Re: double distillation

  • waljaco
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 31, 2005
      What is the advantage in reducing the low-wines to 40%abv for
      redistillation?
      wal

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@o...> wrote:

      > Thanks Harry. I'll keep you informed of my progress but it's so hot at
      > the moment that the old shed with the old still is unbearable. Probably
      > don't even need a heat source. :)) blanikdog

      Service.

      > "Most of the troubles of the world are caused by human beings".
      (Shakyamuni Buddha)

      > IRC server tessnet.cx
      >
      > --

    • sonum norbu
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 1, 2006
        My guess is to ensure that there is always plenty of water in the kettle
        rather than large volumes of etho...blanikdog

        What is the advantage in reducing the low-wines to 40%abv for
        redistillation?
        wal

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@o...> wrote:

        > Thanks Harry. I'll keep you informed of my progress but it's so hot at
        > the moment that the old shed with the old still is unbearable. Probably
        > don't even need a heat source. :)) blanikdog

        SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
        http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
        IRC server tessnet.cx

      • stevolate
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 1, 2006
          "waljaco" <waljaco@h...> wrote:

          > What is the advantage in reducing the low-wines to 40%abv for
          > redistillation?
          > wal

          Hi the reason to dilute the run, is when diluted it leaves more in
          boiler from second run. If you do not dilute you concentrate the
          fusels and do not get much better separation on the second run. It
          needs more liquid to spread the fusels over to get better separation
          on subsequent runs. As 5% of your product is a mixture of what is in
          the boiler it is much better to have a lower concentration of low wines.
          I hope this makes sense.

          Happy drinking
          Stevo
        • Stillwaters
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 1, 2006
            There is some very good discussion on the topic starting at message
            #31403 in the Distillers forum with comments from Mike Nixon et. al.
            Or you can search the archives for "Still heating - Points to
            ponder".
            Made a believer out of me!
            Regards
            SW

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stevolate" <stevolate@y...>

            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 1, 2006
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...>
              wrote:

              > What is the advantage in reducing the low-wines to 40%abv for
              > redistillation?
              > wal

              There are a few advantages to it. The first & most obvious is
              safety. It lessens the risk of explosion should something go
              wrong. Underproof spirit is harder to burn than proof or overproof
              spirit. U.P. will still burn, if heated up, but it's more
              difficult, therefore it is easier to quickly control in a fire
              situation.

              Another advantage, again for safety, pertains exclusively to
              internally heated electric stills. The extra water virtually
              guarantees the elements will remain covered with liquid once the
              distillation has finished.

              A third, and most important advantage in potstilling, is that there
              are not as many water/ethanol hydrogen bonds to break, making the
              separation quicker and easier, and also lessening the risk
              of 'scorching' (still possible, even in spirit runs). This has the
              added bonus of making the cuts much more distinct, therefore a
              better product is the result.

              This is all relevant to double potstilling, but if you run a reflux
              still in the same manner (strip and then spirit run) the benefits
              will apply there also. Try it sometime. You may be surprised at
              the results.

            • sonum norbu
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 1, 2006
                Thanks Harry. A few more questions. Can I add more less than succesfull
                product into the feints jar for the second distillation? And, would the
                constant adding of heads tend to concentrate the nasties...Blanikdog.

                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 1, 2006
                  Thanks. What an interesting read. Answered some other questions I had
                  been pondering but didn't quite know how to put them...Blanikdog

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 1, 2006
                    wrote:

                    > Thanks Harry. A few more questions. Can I add more less than
                    succesfull
                    > product into the feints jar for the second distillation?

                    ......Yes

                    And, would the
                    > constant adding of heads tend to concentrate the nasties...Blanikdog.

                    .......Very good question. Read this, and save/bookmark it...

                    E-pistle #13/11 - Ask an Anorak: Where Do The Heads & Tails Go?
                    Compiled on 26/02/2005 by Johannes van den Heuvel, Holland

                    Near the Bottom of the page...
                    http://www.maltmadness.com/mm13.html

                    There's a wealth of info on that site. Don't lose it.

                  • sonum norbu
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 1, 2006
                      Thanks Harry. Isn't that bloody amazing!!!!!! What a good site...Graham