My First Real Run

  • bob_the_borg
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2005
      First of all, I want to thank all you fine people for the informative
      advice and patience on this board. I would have been lost without you.

      I have been reading on here about specific gravity, and precise
      measurements and stuff like that. I'm not a chemical engineer or a
      brew master. I just did it. And it worked. Real well! Maybe I got
      lucky??

      Here's what I did: (complete with prices)

      (If anyone remembers in earlier posts I was concerned if I would get
      any alcohol from my wash because I might have used WAY too much yeast.)

      I used 10 gallons of hot tap water. Dissolved in 20 pounds of sugar.
      ($7.00) Dissolved in 2 pounds of baker's yeast that I bought at a
      local bakery. ($4.00) Dissolved in 2 One-A-Day multi-vitamins.

      I combined all this into a large plastic storage container that I
      bought at Wal-Mart for $6.00. Then I dropped in one of those fish
      tank bubble thingees and let it aerate for 24 hours. After that I
      closed the lid and let it sit for 12 days. The first few days it
      smelled really sweet, towards the end I could smell the alcohol and
      vitamins.

      Yesterday I went by Wal-Mart again and bought a Britta charcoal filter
      pitcher ($13.50), a siphon pump ($7.50) and a brand new plastic 5
      gallon gas tank ($6.50).

      I siphoned out my wash into the new gas can and then transferred it to
      my still. Total wash in the still was about 8 gallons. Then I put
      the power to it and left the cooling flowing at a decent pace. At the
      1 ½ hour mark I turned the cooling flow down just a hair and brought
      it up to 60C. 30 minutes later I brought it up to 70C. I was getting
      small drips of something that smelled like alcohol at this point.

      30 minutes after that I took it to 80C and held it there. I had some
      16 ounce plastic cups that I had numbered ready to go. Then it
      started. WOW, just WOW! The cups were filling up at a pace of about
      1 every 10 minutes. And this stuff was strong! It had a faint
      vitamin smell to it.

      We were scared to drink the first stuff produced because I have read
      that stuff is not good. (I'm still wondering if that applies to a
      fractional reflux setup?) So we started with cup #4 and poured equal
      amounts of tap water through the charcoal filter pitcher. Then the
      rest, with the exception of the last cup. I ended up with about 3
      gallons of drinkable vodka.

      We had some bought vodka (cheap stuff) as a control for our taste
      test. We mixed a drink with orange juice and ice from the control and
      our product. Identical! I'm planning on running it through the
      charcoal filtering pitcher a few more times to see if I can make it
      even smoother.

      Thanks again everyone!

      Now I'm on to flavoring. Time to do some more reading!
    • morganfield1
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2005
        Hi Bob,
        Congratulations! Your now a criminal! (perhaps not, depends on where
        you live). You'll have to come up with a new gangster name for
        yourself. Anyway,
        To answere one of your questions, yes, the first take of product is
        discarded because of methanol content. Even in a fractionating column.
        You mentioned you were using a fractionating still, but 16 oz.s every
        10 min.s, wow, that seems like alot, but without knowing column
        hieght, power input, coolant flowrate, gravitational fluxgate, phase
        of the moon, color of your hair...alright, alright I'll quit. Users
        of fractionating columns usually toss the first 50mls of distillate
        for every 20 ltrs of wash (20 ltrs is just over 5 gals). Pot stillers
        discard between 100mls and 200mls depending on what they're making.
        But, it sounds like your off to a good start. One thing I would
        recomend, if you don't already have one, is purchase an alchometer.
        If your making vodka, (or anything else) they're pretty handy.
        Tip one, Morgan

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bob_the_borg"
        <bob_the_borg@y...> wrote:

        > First of all, I want to thank all you fine people for the
        informative
        > advice and patience on this board. I would have been lost without
        you.

        > We were scared to drink the first stuff produced because I have read
        > that stuff is not good. (I'm still wondering if that applies to a
        > fractional reflux setup?) So we started with cup #4 and poured equal
        > amounts of tap water through the charcoal filter pitcher. Then the
        > rest, with the exception of the last cup. I ended up with about 3
        > gallons of drinkable vodka.
        >

        > Thanks again everyone!
        >
        > Now I'm on to flavoring. Time to do some more reading!

