First Wash

  • bob_the_borg
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 20, 2005
      Well, I just mixed up my first wash ever. Here's what I did. I
      bought one of those 73 quart plastic storage containers and a 6 dollar
      aquarium pump from Wal-Mart.

      I used 10 gallons of warm water, mixed in 20 lbs of sugar, 2 multi
      vitamins, and 2 lbs of baker's yeast.

      I dropped an aerator in the bottom and I'm going to let that go for
      the first 24 hours. My bathroom smells really sweet. I plan on
      placing a wash cloth over the edge of the container so the lid doesn't
      seal all the way to allow a little bit of breathing room after I pull
      out the aerator tomorrow evening.

      I'll know if it works in about 10 days. Wish me luck.
    • Lindsay Williams
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 20, 2005
        Wow, Bob, where did you get a recipe with *2 lbs* of yeast and no
        nutrients? A turbo pack for 10 gallons would be about half a pound and
        most of that would be nutrients etc for the yeast to feed on.

        I wish your wash and its inhabitants well.

        Cheers,
        Lindsay.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bob_the_borg"

        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 21, 2005
          OH NO!!! Did I screw up? I saw the recipe for a 5 gallon wash and
          just doubled it.

          I have just started it fermenting last night. Do you think I can
          split the concentrated mixture into two containers and then add water
          to dilute it? Or is it too late?

          Please help.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams"
          <lindsay.nz@g...> wrote:

          > Wow, Bob, where did you get a recipe with *2 lbs* of yeast and no
          > nutrients? A turbo pack for 10 gallons would be about half a pound and
          > most of that would be nutrients etc for the yeast to feed on.
          >
          > I wish your wash and its inhabitants well.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Lindsay.
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bob_the_borg"
          > <bob_the_borg@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Well, I just mixed up my first wash ever. Here's what I did. I
          > > bought one of those 73 quart plastic storage containers and a 6 dollar
          > > aquarium pump from Wal-Mart.
          > >
          > > I used 10 gallons of warm water, mixed in 20 lbs of sugar, 2 multi
          > > vitamins, and 2 lbs of baker's yeast.

          > > I dropped an aerator in the bottom and I'm going to let that go for
          > > the first 24 hours. My bathroom smells really sweet. I plan on
          > > placing a wash cloth over the edge of the container so the lid doesn't
          > > seal all the way to allow a little bit of breathing room after I pull
          > > out the aerator tomorrow evening.
          > >
          > > I'll know if it works in about 10 days. Wish me luck.

        • Roderick Holmes
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 21, 2005
            Bob,
            The multi vitamins will not provide the necessary nutrients that the yeast need and 2 lbs of yeast is more than necessary. Let me give you a copy of "grocery store moonshine" It uses a little molasses and tomato paste for nutrients. I have used it several times and it works well. Due to the yeast, it will not ferment out to more than about 12% though.

            Grocery Store Moonshine

            5 gal water

            10 lbs sugar

            1 can tomato paste (small can, 6 oz)

            6 oz of molassas

            6 packets on rapid rise yeast ... must be rapid rise.. they come in 3's at
            the grocery store... 0.7gm per pack(1/4 0z). Or if you buy it in the small jar, it is about 1/2 of the jar.

            Fill your fermenter with water and about 2 oz of bleach. Let sit for 30 minutes and rinse well. While you are waiting the 30 minutes do the following:

            Dissolve the sugar and molasses with about 2 gallons of water on the stove. Mix the tomato paste with some water in a blender to break it up. Put 2 gallons of water into your 5 gallon fermenter and mix the sugar mix in with the tomato paste. Add water to your 5 gallon mark. Take a temperature reading. When the temp is 85 degrees F or lower, then go ahead and mix in your yeast and stir well.

            This makes about a 12% ABV wash...... and is foolproof

            Takes about 1 to 4 weeks time depending on the ambient temperature. It also seems to make a cleaner wash than the turbos with less of the unwanted by products.

            Roderick

            bob_the_borg <bob_the_borg@...> wrote:
            Well, I just mixed up my first wash ever. Here's what I did. I
            bought one of those 73 quart plastic storage containers and a 6 dollar
            aquarium pump from Wal-Mart.

            I used 10 gallons of warm water, mixed in 20 lbs of sugar, 2 multi
            vitamins, and 2 lbs of baker's yeast.

            I dropped an aerator in the bottom and I'm going to let that go for
            the first 24 hours. My bathroom smells really sweet. I plan on
            placing a wash cloth over the edge of the container so the lid doesn't
            seal all the way to allow a little bit of breathing room after I pull
            out the aerator tomorrow evening.

