Temp Control Again?

  • Carter N/A
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 21, 2005
      Howdy, someone asked if a router speed control would work for variable
      control of a Water Heater element. I didn't find an answer, anyone?

      Here is one, would this work to variably control a water heater element?

      http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=43060

      Also this being a 15 amp max what max size element would it be able to
      handle.

      Thanks
    • francis_heath
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 21, 2005
        15 amps x 120 volts = 1800 watts.
        15 amps x 240 volts = 3600 watts.
        Are you using 120 volt elements? no Idea if the controler would fry if
        you hook it to 240 volts, but good chance of it.
        Francis

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Carter N/A" <htcustom@h...> wrote:

        > Howdy, someone asked if a router speed control would work for variable
        > control of a Water Heater element. I didn't find an answer, anyone?
        >
        > Here is one, would this work to variably control a water heater element?
        >
        > http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=43060
        >
        > Also this being a 15 amp max what max size element would it be able to
        > handle.
        >
        > Thanks

      • bumpkin68
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 21, 2005
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "francis_heath"
          <francis_heath@y...> wrote:

          > 15 amps x 120 volts = 1800 watts.
          > 15 amps x 240 volts = 3600 watts.
          > Are you using 120 volt elements? no Idea if the controler would fry if
          > you hook it to 240 volts, but good chance of it.
          > Francis
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Carter N/A" <htcustom@h...>
          wrote:

          > > Howdy, someone asked if a router speed control would work for
          variable
          > > control of a Water Heater element. I didn't find an answer, anyone?
          > >
          > > Here is one, would this work to variably control a water heater
          element?

          > > http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=43060
          > >
          > > Also this being a 15 amp max what max size element would it be
          able to
          > > handle.
          > >
          > > Thanks

          I can positively attest to a router speed control working on a 120
          volt 1440 watt water heater element. Works like a charm. However my
          first attempt was with a 120 volt 2000 watt element and after approx.
          4 hours, it fried the electronics. Now I start with a 240 volt 4440
          watt element and when vapors start, drop it off and start the router
          control and 1440 watt element. I have an amp gauge in series with the
          router control and adjust the power according to amperage. Hope this
          helps.
        • Carter N/A
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 21, 2005
            Do they make 120V elements, if so I'll use 2 of them to bring up to boil and
            then use one to keep the heat with the router speed controller.

            Next question, along the same lines, if I have 2 120v elements criss crossed
            in the keg how far apart should they be verticallY an inch? and how far from
            the bottom of the keg as tight as I can?

            Thanks

            >From: "francis_heath" <francis_heath@...>
            >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Temp Control Again?
            >Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 11:20:01 -0000
            >

            >15 amps x 120 volts = 1800 watts.
            >15 amps x 240 volts = 3600 watts.
            >Are you using 120 volt elements? no Idea if the controler would fry if
            >you hook it to 240 volts, but good chance of it.
            >Francis
            >
            >--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Carter N/A" <htcustom@h...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Howdy, someone asked if a router speed control would work for variable
            > > control of a Water Heater element. I didn't find an answer, anyone?
            > >
            > > Here is one, would this work to variably control a water heater element?
            > >
            > > http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=43060
            > >
            > > Also this being a 15 amp max what max size element would it be able to
            > > handle.
            > >
            > > Thanks

          • Brendan Keith
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 21, 2005
              No one asked. I recommended that unit. Repeatedly.

              Works great at throttling a 1500W element down to 900W or so.

              --
              Brendan Keith
              bkeith@...

            • Brendan Keith
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 21, 2005
                Same here, but I put a voltmeter across it, instead of an ammeter in series.

                One less junction heating up.

                --
                Brendan Keith
                bkeith@...

                ..
                > I have an amp gauge in series with the
                router control and adjust the power according to amperage. Hope this
                helps.

                Yahoo! Groups Links