Re: [new_distillers] NEW BOY INTRO

  • DAVID REID
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 25, 2000
      Maurice,
      Exactly where in Donegal so I can send the police (guardia)
      around.
      No seriously the answer to your question is yes it is the unfermented sugar
      which becomes scorched as a result of the very intense concentrated heat
      applied to the bottom of the still with the plumbers blowlamp. This comes
      under what is called a Maillard Reaction which is in simple terms
      Caramelisation. I suggest you refrain from using the blowtorch and opt for
      installing a simple electric element which gives you far greater control
      particularly if used with a suitable potentiometer control. What you are
      after is consistent even heating. The other thing that happens with uneven
      heat is the bursting of yeast cells in the wash which gives your spirit a
      rather bitter and unpleasant taste.
      I take it you actually mean Donegal the town rather than the county.
      B.r., David

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2000
        Hi there

        I have noooo idea about the unfermented sugar thing etc.

        I brew spirit using 19Kilos of dextrose (sugar) and top up fermenter to 50
        L with water. Then I add some still sprits turbo extra yeast (from
        http://www.stillspirits.com/) then once fermented (when it stops bubbling
        after about 1-2 weeks) I run it through there 5L reflux still.. The alcohol
        comes out crystal clear.. Then I carbon filter it using there filter
        system.. Then its ready to flavour and drink! Check out there site.. They
        have lots of info.

        Also.. its not legal to make it here either!

        dave