            I'll know if it works in about 10 days. Wish me luck.

            Corporate culture Distillers Business culture of china Organizational culture Culture change Cell culture

            ---------------------------------

          • Robert Thomas
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 21, 2005
              Bob,
              I have no idea where/what your recipe was, but don't
              dilute it.
              As long as you haven't got too much sugar in there
              (absolute max is about 8kg per 25 liters) all the
              extra yeast will do is:
              1. ferment faster
              2. give a slightly lower yield
              3. be difficult to clear (perhaps, it depends on
              strain of yeast).

              Let it ferment. Check the gravity when it starts
              settling. If near 1000 (1.000, 0 depends what your
              hydrometer says - you have got one???). Allow to
              settle and then distil. If you have a column still
              then do a stripping run (really fast distillation to
              get the alc sepparated from the crud) followed by a
              proper run.
              Cheers,
              Rob.

              Cheers,
              Rob.

              __________________________________
              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Roderick Holmes
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 21, 2005
                Bob,
                See my grocery store moonshine recipe I posted. It is for 10 lbs of sugar per 5 gallons water. You doubled it, no problem. 20 lbs of sugar with 10 gallons of water. You need some nutrients though.

                Cook up about 12 oz of molasses and 12 oz of tomato paste with a quart of water to dilute it. Break it up well and bring to a boil on the stove. Let it cool and mix it into your wash.

                If you did not use the rapid rise yeast or bread machine yeast, your alcohol content will probably be more like 8% in the end. All it means is you have some unfermented sugar but you can still distill it. End product will still be ok.

                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 21, 2005
                  True enough, but it sounds like he's started.
                  Bob, this time go with my post. Next time check this
                  recipe or homedistiller.org.
                  Cheers,
                  Rob.

                  Cheers,
                  Rob.

                  __________________________________
                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • rimfire_rifle
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 21, 2005
                    I use 2 tablespoons of dried bakers yeast (rehydrated in a drop of
                    warm water and teaspoon of sugar for half an hour) for a 5 gallon
                    (mollases sugar 4-5Kg) wash and it works fine. Even a pound of
                    yeast for 5 gallons seems a massive amount. I don't think the sugar
                    is a problem. Use the calculators on www.homedistiller.org to
                    calculate the amount of plain sugar required for a given volume of
                    wash. Big tip is to get a hydrometer (if you haven't already)to
                    measure the Specific Gravity of your wash. Then you can make up
                    what volumes you like.
                    I would just leave your wash and see what happens instead of fagging
                    about. It will probably work ok, but just leave a load of crud in
                    the bottom that you will need to let settle and siphon off carefully
                    before distilling.
                    Remember, it's only sugar, so if it doesn't work, you haven't
                    exactly lost much except a lot of yeast!(valuable drinking)time and
                    gained experience. Rimfire.

                    <bob_the_borg@y...> wrote:

                    > OH NO!!! Did I screw up? I saw the recipe for a 5 gallon wash and
                    > just doubled it.
                    >
                    > I have just started it fermenting last night. Do you think I can
                    > split the concentrated mixture into two containers and then add
                    water
                    > to dilute it? Or is it too late?
                    >
                    > Please help.
                    >
                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams"
                    > <lindsay.nz@g...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Wow, Bob, where did you get a recipe with *2 lbs* of yeast and no
                    > > nutrients? A turbo pack for 10 gallons would be about half a
                    pound and
                    > > most of that would be nutrients etc for the yeast to feed on.
                    > >
                    > > I wish your wash and its inhabitants well.
                    > >
                    > > Cheers,
                    > > Lindsay.
                    > >
                    > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bob_the_borg"
                    > > <bob_the_borg@y...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Well, I just mixed up my first wash ever. Here's what I did.
                    > > > bought one of those 73 quart plastic storage containers and a
                    6 dollar
                    > > > aquarium pump from Wal-Mart.
                    > > >
                    > > > I used 10 gallons of warm water, mixed in 20 lbs of sugar, 2
                    multi
                    > > > vitamins, and 2 lbs of baker's yeast.

                    23+2&.dnm=first_wash.jpg&.src=gr&.view=l&.done=http%
                    3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/lst%3f%26.dir=/Test%
                    2b%2523%2b2%26.src=gr%26.view=l

                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 21, 2005
                      Rimfire,
                      you really have to watch those "Eastern Atlantic"
                      phrases. The US contingent might be wondering what
                      you're doing with your wash when you talk about
                      fagging about. They might think it's not a wash but an
                      enema!
                      Cheers,
                      Rob.,

                      Cheers,
                      Rob.