      • Lindsay Williams
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2005
          Well done, Bob. The first run is exciting!! Just in time for
          Christmas, too! Make notes for each run and you can fine tune for each
          subsequent run.

          Cheers,
          Lindsay.

          <bob_the_borg@y...> wrote:

          > First of all, I want to thank all you fine people for the informative
          > advice and patience on this board. I would have been lost without
          you.

          > I have been reading on here about specific gravity, and precise
          > measurements and stuff like that. I'm not a chemical engineer or a
          > brew master. I just did it. And it worked. Real well! Maybe I got
          > lucky??
          >
          > Here's what I did: (complete with prices)
          >
          > (If anyone remembers in earlier posts I was concerned if I would get
          > any alcohol from my wash because I might have used WAY too much yeast.)
          >
          > I used 10 gallons of hot tap water. Dissolved in 20 pounds of sugar.
          > ($7.00) Dissolved in 2 pounds of baker's yeast that I bought at a
          > local bakery. ($4.00) Dissolved in 2 One-A-Day multi-vitamins.
          >
          > I combined all this into a large plastic storage container that I
          > bought at Wal-Mart for $6.00. Then I dropped in one of those fish
          > tank bubble thingees and let it aerate for 24 hours. After that I
          > closed the lid and let it sit for 12 days. The first few days it
          > smelled really sweet, towards the end I could smell the alcohol and
          > vitamins.
          >
          > Yesterday I went by Wal-Mart again and bought a Britta charcoal filter
          > pitcher ($13.50), a siphon pump ($7.50) and a brand new plastic 5
          > gallon gas tank ($6.50).
          >
          > I siphoned out my wash into the new gas can and then transferred it to
          > my still. Total wash in the still was about 8 gallons. Then I put
          > the power to it and left the cooling flowing at a decent pace. At the
          > 1 ½ hour mark I turned the cooling flow down just a hair and brought
          > it up to 60C. 30 minutes later I brought it up to 70C. I was getting
          > small drips of something that smelled like alcohol at this point.
          >
          > 30 minutes after that I took it to 80C and held it there. I had some
          > 16 ounce plastic cups that I had numbered ready to go. Then it
          > started. WOW, just WOW! The cups were filling up at a pace of about
          > 1 every 10 minutes. And this stuff was strong! It had a faint
          > vitamin smell to it.
          >
          > We were scared to drink the first stuff produced because I have read
          > that stuff is not good. (I'm still wondering if that applies to a
          > fractional reflux setup?) So we started with cup #4 and poured equal
          > amounts of tap water through the charcoal filter pitcher. Then the
          > rest, with the exception of the last cup. I ended up with about 3
          > gallons of drinkable vodka.
          >
          > We had some bought vodka (cheap stuff) as a control for our taste
          > test. We mixed a drink with orange juice and ice from the control and
          > our product. Identical! I'm planning on running it through the
          > charcoal filtering pitcher a few more times to see if I can make it
          > even smoother.
          >
          > Thanks again everyone!
          >
          > Now I'm on to flavoring. Time to do some more reading!

        • Roderick Holmes
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 5, 2005
            Bob,
            Next time do your taste test at either 40% or cut it down to 20%.

            Also try cutting your collection with water as you collect it and give it a taste. It will familiarize yourself with the different impurity flavors, as they come off at different temperatures and stages of distillation.

            This way, it won't only make just a good screwdriver, it will make a good martini as well.

            Roderick

            vodka (cheap stuff) as a control for our taste
            > test. We mixed a drink with orange juice and ice from the control and
            > our product. Identical! I'm planning on running it through the
            > charcoal filtering pitcher a few more times to see if I can make it
            > even smoother.
            >
            > Thanks again everyone!
            >
            > Now I'm on to flavoring. Time to do some more reading!

            Corporate culture Distillers Business culture of china Organizational culture Culture change Cell culture