Re: Wheat vodka

  • hypodyne
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 29, 2005
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas
      <whosbrewing@y...> wrote:

      > Hi hypodyne,
      > you won't find any better written recipe on the net
      > (although for some reason your link didn't work for me
      > this time. I have it on file).
      > Make absolutely sure you are following it to the
      > letter. You are definately using FLAKED wheat?
      > feed/seed wheat is not a replacement, as it need so be
      > gelatinised. The rooling/flaking process (between hot
      > rollers) heats the starch up to gelatinise it. Raw
      > wheat needs milling and then boiling to make the
      > starch available. If you don't get a thick porridgy/
      > wallpaper paste type mixture, you've got the wrong
      > wheat.

      Well I can crush and boil wheat. Not sure how, but how hard can it
      be. For enzymes I could malt my own wheat from the same wheat or use
      the malted barley.

      See most of the recipes on Tony's site use bakers yeast. Need to add
      a nutrient as well. Buying special yeast at 10 bucks a packet is not
      really doing it for me.