                      __________________________________
                      http://farechase.yahoo.com
                    • bob_the_borg
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 21, 2005
                        Thanks everyone. I will try that recipe Roderick. Can I assume that
                        I can double it if I wanted to make 10 gallons of wash?

                        Also, I read a reply that I should do a "stripping run". Can someone
                        explain that a bit more please. When I ran it for the first time the
                        other day with the rubbing alcohol test, it started producing at about
                        the 1 hour mark. Then about an hour later the temperature shot up and
                        I was getting water and alcohol mixed. (Can I assume this was the end
                        of the alcohol production?)

                        If I do a stripping run, then what? Do I dump the alcohol back into
                        the still, let it cool down and then run it again? Or do I put in
                        fresh water and re-run it?

                        I am using a column still.

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas
                        <whosbrewing@y...> wrote:

                        > True enough, but it sounds like he's started.
                        > Bob, this time go with my post. Next time check this
                        > recipe or homedistiller.org.
                        > Cheers,
                        > Rob.

                      • Robert Thomas
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 21, 2005
                          Bob,
                          the stripping run is basically what you did with the
                          rubbing alcohol. Drive everything off pretty quick
                          (while retaining some control on reflux, otherwise you
                          won't get a lot of the alcohol before you get bored).
                          Go to 98??? degC.
                          Chuck the remains in the still out add water to well
                          cover your elements, then your distillate.
                          (Optionally, usually only for neutral alcohol, add say
                          2 tbsp sodium bicarbonate) then redistil slowly.
                          I'm mildly concerned that your still was stable but
                          then shot up rapidly. Don't know what's worrying me
                          yet, but never mind. Go for it. Just make sure you get
                          rid of the meths.
                          Cheers,
                          Rob.

                          --- bob_the_borg <bob_the_borg@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks everyone. I will try that recipe Roderick.
                          > Can I assume that
                          > I can double it if I wanted to make 10 gallons of
                          > wash?
                          >
                          > Also, I read a reply that I should do a "stripping
                          > run". Can someone
                          > explain that a bit more please. When I ran it for
                          > the first time the
                          > other day with the rubbing alcohol test, it started
                          > producing at about
                          > the 1 hour mark. Then about an hour later the
                          > temperature shot up and
                          > I was getting water and alcohol mixed. (Can I
                          > assume this was the end
                          > of the alcohol production?)
                          >
                          > If I do a stripping run, then what? Do I dump the
                          > alcohol back into
                          > the still, let it cool down and then run it again?
                          > Or do I put in
                          > fresh water and re-run it?
                          >
                          > I am using a column still.
                          >

                          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas
                          > <whosbrewing@y...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > True enough, but it sounds like he's started.
                          > > Bob, this time go with my post. Next time check
                          > this
                          > > recipe or homedistiller.org.
                          > > Cheers,
                          > > Rob.

                          Cheers,
                          Rob.

                          __________________________________
                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • Derek Hamlet
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 21, 2005
                            A stripping run means running your still with lots of heating power
                            and no apparent reflux. You get all the foreshots and all the tails
                            along with the ethanol. This is then usually redistilled more slowly
                            to take off the foreshots , ethanol and tails . Basically you are
                            reducing your wash to a very concentrated but impure product which
                            you are going to distill carefully (but now a much smaller volume) in
                            the second run.
                            Remember that your elements always have to be covered with liquid or
                            it's bye bye element time.

                            At 08:50 AM 11/21/2005, you wrote:
                            >Thanks everyone. I will try that recipe Roderick. Can I assume that
                            >I can double it if I wanted to make 10 gallons of wash?
                            >
                            >Also, I read a reply that I should do a "stripping run". Can someone
                            >explain that a bit more please. When I ran it for the first time the
                            >other day with the rubbing alcohol test, it started producing at about
                            >the 1 hour mark. Then about an hour later the temperature shot up and
                            >I was getting water and alcohol mixed. (Can I assume this was the end
                            >of the alcohol production?)
                            >
                            >If I do a stripping run, then what? Do I dump the alcohol back into
                            >the still, let it cool down and then run it again? Or do I put in
                            >fresh water and re-run it?
                            >
                            >I am using a column still.
                            >

                            >--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas
                            ><whosbrewing@y...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > True enough, but it sounds like he's started.
                            > > Bob, this time go with my post. Next time check this
                            > > recipe or homedistiller.org.
                            > > Cheers,
                            > > Rob.

