler if you don't skim
            > the foam?
            >
            > - Riku
            >
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas
            > <whosbrewing@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi ian,
            > > foaming goes with the terrain. The most effective way of not
            > filling
            > > your column with goop is to skim off the foam with a slotted spoon
            > > while the wash heats up. You'll find that it starts quite foamy,
            > but
            > > then goes really "solidsy". after gettingt most of that off I
            > usually
            > > don't have a problem (although I only half fill my boiler for rum
            > > runs).
            > > Cheers,
            > > Rob.
            > >

            > > --- Ian Kent <kegscruiser@g...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > Hi All,
            > > >
            > > > My wash of 4kg white sugar/4kg blackstrap molasses has foamed
            > during
            > > > distillation.
            > > > No foaming at all during fermentation.
            > > > The wash was 15.5% and I had about 20L in a 25L still.
            > > >
            > > > I've checked around and in addition to reducing the volume
            > > > (increasing
            > > > headspace) It has been suggested to add some butter (not
            > margarine).
            > > >
            > > > Has any other Rum maker experienced this and is butter a good
            > start
            > > > reducing foaming?
            > > >

            > > > Thanks,
            > > >

            > > > Ian..

            > > Cheers,
            > > Rob.

            > > Yahoo! DSL � Something to write home about.
            > > Just $16.99/mo. or less.
            > > dsl.yahoo.com

            Cheers,
            Rob.

            Just $16.99/mo. or less.
            dsl.yahoo.com
          • Robert Thomas
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
              Just one parting shot Ian. I don't like oil/butter/fat if only because
              then you have to use detergent to clean the pot. It's not a "no no",
              just another step in cleaning. Why use anything other than warm water
              if you can help it.
              Cheers,
              Rob.
              p.s. plus I guess parsimony made me use too little oil, and it wasn't
              really helpful. If you're gonna go for it make sure there is a good
              slick on the surface.

              --- Ian Kent <kegscruiser@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Rob and Kim,
              >
              > I'll use both your methods and let you know how I go.
              >
              > Many thanks for your great suggestions.
              >

              > Ian..
              >

              > On 1/3/06, where in the world is kim
              > <whereintheworldiskim@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Ian
              > >
              > > I have had some foaming with molasses wash especially if the
              > fermentation
              > > did not finish completely. I make sure that there is about 1/3
              > voluum
              > > head
              > > space in the boiler and I pour 1/4 cup of olive oil on top of the
              > wash
              > > before heating the still. this seems to work
              > >
              > > Kim

              Cheers,
              Rob.

              __________________________________
            • S E
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
                other threads have suggested olive oil about 1/4 cup...this problem comes up
                quite often.

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "S E"
                  <blackrabbit.namespace@h...> wrote:

                  > other threads have suggested olive oil about 1/4 cup...this
                  problem comes up
                  > quite often.

                  Yup. But there's a particular reason why distillers use AND
                  advocate butter. It is natural animal fat, and the active
                  ingredient for both smell & taste is (wait for it)...DIACETYL. Yep,
                  the same compound found in ALL grain fermentations, which brewers
                  try to reduce by letting the finished ferment have a 2 day diacetyl
                  rest. Getting the picture?

                  IF some of it manages to find its way into the distillate (a natural
                  part of Scotch profile), then there's no harm done. Whereas if vege
                  oils distill over, blind Freddie can tell there's something amiss.

                  Subtlety is the hallmark of this hobby, particularly when trying for
                  flavoured spirits.

                  HTH
                • S E
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
                    Thanks Harry, I have been properly smacked...;-)

                    .br.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 4, 2006
                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "S E"
                      <blackrabbit.namespace@h...> wrote:

                      > Thanks Harry, I have been properly smacked...;-)
                      >
                      > .br.

                      Nah. We don't smack here (too kinky). We just ermmm...'actively
                      insist'. LOL

                    • Ian Kent
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 4, 2006
                        Overnight while dreaming of my next potato/grain wash I though about the
                        molasses foam and the way I do things.
                        When I decant from fermenter to the still, I allow the liquid to drop quite
                        a distance which aerates the wash considerably. Would this aeration assist
                        in the foaming?

                        Ian..

                      • donald holcombe
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 4, 2006
                          The tumbling and churning would remove any suspended gas left from the ferment. The foaming can be blamed mostly on the protein content of the wash.

                          Ian Kent <kegscruiser@...> wrote: Overnight while dreaming of my next potato/grain wash I though about the