anyone got a working still in the Dandenong Vic area

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 27, 2005
      want to check out someones setup and ask lots of stupid questions
    • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 27, 2005
        Seeing as this is an illegal activity in Australia I doubt anyones going to put their hand up and give you address to see their working still unless they already know you personally. Only some of my family know I do it and no way in hell I'd show a stranger.
        Plenty of info out there on the web mate. You can learn heaps from that and talking to experience people online.
        Luck,
        leigh

        Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 12:39:40 -0000
        From: "Greg" <banditaust@...>
        Subject: anyone got a working still in the Dandenong Vic area

        want to check out someones setup and ask lots of stupid questions

      • Bandit
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2005
          whats the penalty, and anyone ever been caught?
          The guy at the brew shop told me that its leagal under 5L to make
          then he told me if your making essental oils its leagal (same process)
          so whats the problem?
          I make home bew beer, Legal
          home made wine, Legal
          so why is spirts, illegal

          Greg <banditaust@...> wrote:
          want to check out someones setup and ask lots of stupid questions

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          ---------------------------------
          Yahoo! Personals

        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2005
            Why don't you use 5 liters boiler then? Use a continuous stripper on
            that boiler to process 25l mash to 4 liters and then swap to a
            reflux column and make pure 95.6% stuff. That way the quality is
            slightly better and it's legal too.

            - Riku

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bandit <banditaust@y...>

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 2, 2005
              wrote:

              > whats the penalty, and anyone ever been caught?
              > The guy at the brew shop told me that its leagal under 5L to make
              > then he told me if your making essental oils its leagal (same
              process)
              > so whats the problem?
              > I make home bew beer, Legal
              > home made wine, Legal
              > so why is spirts, illegal

              DISTILLATION ACT 1901 (current)

              - SECT 11A
              Stills of a capacity not exceeding 5 litres

              The provisions of sections 10 and 11 do not apply to or in relation
              to a still of a capacity not exceeding 5 litres.

              - SECT 12
              Distillation of spirits

              A person shall not distil spirits unless the person is licensed
              under this Act so to do or otherwise than in accordance with the
              licence granted to the person under this Act.

              Penalty: 50 penalty units.

              Note: See section 4AA of the Crimes Act 1914 for the current value
              of a penalty unit.

              DISTILLATION ACT 1901

              - SECT 13
              Descriptions of licences

              Licences to distil shall be divided into the following classes:

              (a) Spirit makers' licences:
              (1) General licences authorizing the licensee to distil spirits from
              any material.
              (2) Wine distillers' licences authorizing the licensee to distil
              spirits from wine or lees of wine;
              (b) Vignerons' licences authorizing the licensee to distil spirits
              from wine or lees of wine for the purpose of fortifying wine;
              (c) Experimenters' licences authorizing the licensee to distil
              spirits from any material for the purpose of research into the
              production or use of fuel ethanol, including research relating to
              the development of technology for such production or use.

              Current penalty points value: 1 point = $120
              Therefore 50 points = $6,000

              The act as interpreted in a court of law states that NO STILL for
              ANY non-commercial purpose shall be of a capacity of more than 5
              litres. It is also interpreted as ANY still of ANY size must NOT be
              used for distillation unless said still/stillmaster is LICENCED.
              Penalty 50 points.

              Full Commonwealth Distillation Act here...
              http://tinyurl.com/9wunn

              Moderator
            • Bandit
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 2, 2005
                I have a 5L boiler, but whats this continous stripper?
                mine makes 5L@93% over 6hrs but Id like to make a bigger still to do one or two runs (25L) in one go.

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 2, 2005
                  hmm I'll have to digest that with a couple home made scotch's from my 5L still...

                  Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote: --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bandit

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 2, 2005
                    It's a column with small boiler (may be few dls) where you feed the
                    mash in the middle of the column. It flows down to boiler, gets
                    stripped of alcohol on the way and is removed as overflow from the
                    boiler. The alcohol at 70-90% is removed from the top of the column.
                    You can use that to process any amount of mash while retaining small
                    boiler. There has been few succesful experiments on the subject, use
                    the search function for details.