Re: suisse absinthe verte recipe and distillation instructions

  • waljaco
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2005
      Sorry,
      anis vert'' et anis étoilé'

      wal
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...> wrote:

      > I was under the impression that the French term 'anise vert' (green
      > anise) referred to the Mediterranean herb and to differentiate it from
      > 'anise etoile' (star anise)(also named 'badiane') which comes from
      > the Chinese tree.
      > wal
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, jim mcdonald <multiflorum@g...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > > In absinthe distillation the herbs are left in the charge of the
      > > > still, that is why you use a double boiler, cordial still, so your
      > > > herbs never come in contact with direct heat.
      > >
      > > curious why that would be. I'm an herbalist, and know a quite a bit
      > > about the particulars of extraction and solvency of various herb's
      > > constituents. All of the volatiles from the herbs infused in the
      > > alcohol are rather quickly extracted. Leaving the marc in the
      > > tincture while its being distilled will result in the extraction of
      > > different compounds (due to the heating), and the breakdown of some of
      > > the compounds (also due to the heat)... it's kind've like a soxhlet
      > > extraction, but the volatiles are being seperated from the rest of the
      > > extraction, and the other compounds will not distill over into your
      > > final product.
      > >
      > > Do you know that there's a reason for this other than "that was what
      > > they used to do?" I'd be interested.
      > >
      > > Also, of note: the bright green color of traditional absinthe comes
      > > from using some fresh (as in "not dried") herbs durnig the coloring.
      > > When old recipes call for, "green anise", for example, that's not a
      > > kind of anise, that's a reference to it being fresh. In fresh plants,
      > > the chlorophyl is extracted almost immediately in an alcoholic
      > > menstrum.
      > >
      > > This is of note, as well, because an ounce of green anise is not the
      > > same quantity as an ounce of dried anise.
      > > --
      > > jim

    • jim mcdonald
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2005
        > I was under the impression that the French term 'anise vert' (green
        > anise) referred to the Mediterranean herb and to differentiate it from
        > 'anise etoile' (star anise)(also named 'badiane') which comes from
        > the Chinese tree.

        well, you're right, they do; but it could just as easily have been
        said anise and satr anise; that would have been clear enough for that
        time period. If you look through herbals form that time period,
        though, you'll find that "green" used before the name of an herb
        indicated it would be used fresh. Even today, say, with firewood, if
        you peel the bark on a peice and see that it hasn't dried out, you say
        its "green wood" or "this wood is still green".

        Now, there is a chance I could be wrong, but it would be odd to use
        that word differently, considering the common usage at that time.

        The le fee verte site (http://www.feeverte.net/recipes.html) has
        several historical recipes, and you'll note several call for either
        "green wormwood", "green fennel" or both.

        one of the recipes states:

        "All these ingredients being as finely divided as possible, that is to
        say, cut, chopped, or crushed; one places them into a double boiler
        along with the previously distilled product, or better yet into an
        apparatus called a colorator, of galvanized copper, heated by hot
        water circulation or by steam, and one heats everything to just around
        50 degrees centigrade. Under the influence of this temperature, the
        plants yield to the liqueur their main natural coloring, chlorophyll,
        and their fragrance."

        and another:

        "Put the ingredients in the liquor which has been distilled, and allow
        the whole to remain ~until the desired color is obtained~; then draw
        it off into another cask and reduce the alcoholic strength to 120
        proof, or in other words, 60 percent, and it is ready for bottling."

        This second reference, where it says, "until the desired color is
        obtained" would seem to me to be indicating that there isn't a set
        time period to steep the colorants, but rather, you do it till the
        color is where you want it. This is because while the cholorphyl is
        rather quickly extracted, other components are more gardually done,
        and wile most all green plant tinctures initially turn a vibrant green
        shade, as other compounds are extracted they darken.

        You'll also notice that not all of these recipes call for "green"
        herbs during coloration, and some specifically cite "dried". What I
        know is that in the hundreds of tinctures I've made over the years
        I've ~never~ seen bright green come out of a dried plant.

        Though, to keep things in perspective, the absinthe I had that was
        made by dale pendell was exquisite and not bright green at all. And I
        had a bright green one once that was dreadful.
        --
        jim
      • waljaco
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 2, 2005
          You are referring to English usage of the term green when meaning
          fresh not dried. In this case the French use it to differentiate 2
          dried seeds and pods - one from a plant and one from a tree.
          wrote:

