Re: Black spots on my heating element What is it?

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 26, 2005
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cartierusm2004"
      <htcustom@h...> wrote:

      > This is a brand new 1500W 120V hot water heating element. I did
      one
      > still run of just water to clean out my system. When I took the
      > element out of the keg it had these black spots on it. They don't
      rub
      > off or come off by scrubbing with a 3M pot scrubber. Anyone know
      what
      > it is? It goes into a SS keg with a welded bung for it to screw in
      > which is also SS. I secure it with Teflon plumbers tape. In the
      same
      > keg I have a 220V 4500W element used to facilitate faster boil
      time.
      > Both elements are new and have been in the exact same conditions
      but
      > the 4500W element looks normal. The 4500W package did say it was
      > stainless steel while the 1500W did not. Any help would be
      appreciated.

      > Here is a pic.

      http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cartierusm2004/detail?.dir=/f676&.dnm=2
      6e
      > bscd.jpg&.src=ph

      It's fairly obvious the element is not up to the job. If it does
      that with water, then it won't be much good with acidic wash and
      ethanol. I'd get another one, stainless this time, or even better,
      a copper sheath element. A bit of info...

      Tubular Heaters (Formed or Straight)
      The most versatile of all electric heating elements, the tubular
      heater is capable of being formed into virtually any configuration.
      The basic design consists of a helical coil of nickel-chromium
      resistance wire precisely centered in a metal sheath. The coil is
      surrounded by magnesium oxide powder which is vibration-loaded to
      ensure even density throughout the length of the heater. This entire
      assembly is then reduced to the finished diameter, compacting the
      MgO and "freezing" the coil in the center of the heater. The range
      of ratings, sizes, materials and terminations available makes the
      tubular heater adaptable to many industrial, commercial and
      scientific applications.

      Sheath Materials:

      Copper Sheath: Water heating, water solutions non-corrosive to
      copper.

      Stainless Sheath: Immersion in oils, molten salt baths, alkaline
      cleaning solutions, tars and asphalt. Also suitable for clamping to
      metal surfaces and casting into aluminum.

      Stainless Steel Sheath: Corrosive liquids, food processing equipment.

      Incoloy Sheath: Air heating, radiant heating, cleaning and
      degreasing solutions, plating and pickling solutions, corrosive
      liquids.

      Other sheath materials are also available for application
      considerations. Commonly specified are 316 stainless steel, copper
      clad steel for metal casting, Inconel for high temperature
      applications, and titanium for severely corrosive solution heating.

      Moderator