Molasses wash foaming during distillation

  • Ian Kent
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 2, 2006
      Hi All,

      My wash of 4kg white sugar/4kg blackstrap molasses has foamed during
      distillation.
      No foaming at all during fermentation.
      The wash was 15.5% and I had about 20L in a 25L still.

      I've checked around and in addition to reducing the volume (increasing
      headspace) It has been suggested to add some butter (not margarine).

      Has any other Rum maker experienced this and is butter a good start to
      reducing foaming?

      Thanks,

      Ian..

    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
        Hi ian,
        foaming goes with the terrain. The most effective way of not filling
        your column with goop is to skim off the foam with a slotted spoon
        while the wash heats up. You'll find that it starts quite foamy, but
        then goes really "solidsy". after gettingt most of that off I usually
        don't have a problem (although I only half fill my boiler for rum
        runs).
        Cheers,
        Rob.

        --- Ian Kent <kegscruiser@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > My wash of 4kg white sugar/4kg blackstrap molasses has foamed during
        > distillation.
        > No foaming at all during fermentation.
        > The wash was 15.5% and I had about 20L in a 25L still.
        >
        > I've checked around and in addition to reducing the volume
        > (increasing
        > headspace) It has been suggested to add some butter (not margarine).
        >
        > Has any other Rum maker experienced this and is butter a good start
        > reducing foaming?
        >

        > Thanks,
        >

        > Ian..

        Cheers,
        Rob.

        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
        dsl.yahoo.com
      • sonum norbu
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006

          --- Ian Kent <kegscruiser@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > My wash of 4kg white sugar/4kg blackstrap molasses has foamed during
          > distillation.
          > No foaming at all during fermentation.
          > The wash was 15.5% and I had about 20L in a 25L still.
          >
          > I've checked around and in addition to reducing the volume
          > (increasing
          > headspace) It has been suggested to add some butter (not margarine).
          >
          > Has any other Rum maker experienced this and is butter a good start
          > reducing foaming?
          >

          > Thanks,
          >

          > Ian..

          Cheers,
          Rob.

          SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
          http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
          IRC server tessnet.cx

        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
            Rob, do you have problems with half filled boiler if you don't skim
            the foam?

            - Riku

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas
            <whosbrewing@y...> wrote:

            > Hi ian,
            > foaming goes with the terrain. The most effective way of not
            filling
            > your column with goop is to skim off the foam with a slotted spoon
            > while the wash heats up. You'll find that it starts quite foamy,
            but
            > then goes really "solidsy". after gettingt most of that off I
            usually
            > don't have a problem (although I only half fill my boiler for rum
            > runs).
            > Cheers,
            > Rob.
            >

            > --- Ian Kent <kegscruiser@g...> wrote:
            >
            > > Hi All,
            > >
            > > My wash of 4kg white sugar/4kg blackstrap molasses has foamed
            during
            > > distillation.
            > > No foaming at all during fermentation.
            > > The wash was 15.5% and I had about 20L in a 25L still.
            > >
            > > I've checked around and in addition to reducing the volume
            > > (increasing
            > > headspace) It has been suggested to add some butter (not
            margarine).

            > > Has any other Rum maker experienced this and is butter a good
            start
            > > reducing foaming?
            > >

            > > Thanks,
            > >

            > > Ian..

            > Cheers,
            > Rob.

            > Just $16.99/mo. or less.
            > dsl.yahoo.com

          • where in the world is kim
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
              Ian

              I have had some foaming with molasses wash especially if the fermentation
              did not finish completely. I make sure that there is about 1/3 voluum head
              space in the boiler and I pour 1/4 cup of olive oil on top of the wash
              before heating the still. this seems to work

              Kim

              > My wash of 4kg white sugar/4kg blackstrap molasses has foamed during
              > distillation.
              > No foaming at all during fermentation.
              > The wash was 15.5% and I had about 20L in a 25L still.
              >
              > I've checked around and in addition to reducing the volume (increasing
              > headspace) It has been suggested to add some butter (not margarine).
              >
              > Has any other Rum maker experienced this and is butter a good start to
              > reducing foaming?
              >

              > Thanks,
              >

              > Ian..

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Ian Kent
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
                Thanks Rob and Kim,

                I'll use both your methods and let you know how I go.

                Many thanks for your great suggestions.

                Ian..

                On 1/3/06, where in the world is kim <whereintheworldiskim@...>
                wrote:

                > Ian
                >
                > I have had some foaming with molasses wash especially if the fermentation
                > did not finish completely. I make sure that there is about 1/3 voluum
                > head
                > space in the boiler and I pour 1/4 cup of olive oil on top of the wash
                > before heating the still. this seems to work
                >
                > Kim

              • Robert Thomas
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
                  Definately when using dunder, presumably due to the concentration of
                  "sh*t" in the dunder. Otherwise not so much, but I've still foamed into
                  the column (well, not me, the wash!)
                  Cheers,
                  Rob.

