Help

  • riki
    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 20, 2005
      Hallo everybody!
      I have built a still as it's explained in the document "Building a
      home distillation apparatus" (Internal Reflux model) and I have
      provided a drawing of it in the document division.
      I'd like to ask you some things about my still and other ones about
      how I can go on with the distillation...
      But...let's start from the beginning...Should I put a thermometer
      which measured the temperature of the liquid fluid which icontained
      into the boiler (that is a wine/oil container)? If it's so, where
      have I to put the thermometer? I'm thinking to take advantage of the
      thread hole which is there for an eventual tap (it's placed on the
      bottom of the boiler)...I could screw down on it an L pipe and on
      the top of this pipe I could place the thermometer!
      What do you think about? You think it could be a good idea, or could
      I run the risk that the flame temperature would influence my
      measuring?

      Another question about the boiler...I should build a sort of little
      basket which could contain solid/muddy matters...could you give me
      some suggests?

      And about the distillation process...could you be so kind to explain
      me how I can do a distillation cycle? I'd need just a "step-by-step
      lesson", starting from the flame until arrive to the tails...I'd get
      lots of advanteges from it!!! (Obviously if somebody of you would be
      so kind to!)

      Could you also explain me how can I use that object
      called "densimeter"?

      The last question now...I'd like to place a "dome" (here in Italy
      called "duomo") where now I have a flat cover (a lid)...What do you
      advice me? How can I do?

      Thank you very much for your attention, and sorry for my English
      (I'm Italian) and for the lenght of this post!!!

      See you soon, Riki.
    • greg tufts
      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 20, 2005
        Welcome
        as you are a novice distiller you will find it
        beneficial
        to join our sister group
        Most of your questions can be answered here
        http://homedistiller.org/
        Hope you enjoy
        cheers
        greg

        ---------------------------------

        New Distillers group archives are at
        http://archive.nnytech.net/
        FAQ and other information available at
        http://homedistiller.org

        Terms of Service.

        ---------------------------------

      • greg tufts
        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 20, 2005
          Oops, you're already here in new_distillers
          sorry
          cheers
          greg

          --- riki <righign@...> wrote:

          ---------------------------------
[...]

        • sonum norbu
          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 20, 2005
            That confused me, but at my age I'm easily confused. Blanikdog. :)

            --- riki <righign@...> wrote:

            ---------------------------------
[...]

            SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
            http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
            IRC server tessnet.cx

          • Lindsay Williams
            Message 5 of 29 , Dec 20, 2005
              The thermometer has to measure vapour temp not wash (boiler) temp. So
              put a bung in the top of the column and feed the thermometer through
              it so that the bulb is in line with the outlet.

              It's a pity many new distillers fasten on that darn through-tube
              design. Cooling tubes through a reflux column destroy the equilibrium.
              OK, it will give you alcohol but not of a high purity. You should
              probably think of your still as a souped up pot still and look to
              manage it as such.

              The dome won't be of any benefit so forget it.

              Follow Greg's links, especially homedistiller.org. Your questions will
              be answered there.

              Don't worry about your English - it's a darn sight better than most of
              our Italian!

              Ciao,
              Lindsay.

              Message 6 of 29 , Dec 20, 2005
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "riki" <righign@a...> wrote:

                > Hallo everybody!
                > I have built a still as it's explained in the document "Building a
                > home distillation apparatus" (Internal Reflux model) and I have
                > provided a drawing of it in the document division.
                > I'd like to ask you some things about my still and other ones
                about
                > how I can go on with the distillation...
                > But...let's start from the beginning...Should I put a thermometer
                > which measured the temperature of the liquid fluid which
                icontained
                > into the boiler (that is a wine/oil container)? If it's so, where
                > have I to put the thermometer? I'm thinking to take advantage of
                the
                > thread hole which is there for an eventual tap (it's placed on the
                > bottom of the boiler)...I could screw down on it an L pipe and on
                > the top of this pipe I could place the thermometer!
                > What do you think about? You think it could be a good idea, or
                could
                > I run the risk that the flame temperature would influence my
                > measuring?
                >
                > Another question about the boiler...I should build a sort of
                little
                > basket which could contain solid/muddy matters...could you give me
                > some suggests?
                >
                > And about the distillation process...could you be so kind to
                explain
                > me how I can do a distillation cycle? I'd need just a "step-by-
                step
                > lesson", starting from the flame until arrive to the tails...I'd
                get
                > lots of advanteges from it!!! (Obviously if somebody of you would
                be
                > so kind to!)
                >
                > Could you also explain me how can I use that object
                > called "densimeter"?
                >
                > The last question now...I'd like to place a "dome" (here in Italy
                > called "duomo") where now I have a flat cover (a lid)...What do
                you
                > advice me? How can I do?
                >
                > Thank you very much for your attention, and sorry for my English
                > (I'm Italian) and for the lenght of this post!!!
                >
                > See you soon, Riki.

