Re: [new_distillers] Molasses wash foaming during distillation

  • sonum norbu
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
      From: "Robert Thomas"
      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Molasses wash foaming during
      distillation
      Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 00:17:11 -0800 (PST)

      Hi ian,
      foaming goes with the terrain. The most effective way of not filling
      your column with goop is to skim off the foam with a slotted spoon
      while the wash heats up. You'll find that it starts quite foamy, but
      then goes really "solidsy". after gettingt most of that off I usually
      don't have a problem (although I only half fill my boiler for rum
      runs).
      Cheers,
      Rob.

      --- Ian Kent <kegscruiser@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > My wash of 4kg white sugar/4kg blackstrap molasses has foamed during
      > distillation.
      > No foaming at all during fermentation.
      > The wash was 15.5% and I had about 20L in a 25L still.
      >
      > I've checked around and in addition to reducing the volume
      > (increasing
      > headspace) It has been suggested to add some butter (not margarine).
      >
      > Has any other Rum maker experienced this and is butter a good start
      > reducing foaming?
      >

      > Thanks,
      >

      > Ian..

      Cheers,
      Rob.

      SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
      http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
      IRC server tessnet.cx

    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
        Rob, do you have problems with half filled boiler if you don't skim
        the foam?

        - Riku

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas
        <whosbrewing@y...> wrote:

        > Hi ian,
        > foaming goes with the terrain. The most effective way of not
        filling
        > your column with goop is to skim off the foam with a slotted spoon
        > while the wash heats up. You'll find that it starts quite foamy,
        but
        > then goes really "solidsy". after gettingt most of that off I
        usually
        > don't have a problem (although I only half fill my boiler for rum
        > runs).
        > Cheers,
        > Rob.
        >

        > --- Ian Kent <kegscruiser@g...> wrote:
        >
        > > Hi All,
        > >
        > > My wash of 4kg white sugar/4kg blackstrap molasses has foamed
        during
        > > distillation.
        > > No foaming at all during fermentation.
        > > The wash was 15.5% and I had about 20L in a 25L still.
        > >
        > > I've checked around and in addition to reducing the volume
        > > (increasing
        > > headspace) It has been suggested to add some butter (not
        margarine).

        > > Has any other Rum maker experienced this and is butter a good
        start
        > > reducing foaming?
        > >

        > > Thanks,
        > >

        > > Ian..

        > Cheers,
        > Rob.

        > Just $16.99/mo. or less.
        > dsl.yahoo.com

      • where in the world is kim
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
          Ian

          I have had some foaming with molasses wash especially if the fermentation
          did not finish completely. I make sure that there is about 1/3 voluum head
          space in the boiler and I pour 1/4 cup of olive oil on top of the wash
          before heating the still. this seems to work

          Kim

          > My wash of 4kg white sugar/4kg blackstrap molasses has foamed during
          > distillation.
          > No foaming at all during fermentation.
          > The wash was 15.5% and I had about 20L in a 25L still.
          >
          > I've checked around and in addition to reducing the volume (increasing
          > headspace) It has been suggested to add some butter (not margarine).
          >
          > Has any other Rum maker experienced this and is butter a good start to
          > reducing foaming?
          >

          > Thanks,
          >

          > Ian..

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Ian Kent
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
            Thanks Rob and Kim,

            I'll use both your methods and let you know how I go.

            Many thanks for your great suggestions.

            Ian..

            On 1/3/06, where in the world is kim <whereintheworldiskim@...>
            wrote:

            > Ian
            >
            > I have had some foaming with molasses wash especially if the fermentation
            > did not finish completely. I make sure that there is about 1/3 voluum
            > head
            > space in the boiler and I pour 1/4 cup of olive oil on top of the wash
            > before heating the still. this seems to work
            >
            > Kim

          • Robert Thomas
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
              Definately when using dunder, presumably due to the concentration of
              "sh*t" in the dunder. Otherwise not so much, but I've still foamed into
              the column (well, not me, the wash!)
              Cheers,
              Rob.