                            >Yahoo! Groups Links

                            Derek
                            Victoria, B. C.
                            Canada
                          • Roderick Holmes
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 21, 2005
                              Bob,

                              I don't think there is any problem in doubling the recipe, though I have never done so.

                              The other guys answered your questions regarding a stripping run.

                              <whosbrewing@y...> wrote:

                              > True enough, but it sounds like he's started.
                              > Bob, this time go with my post. Next time check this
                              > recipe or homedistiller.org.
                              > Cheers,
                              > Rob.

                              Corporate culture Distillers Business culture of china Organizational culture Culture change Cell culture

                              ---------------------------------

                            • tyler_97355
                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 3, 2006
                                Ok, i plan on making a wash tomorrow and i was looking for a little
                                insight and advice. I was planning on making a sugar wash and throwing
                                in a ground up multi-vitamin and a crumbled up piece of bread for
                                the nutrient. i'm also just going to use some baker's yeast. From the
                                sounds of it, i'm sure that you can tell, i'm going for the cheapest
                                way about this. Does this recipe sound about right, or should i do
                                something different? I'm basically just wondering if it will work?
                                Thanks for the help!

                                -Tyler
                              • fred081646
                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 1 10:07 AM
                                  I started my first sugar wash yesterday. (first ever wash) It is only a small 3 gallon wash to test out my abilities and the recipe. I am using 14g of red star active dry yeast. It started with a SG of 1.086. It is now 1.070. When checking the SG today I was getting goofy readings.
                                  I noticed many CO2 bubbles in the tube. When I shook them out my hydrometer settled down. I wondered if I should aerate on the 2nd day. I am using an oxygen cylinder with 90% oxygen. I have read both pros and cons on aerating after the first day.
                                • just me
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 1 10:20 AM
                                    look into masons mum sugar wash. it is simple and fool proof.

                                     No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However
                                    a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

                                  • Ric Cunningham
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 1 1:08 PM
                                      Only aerate once just before pitching your yeast at that SG. After fermentation starts you will cause the yeast to go into lag phase (growth not fermentation) if you aerate again. You should be fine in 3 or 4 days, but maybe as long as a week. Leave it be and you will be okay.

                                      --
                                      Ric Cunningham
                                      Wilypig Brewing
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 1 6:02 PM
                                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "fred081646" <fred081646@...> wrote:

                                        > I started my first sugar wash yesterday. (first ever wash) It is only a small 3 gallon wash to test out my abilities and the recipe. I am using 14g of red star active dry yeast. It started with a SG of 1.086. It is now 1.070. When checking the SG today I was getting goofy readings.
                                        > I noticed many CO2 bubbles in the tube. When I shook them out my hydrometer settled down. I wondered if I should aerate on the 2nd day. I am using an oxygen cylinder with 90% oxygen. I have read both pros and cons on aerating after the first day.

                                        I use to aerate with a stone and have used 100% oxygen(from a dive shop)as well in the past. For the past year or so I have done a lot of MUM washes and my process is this. I dissolve 10lbs of sugar and the other ingredients in 1 1/2 gallons of the hottest water I can get from my tap and stir the hell out of it. Slosh it up pretty good. After that I fill a gallon water jug with cold water and pour it in from a couple of feet above the fermenter. I repeat this to the 5 gallon mark. Check the temp and pitch yeast. I do not stir it again.
                                        never had any issues and really cant tell any difference in ferment time, trub, or anything from the other processes.
                                        Aerating spirit tells a whole nother story however. One worth reading. Search "Chateau Michelin" in these groups for that when you are ready.
                                        As for your hydrometer readings. I just leave it in the fermenter and watch it as it goes down, day by day. Keeps you from contaminating the wash.

                                        Mason
                                      • fred081646
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 1 10:46 PM
                                          Thanks a bunch Mason.

                                          What is the current MUM recipe you are using. I want to try that next. I have read good things about that recipe.
                                          Also, thanks for the tip on the hydrometer, I never thought of that.
                                          Guess you can tell I am a newbie. LOL

                                          Thanks Again
                                          Fred

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 2 6:16 AM

                                            Hi Fred,

                                            Yes, aeration should be used only during the first several hours of fermentation  (I usually aerate for just the first 4 to 6 hours).  Much less if your using 100% O2.  Our yeast friends go through several phases during this ferementation process.  Producing the alcohol is something we sort of force them to do by not providing any additional oxygen.