                Hi Riki,
                Please make pics/drawings into .jpg files. I have changed your .bmp
                file (1,257kb) to .jpg (23kb). Big difference huh, but same view
                size...
                20riki.JPG

                Last time you were here, you talked about buying or building a still
                to do grappa and other flavours like whisky, rum etc. Now you have
                built one, a potstill. You don't need a thermometer in the boiler.
                You do need one at the top where the vapour goes over into the
                condenser.

                To operate it, I suggest you talk to your countryman, Micio Felice.
                He is a member of our other Distiller's group, and the language will
                not be any problem. He does grappa also. His email...
                miciofelice2003@...

              • morganfield1
                Message 7 of 29 , Dec 20, 2005
                  Hi Riki,
                  Lindsay is correct in pointing out that the important temporature is
                  the vapor temp at the take off point of the column. At the risk of
                  drawing the rath of many on this group, I also have a thermometer on
                  my boiler, it tells me two things. It tells me when the boiler is
                  coming up to boiling temp, and gives me an idea of how much alchohol
                  is left in the wash (i.e., as the temp reaches 100 degrees, it's
                  getting short of etoh). This last bit is not related to the main cut,
                  but lets me know the quantity of tails left in the bucket. If you
                  have one thermometer, put in the column. Good luck, and I also
                  say, "read http\\:homedistiller.org" many of your questions will be
                  answered there. You will also gain a better understanding of what and
                  why things happen in a still.
                  Tip one, Morgan

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams"
                  <lindsay.nz@g...> wrote:

                  > The thermometer has to measure vapour temp not wash (boiler) temp.
                  So
                  > put a bung in the top of the column and feed the thermometer through
                  > it so that the bulb is in line with the outlet.

                • miciofelice2003
                  Message 8 of 29 , Dec 23, 2005
                    Hi, Morgan.

                    Yes, you are right.

                    My still has a thermometer measuring the liquid temperature, too: in
                    my opinion is useful to have it. You said that you can know when the
                    boiler is coming up to boiling temperature: let me add that such in
                    this way you can also know exactly the alcohol degree of your liquid.

                    I by now know the "behaviour" of my still and so, reading the liquid
                    temperature, I can also know the remaining time to the end of
                    distillation because I stop to collect when the liquid temperature is
                    about 97 °C, that involve a top column temperature of 92 °C and a
                    collected alcohol degree of about 60 - 58 %. Overcoming those values
                    I know I'm going to run into tails.
                    So, if my boiler is at 95 °C (i.e.) I know that it take about 1.5 - 2
                    hours to stop to collect.

                    Is this also your experience?

                    ciao

                    micio felice

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "morganfield1"

                    Message 9 of 29 , Dec 24, 2005
                      Hi Micio,
                      Yes, I use the temp of the boiler to give me an indication of how
                      much alchohol is left in the boiler. I also find that the alchohol
                      diminishes, the pot temp and the head temp begin to come together.
                      Now, by this time, I'm well into tails. Also, the head temp will tell
                      you all you really need to know. When it gets to a certain temp
                      (depending on what you're making), switch to tails. But, it just
                      gives me something more to play with. Mainly, I just use it to tell
                      me when the pot is coming up to temperature, so I know when to turn
                      on the cooling water.
                      Tip one, Morgan

                      P.S. A watched still never boils!

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "miciofelice2003"
                      <miciofelice2003@y...> wrote:

                      > Hi, Morgan.
                      >
                      > Yes, you are right.
                      >
                      > My still has a thermometer measuring the liquid temperature, too:
                      in
                      > my opinion is useful to have it. You said that you can know when
                      the
                      > boiler is coming up to boiling temperature: let me add that such in
                      > this way you can also know exactly the alcohol degree of your
                      liquid.

                      > I by now know the "behaviour" of my still and so, reading the
                      liquid
                      > temperature, I can also know the remaining time to the end of
                      > distillation because I stop to collect when the liquid temperature
                      is
                      > about 97 °C, that involve a top column temperature of 92 °C and a
                      > collected alcohol degree of about 60 - 58 %. Overcoming those
                      values
                      > I know I'm going to run into tails.
                      > So, if my boiler is at 95 °C (i.e.) I know that it take about 1.5 -
                      2
                      > hours to stop to collect.
                      >
                      > Is this also your experience?
                      >
                      > ciao
                      >
                      > micio felice