                  --- abbababbaccc <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

                  > Rob, do you have problems with half filled boiler if you don't skim
                  > the foam?
                  >
                  > - Riku
                  >
                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas
                  > <whosbrewing@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi ian,
                  > > foaming goes with the terrain. The most effective way of not
                  > filling
                  > > your column with goop is to skim off the foam with a slotted spoon
                  > > while the wash heats up. You'll find that it starts quite foamy,
                  > but
                  > > then goes really "solidsy". after gettingt most of that off I
                  > usually
                  > > don't have a problem (although I only half fill my boiler for rum
                  > > runs).
                  > > Cheers,
                  > > Rob.
                  > >

                  > > --- Ian Kent <kegscruiser@g...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Hi All,
                  > > >
                  > > > My wash of 4kg white sugar/4kg blackstrap molasses has foamed
                  > during
                  > > > distillation.
                  > > > No foaming at all during fermentation.
                  > > > The wash was 15.5% and I had about 20L in a 25L still.
                  > > >
                  > > > I've checked around and in addition to reducing the volume
                  > > > (increasing
                  > > > headspace) It has been suggested to add some butter (not
                  > margarine).
                  > > >
                  > > > Has any other Rum maker experienced this and is butter a good
                  > start
                  > > > reducing foaming?
                  > > >

                  > > > Thanks,
                  > > >

                  > > > Ian..

                  > > Cheers,
                  > > Rob.

                  > > Yahoo! DSL � Something to write home about.
                  > > Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                  > > dsl.yahoo.com

                  Cheers,
                  Rob.

                  Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                  dsl.yahoo.com
                • Robert Thomas
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
                    Just one parting shot Ian. I don't like oil/butter/fat if only because
                    then you have to use detergent to clean the pot. It's not a "no no",
                    just another step in cleaning. Why use anything other than warm water
                    if you can help it.
                    Cheers,
                    Rob.
                    p.s. plus I guess parsimony made me use too little oil, and it wasn't
                    really helpful. If you're gonna go for it make sure there is a good
                    slick on the surface.

                    --- Ian Kent <kegscruiser@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks Rob and Kim,
                    >
                    > I'll use both your methods and let you know how I go.
                    >
                    > Many thanks for your great suggestions.
                    >

                    > Ian..
                    >

                    > On 1/3/06, where in the world is kim
                    > <whereintheworldiskim@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Ian
                    > >
                    > > I have had some foaming with molasses wash especially if the
                    > fermentation
                    > > did not finish completely. I make sure that there is about 1/3
                    > voluum
                    > > head
                    > > space in the boiler and I pour 1/4 cup of olive oil on top of the
                    > wash
                    > > before heating the still. this seems to work
                    > >
                    > > Kim

                    Cheers,
                    Rob.

                    __________________________________
                  • S E
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
                      other threads have suggested olive oil about 1/4 cup...this problem comes up
                      quite often.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "S E"
                        <blackrabbit.namespace@h...> wrote:

                        > other threads have suggested olive oil about 1/4 cup...this
                        problem comes up
                        > quite often.

                        Yup. But there's a particular reason why distillers use AND
                        advocate butter. It is natural animal fat, and the active
                        ingredient for both smell & taste is (wait for it)...DIACETYL. Yep,
                        the same compound found in ALL grain fermentations, which brewers
                        try to reduce by letting the finished ferment have a 2 day diacetyl
                        rest. Getting the picture?

                        IF some of it manages to find its way into the distillate (a natural
                        part of Scotch profile), then there's no harm done. Whereas if vege
                        oils distill over, blind Freddie can tell there's something amiss.

                        Subtlety is the hallmark of this hobby, particularly when trying for
                        flavoured spirits.

                        HTH
                      • S E
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
                          Thanks Harry, I have been properly smacked...;-)

                          .br.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 4, 2006
                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "S E"
                            <blackrabbit.namespace@h...> wrote:

                            > Thanks Harry, I have been properly smacked...;-)
                            >
                            > .br.

                            Nah. We don't smack here (too kinky). We just ermmm...'actively
                            insist'. LOL

                          • Ian Kent
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 4, 2006
                              Overnight while dreaming of my next potato/grain wash I though about the
                              molasses foam and the way I do things.
                              When I decant from fermenter to the still, I allow the liquid to drop quite
                              a distance which aerates the wash considerably. Would this aeration assist
                              in the foaming?

                              Ian..

                            • donald holcombe
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 4, 2006
                                The tumbling and churning would remove any suspended gas left from the ferment. The foaming can be blamed mostly on the protein content of the wash.

                                Ian Kent <kegscruiser@...> wrote: Overnight while dreaming of my next potato/grain wash I though about the