need help

  • dkorbo99
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 9, 2001
      I am looking for a new pot for my still and need a little help.
      I have seen some stills that don't use stainless,is that safe?
      The place were I work has steel kegs for oils if they were cleaned
      would they be safe for use as a pot?
    • AuntyEthyl
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 9, 2001
        DKorbo,

        The oil kegs are probably not safe to use.
        If they're not made of stainless steel, they will
        probably have some sort of coating on the inside, that
        may breakdown during distilling... even if their just
        mild steel, I would think that rusting may be an
        issue...

        Go for a stainless steel stock pot... or an Aluminium
        one..

        goodluck

        AuntyEthyl
        --- dkorbo99 <d.korbo@...> wrote:
        > I am looking for a new pot for my still and need a
        > little help.
        > I have seen some stills that don't use stainless,is
        > that safe?
        > The place were I work has steel kegs for oils if
        > they were cleaned
        > would they be safe for use as a pot?

        http://greetings.yahoo.com
      • AuntyEthyl
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 9, 2001
          Just a quickie... I know not like my usual posts.

          Had the pleasure of testing my latest V3 on a water
          only run yesterday. Had a couple of minor leaks on the
          column, due to its design (pull apart column) , but
          enough of a leak to be concerned.

          Enter flour and water... made a 'dough' mixture and
          smeared it into the gaps. Start still running, by the
          time the still hit operating temps... the dough had
          set.. and no leaks. :)

          Love a simple solution.

          AuntyEthyl

          http://greetings.yahoo.com
        • John Vandermeulen
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 10, 2001
            Hello dkorbo,
            Had snow yet? Out here in the maritimes we had our first of the winter just
            yesterday, about an inch.
            Wht sort of steel kegs are these - what oils were stored in them?
            Food-grade? - stainless steel? Capacity?
            John V

          • ups474@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 10, 2001
              Stainless steel, copper, and aluminum are all OK- but no non-food containers
              may be used. Stick with these rules, you'll have no problem.
            • waljaco
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 10, 2001
                --- In new_distillers@y..., "dkorbo99" <d.korbo@s...> wrote:
                > I am looking for a new pot for my still and need a little help.
                > I have seen some stills that don't use stainless,is that safe?
                > The place were I work has steel kegs for oils if they were cleaned
                > would they be safe for use as a pot?

                In Jamaica they ferment molasses in 44gal steel drums, then distill
                it in the same drums using a lyne arm from copper pipe and bread
                dough as a sealant. Rust does not carry over with the alcohol! In
                East Africa they also use steel drums. The heat source for steel
                drums is an open fire. Cast iron pot stills were once used for rum.
                This is not an ideal material of course. It would be better to use
                food grade HDPE plastic drums (which are replacing steel drums) and
                electric elements which can easily be drilled into plastic.

                Wal
              • dhaynes42@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 4, 2011

                  All

                  I am new to the hobby and I need help with a wash that I started yesterday

                  we used pears and suger and have two 7 gal buckets of wash i used SuperYeast X-Press

                  one packet per bucket and the fermenting started and was going good when I went to bed last

                  night but this morning there is no bubbling at all. Can I restart and if so how

                  Thanks for any information

                  Don// in Tennessee

                • JD
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 4, 2011
                    could be so many things.

                    could even be over heating it self and so committed suicide .

                    well maybe it is something you added.
                    so tell us what was the recipe . and where did you putt it . if it got warmer dan 34°C it killed it self
                    did you clean the fermentor with bleach ore something.
                    how much sugar did you putt in, and last but surely not least did you check specific gravity before adding the yeast ? and what does it say now.

                    Greets

                    JackD
                  • Fredrick Lee

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 5, 2011

                        I think that the temp was too high (90 degs F) when I added the yeast. I am using super yeast

                        And the wash had two five gallon buckets of pears that we boiled and mashed to that we added 10 lbs of sugar. We had two 7 gallon buckets of wash to which I added one pack of super yeast to each. The action started just as soon as the yeast was added and was going good when I went to bed, got up next morning and it had stopped

                        Thanks for any information

                        Don in Tennessee

                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 5, 2011
                          10lbs is a bit much for a day ready fermentation.

                          well I would check SG . buy a pack of Champaign yeast and pitch that in,(I think you mean trubo super yeast) nutrients and al are there so why bother adding more.
                          check temperature put it somewhere where it is about 70°F

                          Greets

                          JackD