Re: Automating distillation process

  • Figment
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 26, 2005
      I recently made a very small scale ARC setup (25mm column) as a test
      rig. Not ready yet to invest the bucks for the 50mm copper. But at the
      lower end of the sensor tube I bent it away from the column and
      installed a needle valve. There is also a needle valve on the output
      tube. I close both and let the still reach equilibrium. Then crack
      open the valve on the sensor tube an collect foreshots like a valved
      reflux still. Once the temp rose to >78 I closed that valve and
      cracked the output valve for the main run. Once I got above 80 or so I
      closed it and open the sensor tube again to collect tails. I hadn't
      seen this particular method described before. Any opinions as to what
      you guys think of this set-up are welcome.

      -Fig

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas