Re: anyone got a working still in the Dandenong Vic area

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2005
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bandit <banditaust@y...>
      wrote:

      > whats the penalty, and anyone ever been caught?
      > The guy at the brew shop told me that its leagal under 5L to make
      > then he told me if your making essental oils its leagal (same
      process)
      > so whats the problem?
      > I make home bew beer, Legal
      > home made wine, Legal
      > so why is spirts, illegal

      DISTILLATION ACT 1901 (current)

      - SECT 11A
      Stills of a capacity not exceeding 5 litres

      The provisions of sections 10 and 11 do not apply to or in relation
      to a still of a capacity not exceeding 5 litres.

      - SECT 12
      Distillation of spirits

      A person shall not distil spirits unless the person is licensed
      under this Act so to do or otherwise than in accordance with the
      licence granted to the person under this Act.

      Penalty: 50 penalty units.

      Note: See section 4AA of the Crimes Act 1914 for the current value
      of a penalty unit.

      DISTILLATION ACT 1901

      - SECT 13
      Descriptions of licences

      Licences to distil shall be divided into the following classes:

      (a) Spirit makers' licences:
      (1) General licences authorizing the licensee to distil spirits from
      any material.
      (2) Wine distillers' licences authorizing the licensee to distil
      spirits from wine or lees of wine;
      (b) Vignerons' licences authorizing the licensee to distil spirits
      from wine or lees of wine for the purpose of fortifying wine;
      (c) Experimenters' licences authorizing the licensee to distil
      spirits from any material for the purpose of research into the
      production or use of fuel ethanol, including research relating to
      the development of technology for such production or use.

      Current penalty points value: 1 point = $120
      Therefore 50 points = $6,000

      The act as interpreted in a court of law states that NO STILL for
      ANY non-commercial purpose shall be of a capacity of more than 5
      litres. It is also interpreted as ANY still of ANY size must NOT be
      used for distillation unless said still/stillmaster is LICENCED.
      Penalty 50 points.

      Full Commonwealth Distillation Act here...
      http://tinyurl.com/9wunn

      Moderator
    • Bandit
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 2, 2005
        I have a 5L boiler, but whats this continous stripper?
        mine makes 5L@93% over 6hrs but Id like to make a bigger still to do one or two runs (25L) in one go.

        abbababbaccc <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:
        Why don't you use 5 liters boiler then? Use a continuous stripper on
        that boiler to process 25l mash to 4 liters and then swap to a
        reflux column and make pure 95.6% stuff. That way the quality is
        slightly better and it's legal too.

        - Riku

        wrote:

        > whats the penalty, and anyone ever been caught?
        > The guy at the brew shop told me that its leagal under 5L to make
        > then he told me if your making essental oils its leagal (same
        process)
        > so whats the problem?
        > I make home bew beer, Legal
        > home made wine, Legal
        > so why is spirts, illegal
        >
        > Greg wrote:
        > want to check out someones setup and ask lots of stupid questions

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        > Yahoo! Personals
        > Single? There's someone we'd like you to meet.
        > Lots of someones, actually. Try Yahoo! Personals

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        ---------------------------------
        Yahoo! Personals

      • Bandit
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2005
          hmm I'll have to digest that with a couple home made scotch's from my 5L still...

          Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote: --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bandit
          wrote:

          > whats the penalty, and anyone ever been caught?
          > The guy at the brew shop told me that its leagal under 5L to make
          > then he told me if your making essental oils its leagal (same
          process)
          > so whats the problem?
          > I make home bew beer, Legal
          > home made wine, Legal
          > so why is spirts, illegal

          DISTILLATION ACT 1901 (current)

          - SECT 11A
          Stills of a capacity not exceeding 5 litres

          The provisions of sections 10 and 11 do not apply to or in relation
          to a still of a capacity not exceeding 5 litres.

          - SECT 12
          Distillation of spirits

          A person shall not distil spirits unless the person is licensed
          under this Act so to do or otherwise than in accordance with the
          licence granted to the person under this Act.

          Penalty: 50 penalty units.

          Note: See section 4AA of the Crimes Act 1914 for the current value
          of a penalty unit.

          DISTILLATION ACT 1901

          - SECT 13
          Descriptions of licences

          Licences to distil shall be divided into the following classes:

          (a) Spirit makers' licences:
          (1) General licences authorizing the licensee to distil spirits from
          any material.
          (2) Wine distillers' licences authorizing the licensee to distil
          spirits from wine or lees of wine;
          (b) Vignerons' licences authorizing the licensee to distil spirits
          from wine or lees of wine for the purpose of fortifying wine;
          (c) Experimenters' licences authorizing the licensee to distil
          spirits from any material for the purpose of research into the
          production or use of fuel ethanol, including research relating to
          the development of technology for such production or use.

          Current penalty points value: 1 point = $120
          Therefore 50 points = $6,000

          The act as interpreted in a court of law states that NO STILL for
          ANY non-commercial purpose shall be of a capacity of more than 5
          litres. It is also interpreted as ANY still of ANY size must NOT be
          used for distillation unless said still/stillmaster is LICENCED.
          Penalty 50 points.

          Full Commonwealth Distillation Act here...
          http://tinyurl.com/9wunn

          Moderator

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          ---------------------------------
          Yahoo! Personals

        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2005
            It's a column with small boiler (may be few dls) where you feed the
            mash in the middle of the column. It flows down to boiler, gets
            stripped of alcohol on the way and is removed as overflow from the
            boiler. The alcohol at 70-90% is removed from the top of the column.
            You can use that to process any amount of mash while retaining small
            boiler. There has been few succesful experiments on the subject, use
            the search function for details.

            - Riku