                                            The first major phase is called the lag phase which last only a few hours and is an adjustment phase for the yeast.  Next it starts the exponetial growth phase which requires dissolved O2 in the fermentation and uses this along with nutrients to multiply (usually by budding) into millions of cells per ml.  During this time the sugars are digested into CO2 and water as they grow and use up the oxygen. This usually occurs during the next 12 to 24 hours.   Next is called the  "deceleration or stationary phase" , where all the O2 is used up, growth slows down and the yeast start producing the alcohol we desire.

                                            If you keep aerating after the first day or so, you will never achive the alcohol levels we are after.  This method however is used for growing yeast for cultivation purposes to keep as master stocks.  So the idea here is to keep those little buggers away from oxygen after the first day or so.  Aeration is also dependant on the strain of yeast your using.  Some, like EC-1118 require more aeration then say Bakers or Brewers yeasts.

                                            Dr. MB Raines Casselman has a great discussion on this from the Maltose Falcons group - you might want to read up on this aeration thing at: http://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/yeast-propagation-and-maintenance-principles-and-practices  Below, is a quote where she futher breaks down these stages.

                                            Vino es Veritas,

                                            Jim aka Waldo.

                                            I) Initially there is a lag phase.   This occurs during the first few hours after addition of the yeast.  During this time there are no apparent signs of fermentation or growth.  The yeast are becoming acclimated to their new environment.  If the previous media (or starter) is similar to this new one, acclimation will occur rapidly and the lag phase will be short.  If there are major differences in the gravity, temperature, or wort composition, the yeast may be surprised or shocked and it may take some time to adjust to this new environment.  Major changes occur within the yeast at this time, they are absorbing all of the oxygen in the wort, using it to synthesize all the enzymes and other metabolic machinery necessary for growth and fermentation, and storing oxygen up in the form of sterols for later use.  This stage is critical to fermentation and should occur as rapidly as possible, preferably within a few hours.

                                            II)  The second phase is the accelerating growth phase during which yeast cells start to grow and divide.  Signs of fermentation will also become apparent.  The yeast begin storing sugar in the form of glycogen for later use.

                                            III)  The third phase is the exponential phase where yeast reproduction and metabolism is in high gear.  Cells are dividing every 90 - 180 minutes and fermentation begins.  During this time the number of yeast cells may increase as much as 1000-fold (or 3.0 logs) within 24 hours.  The extent to which the cells divide is dictated primarily by the pitching rate.   If appropriate pitching rates are used, the yeast are pitched at high concentrations (5-15 million yeast cells per ml) and undergo approximately 3 generations (23- or an 8-fold increase in cell number) to yield 80-100 million cells per ml.   100 million cells per ml is about the maximal concentration of yeast attainable in fermenting wort (Figure 2 &mp; 3).  Fermentation is also very active and a krausen may be beginning to form.

                                            IV)  The fourth phase is the decelerating growth which should occur 12-24 hours after pitching.  At this time the oxygen is fully depleted and fermentation and CO2 production is taking over.  Fermenting wort should be in high krausen.  Maximal fermentation occurs during 12-48 hours;   heat is being generated and there should be rapid CO2 evolution (bubbling).

                                            Note - Krausen means that foamy head we here call a cap.  JB)

                                            V)  Finally several days later, the yeast enter astationary phase.  During this time the fermentables and nutrients are completely consumed.  All yeast growth has stopped and they are beginning to fall out of suspension or flocculate.  The sterol and glycogen stored up during early growth are beginning to be broken down and used to continue growth.  Prolonged exposure in this phase (weeks) can lead to autolysis or total breakdown of the cell.

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Mar 2 10:36 AM
                                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "fred081646" <fred081646@...> wrote:

                                              > Thanks a bunch Mason.
                                              >
                                              > What is the current MUM recipe you are using. I want to try that next. I have read good things about that recipe.

                                              > Thanks Again
                                              > Fred

                                              My roosters name is Fred. Anyway, I am using the MUM Hybrid for the most part. I just upped the sugar to 10 lbs. I am getting right at a 4 day ferment time. Thats plenty fast enough for me. I could probably speed that up by a day because my start method is slowing things down because of temperature. Since I top it off with cold water the temp I pitch yeast at is in the high 60's low 70's (Fahrenheit)and even with a heating pad underneath it lags for about 18 hours before it gets rolling good and the temp is up in the low 80's. Next ferment I will take the time to get the temp right before pitching and see what happens. Or just wait til spring and not have to worry about it.

                                              Mason,
                                              Yes, It gets that cold in Florida.