                    • duds2u
                      Message 10 of 29 , May 25, 2006
                        Does anyone In Oz know where I can get peated malt. I have sourced
                        one supplier im Melbourne but they will only sell it by a 25 kilo bag
                        at $100. At this stage I don't need that much and was wondering if
                        any of you know of a supplier that will sell in smaller quantities ie
                        2 or 4Kg
                        Thanks Guys and Gals
                        Mal
                        Message 11 of 29 , May 25, 2006
                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "duds2u" <taylormc@...> wrote:

                          > Does anyone In Oz know where I can get peated malt. I have sourced
                          > one supplier im Melbourne but they will only sell it by a 25 kilo
                          bag
                          > at $100. At this stage I don't need that much and was wondering if
                          > any of you know of a supplier that will sell in smaller quantities
                          ie
                          > 2 or 4Kg
                          > Thanks Guys and Gals
                          > Mal

                          Mal,
                          That's reasonably cheap for peated malt. Use it at the rate of ~16%
                          by weight of the grain bill. Put the rest in a metal trashcan to keep
                          out the rodents, tied in a plastic bin-liner to keep out any
                          moisture. It'll remain viable for several years. $100 is only 3
                          bottles of storebought.

                        • duds2u
                          Message 12 of 29 , May 25, 2006
                            Thanks Harry.
                            Actually I was going to try your peated malt and LME recipe now that I
                            have my new shed (my bride calls it the "Infermery") and new still
                            just about completed
                            Cheers

                            > Mal,
                            > That's reasonably cheap for peated malt. Use it at the rate of ~16%
                            > by weight of the grain bill. Put the rest in a metal trashcan to
                            keep
                            > out the rodents, tied in a plastic bin-liner to keep out any
                            > moisture. It'll remain viable for several years. $100 is only 3
                            > bottles of storebought.
                            >

                            > Slainte!
                            > regards Harry

                          • duds2u
                            Message 13 of 29 , May 25, 2006
                              Thanks Harry.

                              Message 14 of 29 , May 25, 2006
                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "duds2u" <taylormc@...> wrote:

                                > Thanks Harry.
                                > Actually I was going to try your peated malt and LME recipe now
                                that I
                                > have my new shed (my bride calls it the "Infermery") and new still
                                > just about completed
                                > Cheers

                                HA!!! Infermary indeed! In that case you need a
                                few 'accessories'. TV, recliner rocker, internet connection. Oh, &
                                tell 'er indoors that it's 'invitation only'. ;-))

                                In the words of John Williamson..."All Australian boys need a shed".

                              • Peter Angus
                                Message 15 of 29 , May 25, 2006
                                  Hi Mal

                                  > Does anyone In Oz know where I can get peated malt. I have sourced
                                  > one supplier im Melbourne but they will only sell it by a 25 kilo bag
                                  > at $100. At this stage I don't need that much and was wondering if
                                  > any of you know of a supplier that will sell in smaller quantities ie
                                  > 2 or 4Kg
                                  > Thanks Guys and Gals
                                  > Mal

                                  www.grainandgrape.com sell peated malt in kg lots or more.

                                  Peter
                                • Peter Angus
                                  Message 16 of 29 , May 25, 2006
                                    Sorry, that should have been www.grainandgrape.com.au
                                  • Brad McMahon
                                    Message 17 of 29 , May 25, 2006
                                      duds2u wrote:
                                      > Does anyone In Oz know where I can get peated malt. I have sourced
                                      > one supplier im Melbourne but they will only sell it by a 25 kilo bag
                                      > at $100. At this stage I don't need that much and was wondering if
                                      > any of you know of a supplier that will sell in smaller quantities ie
                                      > 2 or 4Kg
                                      > Thanks Guys and Gals
                                      > Mal

                                      Send an email to Grumpys and see what they have left.
                                      There was at least half a bag of peated malt there last time I looked.

                                      info@...
                                      www.grumpys.com.au
                                    • duds2u
                                      Message 18 of 29 , May 26, 2006
                                        Thanks for the contacts guys.
                                        By the way the shed will be finished on Sunday evening just in time
                                        for the inaugral "mower blade sharpening"
                                        Cheers
                                        Mal

                                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Angus" <peterangus@...>

                                        Message 19 of 29 , May 26, 2006
                                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "duds2u" <taylormc@...> wrote:

                                          > Thanks for the contacts guys.
                                          > By the way the shed will be finished on Sunday evening just in time
                                          > for the inaugral "mower blade sharpening"
                                          > Cheers
                                          > Mal

                                          Hmmm...does your shed back on to the neighbour's like that TV ad? :-)

                                        • duds2u
                                          Message 20 of 29 , May 26, 2006
                                            Fortunately, no it doesn't. I get into enough trouble on my own.
                                            Cheers
                                            Mal