              --- abbababbaccc <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

              > Rob, do you have problems with half filled boiler if you don't skim
              > the foam?
              >
              > - Riku
              >
              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas
              > <whosbrewing@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi ian,
              > > foaming goes with the terrain. The most effective way of not
              > filling
              > > your column with goop is to skim off the foam with a slotted spoon
              > > while the wash heats up. You'll find that it starts quite foamy,
              > but
              > > then goes really "solidsy". after gettingt most of that off I
              > usually
              > > don't have a problem (although I only half fill my boiler for rum
              > > runs).
              > > Cheers,
              > > Rob.
              > >

              > > --- Ian Kent <kegscruiser@g...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > Hi All,
              > > >
              > > > My wash of 4kg white sugar/4kg blackstrap molasses has foamed
              > during
              > > > distillation.
              > > > No foaming at all during fermentation.
              > > > The wash was 15.5% and I had about 20L in a 25L still.
              > > >
              > > > I've checked around and in addition to reducing the volume
              > > > (increasing
              > > > headspace) It has been suggested to add some butter (not
              > margarine).
              > > >
              > > > Has any other Rum maker experienced this and is butter a good
              > start
              > > > reducing foaming?
              > > >

              > > > Thanks,
              > > >

              > > > Ian..

              > > Cheers,
              > > Rob.

              > > Yahoo! DSL � Something to write home about.
              > > Just $16.99/mo. or less.
              > > dsl.yahoo.com

              Cheers,
              Rob.

              Just $16.99/mo. or less.
              dsl.yahoo.com
            • Robert Thomas
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
                Just one parting shot Ian. I don't like oil/butter/fat if only because
                then you have to use detergent to clean the pot. It's not a "no no",
                just another step in cleaning. Why use anything other than warm water
                if you can help it.
                Cheers,
                Rob.
                p.s. plus I guess parsimony made me use too little oil, and it wasn't
                really helpful. If you're gonna go for it make sure there is a good
                slick on the surface.

                --- Ian Kent <kegscruiser@...> wrote:

                > Thanks Rob and Kim,
                >
                > I'll use both your methods and let you know how I go.
                >
                > Many thanks for your great suggestions.
                >

                > Ian..
                >

                > On 1/3/06, where in the world is kim
                > <whereintheworldiskim@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Ian
                > >
                > > I have had some foaming with molasses wash especially if the
                > fermentation
                > > did not finish completely. I make sure that there is about 1/3
                > voluum
                > > head
                > > space in the boiler and I pour 1/4 cup of olive oil on top of the
                > wash
                > > before heating the still. this seems to work
                > >
                > > Kim

                Cheers,
                Rob.

                __________________________________
              • S E
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
                  other threads have suggested olive oil about 1/4 cup...this problem comes up
                  quite often.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "S E"
                    <blackrabbit.namespace@h...> wrote:

                    > other threads have suggested olive oil about 1/4 cup...this
                    problem comes up
                    > quite often.

                    Yup. But there's a particular reason why distillers use AND
                    advocate butter. It is natural animal fat, and the active
                    ingredient for both smell & taste is (wait for it)...DIACETYL. Yep,
                    the same compound found in ALL grain fermentations, which brewers
                    try to reduce by letting the finished ferment have a 2 day diacetyl
                    rest. Getting the picture?

                    IF some of it manages to find its way into the distillate (a natural
                    part of Scotch profile), then there's no harm done. Whereas if vege
                    oils distill over, blind Freddie can tell there's something amiss.

                    Subtlety is the hallmark of this hobby, particularly when trying for
                    flavoured spirits.

                    HTH
                  • S E
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
                      Thanks Harry, I have been properly smacked...;-)

                      .br.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 4, 2006
                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "S E"
                        <blackrabbit.namespace@h...> wrote:

                        > Thanks Harry, I have been properly smacked...;-)
                        >
                        > .br.

                        Nah. We don't smack here (too kinky). We just ermmm...'actively
                        insist'. LOL

                      • Ian Kent
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 4, 2006
                          Overnight while dreaming of my next potato/grain wash I though about the
                          molasses foam and the way I do things.
                          When I decant from fermenter to the still, I allow the liquid to drop quite
                          a distance which aerates the wash considerably. Would this aeration assist
                          in the foaming?

                          Ian..

                        • donald holcombe
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 4, 2006
                            The tumbling and churning would remove any suspended gas left from the ferment. The foaming can be blamed mostly on the protein content of the wash.

                            Ian Kent <kegscruiser@...> wrote: Overnight while dreaming of my next potato/grain wash I though about the