          > > I was under the impression that the French term 'anise vert' (green
          > > anise) referred to the Mediterranean herb and to differentiate it from
          > > 'anise etoile' (star anise)(also named 'badiane') which comes from
          > > the Chinese tree.
          >
          > well, you're right, they do; but it could just as easily have been
          > said anise and satr anise; that would have been clear enough for that
          > time period. If you look through herbals form that time period,
          > though, you'll find that "green" used before the name of an herb
          > indicated it would be used fresh. Even today, say, with firewood, if
          > you peel the bark on a peice and see that it hasn't dried out, you say
          > its "green wood" or "this wood is still green".
          >
          > Now, there is a chance I could be wrong, but it would be odd to use
          > that word differently, considering the common usage at that time.
          >
          > The le fee verte site (http://www.feeverte.net/recipes.html) has
          > several historical recipes, and you'll note several call for either
          > "green wormwood", "green fennel" or both.
          >
          > one of the recipes states:
          >
          > "All these ingredients being as finely divided as possible, that is to
          > say, cut, chopped, or crushed; one places them into a double boiler
          > along with the previously distilled product, or better yet into an
          > apparatus called a colorator, of galvanized copper, heated by hot
          > water circulation or by steam, and one heats everything to just around
          > 50 degrees centigrade. Under the influence of this temperature, the
          > plants yield to the liqueur their main natural coloring, chlorophyll,
          > and their fragrance."
          >
          > and another:
          >
          > "Put the ingredients in the liquor which has been distilled, and allow
          > the whole to remain ~until the desired color is obtained~; then draw
          > it off into another cask and reduce the alcoholic strength to 120
          > proof, or in other words, 60 percent, and it is ready for bottling."
          >
          > This second reference, where it says, "until the desired color is
          > obtained" would seem to me to be indicating that there isn't a set
          > time period to steep the colorants, but rather, you do it till the
          > color is where you want it. This is because while the cholorphyl is
          > rather quickly extracted, other components are more gardually done,
          > and wile most all green plant tinctures initially turn a vibrant green
          > shade, as other compounds are extracted they darken.
          >
          > You'll also notice that not all of these recipes call for "green"
          > herbs during coloration, and some specifically cite "dried". What I
          > know is that in the hundreds of tinctures I've made over the years
          > I've ~never~ seen bright green come out of a dried plant.
          >
          > Though, to keep things in perspective, the absinthe I had that was
          > made by dale pendell was exquisite and not bright green at all. And I
          > had a bright green one once that was dreadful.
          > --
          > jim

        • MB
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 6, 2005
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cartierusm2004"
            <htcustom@h...> wrote:

            > Not bad but a little incorrect. First off as an absinthe-tuer for
            > many many years I am about to embark upon making my first batch
            this
            > week. The site Feeverte.com is excellent but does not have a link
            > cascade supply only an email and they no longer carry petit
            > wormwood, nor does anyone else. I have not yet aquired it but plan
            > on growing this coming year. If anyone else knows where to get
            Petit
> [...]
            > >
            > > These herbs are for the first maceration and subsequent
            > distillation.
            > >
            > > The herbs for the coloring or what makes it a verte absinthe are
            > as
            > > follows.
            > >
            > > Artemisia pontica, roman wormwood foliage and flowers, 10g
            > > Hyssopus officinalis, hyssop foliage, 10g
            > > Melissa officinalis, lemon balm foliage, 5g
            > >
            > > For this recipe were going to use 75cl of our 85% grape spirits,
            > put
            > > the grape spirits and your ground herbs for the distillation
            part
            > in
            > > your still or mother flask. Let macerate for twelve to twenty
            four
            > > hours. Twelve hours is better. Leave the herbs in your mother
            > flask,
            > > or still during the distillation. If your still bumps, putting
            in
            > > couple of boiling stones or a couple of pieces of broken
            crockery
            > > will help immensely, also add about 500ml of distilled water,
            and
            > set
            > > on your heat source. Water on in the condenser at 60c, distill
            > until
            > > you reach about 82c, and change the receiver. A couple of
            > different
            > > receivers during the process is advisable. Keep dumping the
            clear
            > > runnings in you first receiver, around the mid 90s in C, your
            > going
            > > to notice the stream slowing down, be watchful for the faints
            > around
            > > now, which you will know when the distillate starts turning
            milky.
            > > Stop the distillation here, and avoid the faints mixing with the
            > > clear runnings. Let the distillate cool some what and grind your
            > > coloring herbs. Add the herbs to your clear runnings, and put
            back
            > on
            > > your heat source. You want to heat your coloring herbs, but
            never
            > > the boiling point, when you can no longer hold your hand to the
            > head
            > > of the still take it off and let cool, filter, and bottle.
            > >
            > > This absinthe is still raw but drinkable, it should taste like
            > > medicine. Let it age for a couple of weeks to a month. Its
            > definetley
            > > an aquired taste. After a month or so its ready for drinking,
            and
            > > should be diluted with water at a 1 to 4 ratio with a cube or
            two
            > of
            > > sugar. It should turn cloudy greenish white upon addition of
            > water,
            > > and have a very distinctive nose and mouthfeel. Keep in a green
            or
            > > colored bottle or else the chlorophyll will oxidize out. Hope

            No, Florence fennel is NOT the "dulce" (dulce is the sweet fennel)
            variety, it is indeed the "azoricum" variety as first stated by
            Trich.
          • cartierusm2004
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 6, 2005
              Hmm well if I'm wrong I appologize but I got the Florence of Fennel
              name from Botanical.com

              http://botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/f/fenflo03.html

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "MB" <cascadeherbs@y...>
              wrote:

> [...]
              > > > medicine. Let it age for a couple of weeks to a month. Its
              > > definetley
              > > > an aquired taste. After a month or so its ready for drinking,
              > and
              > > > should be diluted with water at a 1 to 4 ratio with a cube or
              > two
              > > of
              > > > sugar. It should turn cloudy greenish white upon addition of
              > > water,
              > > > and have a very distinctive nose and mouthfeel. Keep in a
              green
              > or
              > > > colored bottle or else the chlorophyll will oxidize out. Hope
              > this
              > > > helps.
              > > >
              > > > Trich
              > > >

              > No, Florence fennel is NOT the "dulce" (dulce is the sweet fennel)
              > variety, it is indeed the "azoricum" variety as first stated by

            • waljaco
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 7, 2005
                Florence fennel is normally grown for its eadable bulbs not seeds. The
                sources usually mention just 'fennel' - Florence fennel I have seen
                mentioned only once.

                wal