Re: [new_distillers] Re: double distillation

  • sonum norbu
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 1, 2006
      My guess is to ensure that there is always plenty of water in the kettle
      rather than large volumes of etho...blanikdog

      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 1, 2006
        "waljaco" <waljaco@h...> wrote:

        > What is the advantage in reducing the low-wines to 40%abv for
        > redistillation?
        > wal

        Hi the reason to dilute the run, is when diluted it leaves more in
        boiler from second run. If you do not dilute you concentrate the
        fusels and do not get much better separation on the second run. It
        needs more liquid to spread the fusels over to get better separation
        on subsequent runs. As 5% of your product is a mixture of what is in
        the boiler it is much better to have a lower concentration of low wines.
        I hope this makes sense.

        Happy drinking
        Stevo
      • Stillwaters
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 1, 2006
          There is some very good discussion on the topic starting at message
          #31403 in the Distillers forum with comments from Mike Nixon et. al.
          Or you can search the archives for "Still heating - Points to
          ponder".
          Made a believer out of me!
          Regards
          SW

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stevolate" <stevolate@y...>

          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 1, 2006
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...>
            wrote:

            > What is the advantage in reducing the low-wines to 40%abv for
            > redistillation?
            > wal

            There are a few advantages to it. The first & most obvious is
            safety. It lessens the risk of explosion should something go
            wrong. Underproof spirit is harder to burn than proof or overproof
            spirit. U.P. will still burn, if heated up, but it's more
            difficult, therefore it is easier to quickly control in a fire
            situation.

            Another advantage, again for safety, pertains exclusively to
            internally heated electric stills. The extra water virtually
            guarantees the elements will remain covered with liquid once the
            distillation has finished.

            A third, and most important advantage in potstilling, is that there
            are not as many water/ethanol hydrogen bonds to break, making the
            separation quicker and easier, and also lessening the risk
            of 'scorching' (still possible, even in spirit runs). This has the
            added bonus of making the cuts much more distinct, therefore a
            better product is the result.

            This is all relevant to double potstilling, but if you run a reflux
            still in the same manner (strip and then spirit run) the benefits
            will apply there also. Try it sometime. You may be surprised at
            the results.

          • sonum norbu
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 1, 2006
              Thanks Harry. A few more questions. Can I add more less than succesfull
              product into the feints jar for the second distillation? And, would the
              constant adding of heads tend to concentrate the nasties...Blanikdog.

              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 1, 2006
                Thanks. What an interesting read. Answered some other questions I had
                been pondering but didn't quite know how to put them...Blanikdog

                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 1, 2006
                  wrote:

                  > Thanks Harry. A few more questions. Can I add more less than
                  succesfull
                  > product into the feints jar for the second distillation?

                  ......Yes

                  And, would the
                  > constant adding of heads tend to concentrate the nasties...Blanikdog.

                  .......Very good question. Read this, and save/bookmark it...

                  E-pistle #13/11 - Ask an Anorak: Where Do The Heads & Tails Go?
                  Compiled on 26/02/2005 by Johannes van den Heuvel, Holland

                  Near the Bottom of the page...
                  http://www.maltmadness.com/mm13.html

                  There's a wealth of info on that site. Don't lose it.

                • sonum norbu
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 1, 2006
                    Thanks Harry. Isn't that bloody amazing!!!!!! What a good site...Graham