Re: [new_distillers] Top&Bottom Plate questions (Mini-Still)

  • _{*L*}_
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2005
      The diameter of the plate which is soldered to the bottom of the coil should be just 1/16" larger then the coil itself. It could be even the same diameter. This plate is needed only to direct condensing alcohol onto the bottom plate. Surface tension will prevent distillate dripping off this plate. There is no need to provide vapor passage on the sides because vapor gets by through the large opening situated just above the bottom plate. Do make sure you have sufficient cut off area to allow vapor to pass. Repeat -- most of vapor uses a flat cut off area to allow itself up the coil. Do not make it small. Angle 30 degrees was used to reduce the height of the still. Angle 45* is as good. Rules for those two plates should be:
      1. THE TOP PLATE OVERLAPS THE BOTTOM PLATE BY NOT LESS THAN 1/4"
      2. THE DISTANCE BETWEEN BOTTOM OF THE TOP PLATE AND TOP OF THE BOTTOM PLATE :) SHOULD BE AT LEAST 1/4"
      3. THE ANGLE OF INCLINATION OF THE BOTTOM PLATE SHOULD BE SUFFICIENT ENOUGH TO BE ABLE TO PLACE THE OVERFLOW SPIGOT ABOVE THE TOPMOST POINT OF THE TAKEOFF TUBE.
      If these conditions are met it should work.

      nervesofflint <roy@...> wrote:
      I have 2 questions about the plates in the Mini-Still:

      1. How closely fitted to the I.D. is the top plate (..while trying to affix/solder to bottom of coil at ~30 <degrees>). Is a large gap detrimental..or is a close-fitting plate detrimental to vapor contact with coil?

      2. What is the actual or optimal depth of the lower plate? 2/3rds or
      3/4th's of the way? I see that the slot is nearly dead center to allow
      overflow, but was unsure of effect of how much obstruction % the lower
      plate had on reflux.

      If these have been answered already, then I apologize but I searched
      and read every post in the archives.

      Tnx.

      Corporate culture Distillers Business culture of china Organizational culture Culture change Cell culture

      _{*L*}_
      http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

    • Brendan Keith
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2005
        I'm happy with the two fixed plates of the earlier model.
        Each one just a little bigger than 50% ID. Leaves a fairly
        open vapour path and allows full contact with the coil once
        past the upper plate.