Re: [new_distillers] safe circuit

  • Dean Thomas
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 27, 2005
      Hi Luke,

      Knowing the country and even the state you are in and the voltage of the
      circuit you have would help a lot but here we go.
      Is the 30 amp fuse the original (the size fuse that the circuit has always
      had and was designed to have)? Is the wiring all in good condition? If so
      all you have to do is multiply the voltage of the circuit by the amp rating
      of the fuse to find the wattage capacity.
      Eg. 240 x 30 = 7200 watts (240 volts it the Australian standard check the
      voltages for your area)
      even a standard 10amp circuit at 240 volts should handle 2400watts.
      As long as you keep your usage atleast 10% below this you should be safe.
      Now having said that IF your not sure of the original fuse size have the
      circuit checked.

      Remember electricity kills, if you can't be sure dont do it it's just not
      worth it.
      Dean.

      > I have about 1840w running threw about 20 feet of 12 an 14 gauge wire.
      > There is also an over head garage light on that circuit. there is a 30
      > amp fuse on the circuit, my question is, is this a safe set up?
      >
      > thanks
      > Luke
    • morganfield1
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 28, 2005
        In a word, NO.
        Where I am, 14 ga.wire would have no more than a 15 amp fuse, and 12
        ga. a 20 amp. At 110 volts, you're running 16.8 amps (not to mention
        the light). JMSO
        Tip one, Fireball Morgan

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "enibnikrib" <manson@i...> wrote:

        > I have about 1840w running threw about 20 feet of 12 an 14 gauge wire.
        > There is also an over head garage light on that circuit. there is a 30
        > amp fuse on the circuit, my question is, is this a safe set up?
        >
        > thanks
        > Luke

      • enibnikrib
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 29, 2005
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "morganfield1"
          <morganfield1@y...> wrote:

          > In a word, NO.
          > Where I am, 14 ga.wire would have no more than a 15 amp fuse, and 12
          > ga. a 20 amp. At 110 volts, you're running 16.8 amps (not to mention
          > the light). JMSO
          > Tip one, Fireball Morgan
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "enibnikrib" <manson@i...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have about 1840w running threw about 20 feet of 12 an 14 gauge wire.
          > > There is also an over head garage light on that circuit. there is a 30
          > > amp fuse on the circuit, my question is, is this a safe set up?
          > >
          > > thanks
          > > Luke

          Hi Morgan

          I changed the fuse to 20 amp. that box is full of 30 amp. fuses. They
          have been there since I have owned the house, about 20 years. Guess I
          gotta get another power strip because this one is rated at 15 amp. I
          thought I would put each element on seperate power strips. The
          florescent light still dims, nobody can figure that one out. There is
          no power drop. I feel a little safer with the lower amp. fuses.

          thanks

          Luke