                                            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "duds2u" <taylormc@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Thanks for the contacts guys.
                                            > > By the way the shed will be finished on Sunday evening just in
                                            time
                                            > > for the inaugral "mower blade sharpening"
                                            > > Cheers
                                            > > Mal
                                            >

                                            > Hmmm...does your shed back on to the neighbour's like that TV
                                            ad? :-)

                                            > Slainte!
                                            > regards Harry

                                          • duds2u
                                            Message 21 of 29 , May 26, 2006
                                              Fortunately, no it doesn't. I get into enough trouble on my own.
                                              Cheers
                                              Mal

                                              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "duds2u" <taylormc@> wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > Thanks for the contacts guys.
                                              > > By the way the shed will be finished on Sunday evening just in
                                              time
                                              > > for the inaugral "mower blade sharpening"
                                              > > Cheers
                                              > > Mal
                                              >

                                              > Hmmm...does your shed back on to the neighbour's like that TV
                                              ad? :-)

                                              > Slainte!
                                              > regards Harry

                                            • sonum norbu
                                              Message 22 of 29 , May 27, 2006
                                                Where in smellbourne did you buy the peated malt?...blanikdog

                                                Actually I was going to try your peated malt and LME recipe now that
                                                have my new shed (my bride calls it the "Infermery") and new still
                                                just about completed
                                                Cheers

                                                > Mal,
                                                > That's reasonably cheap for peated malt. Use it at the rate of
                                                ~16%
                                                > by weight of the grain bill. Put the rest in a metal trashcan to
                                                keep
                                                > out the rodents, tied in a plastic bin-liner to keep out any
                                                > moisture. It'll remain viable for several years. $100 is only 3
                                                > bottles of storebought.
                                                >

                                                > Slainte!
                                                > regards Harry

                                                Food and drink Culture club Organizational culture
                                                Organizational culture change

                                                Message 23 of 29 , May 28, 2006
                                                  I don't know where it is in Melbourne. My local home brew shop owner
                                                  found it for me.
                                                  Cheers
                                                  Mal
                                                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>
                                                  wrote:

                                                  > Where in smellbourne did you buy the peated malt?...blanikdog

                                                • Peers Cawley
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Dec 12, 2008
                                                    Hello Jason,

                                                    I too am a newbie having only just built my still and run about 5
                                                    washes through. Like you I am an experienced wine maker and had a
                                                    particular goal to try pomegranite liqueur.

                                                    I started with the still using water, to flush it out and to
                                                    experiment with setup and cooling.

                                                    I have started simple three different types of wash to see which works
                                                    best for me - Tomato Puree does the trick. I have been blending
                                                    essences work absolutely great.

                                                    For my pomegranite, I started with a strong pomegranite wine and added
                                                    50 percent spirit that had been thru the stil, diluted and passed
                                                    through my carbon filter. Result excellent. Going to try same with
                                                    peaches next.

                                                    After that I am going to try UJSM which will mean running my still out
                                                    of reflux mode - getting a bit more advanced.

                                                    The moral of the story is learn to walk before you try running. A
                                                    reflux still needs a fair bit of both technical knowledge and practice
                                                    to get right.

                                                    Unlike brewing where you can really end up with something that is only
                                                    fit to flush down the toilet. Here we don't really waste anything, if
                                                    it's not fit to drink then chuck it back in the still.

                                                    I would reccomend the Home Distillation Handbook by Ola Norrman as a
                                                    good all round guide to help.

                                                    Lots of luck

                                                    Peers
                                                  • RodS
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Feb 2, 2010
                                                      Could someone tell me where to find 2 inch copper pipe and fittings.
                                                      I live in the Charlotte NC area. Thanks in advance.
                                                    • bigjim@wildblue.net
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Feb 3, 2010
                                                        http://www.mcmaster.com should have some.
                                                        Big Jim
                                                        > Could someone tell me where to find 2 inch copper pipe and fittings.
                                                        > I live in the Charlotte NC area. Thanks in advance.

                                                      • Gary Morin
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Feb 3, 2010
                                                          a plumbing supply store . Lowe's or home depot has 10ft lengths of 2inch cooper and a bunch of fittings .

                                                        • John Brase
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Feb 3, 2010
                                                            Check the big box hardware places (Lowe's, Home Depot, Menard's). You'll need to buy a full 10' piece. The price seems to be "flexible." Two weeks ago, where I live, Lowe's wanted $175 and Menard's wanted $79. Failing that you'll need to find a plumbing supply house - again you'll need to buy the full piece. You might be lucky and find a plumbing contractor willing to sell something out of their leftover stock. Or you may find a smaller hardware store that will sell by the foot. Some do, some don't.

                                                          • billfitz49
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Feb 3, 2010
                                                              Visit some of your local junk/scrap yards. I bought a 6 foot piece of 2 inch copper DWV pipe for $20.00 at one.