Partial malt extraction

  • joeatsalot
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 14, 2005
      I've made a second batch of malt beer for whiskey, and this time I
      tried malting the barley myself. Stand by for photos of me with my
      wooden "gristing sandals", jogging on the spot over a pile of grain.

      I waited till about a third of the grains had grown rootlets a bit
      longer than themselves, and the rest had at least visible sprouts. I
      smoked them and ground them half wet, since the gristing sandals have
      limited effect on hard grain. After mashing, I could see many of the
      grains were crushed open but still contained their pulpy centers, and
      the SG only got up to 1.042 or so. Not too bad, but obviously not
      quite right. My first brew left nothing but empty husks.

      About half way through mashing the temp got up to almost 70 deg, due
      to heat trapped in the gluggy grains I think. Could this have killed
      the enzymes?

      Any other ideas what could have caused the problem?
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 14, 2005
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "joeatsalot"
        <joeatsalot@y...> wrote:

        > I've made a second batch of malt beer for whiskey, and this time I
        > tried malting the barley myself. Stand by for photos of me with my
        > wooden "gristing sandals", jogging on the spot over a pile of
        grain.

        > I waited till about a third of the grains had grown rootlets a bit
        > longer than themselves, and the rest had at least visible sprouts.
        > smoked them and ground them half wet, since the gristing sandals
        have
        > limited effect on hard grain. After mashing, I could see many of
        the
        > grains were crushed open but still contained their pulpy centers,
        and
        > the SG only got up to 1.042 or so. Not too bad, but obviously not
        > quite right. My first brew left nothing but empty husks.
        >
        > About half way through mashing the temp got up to almost 70 deg,
        due
        > to heat trapped in the gluggy grains I think. Could this have
        killed
        > the enzymes?
        >
        > Any other ideas what could have caused the problem?

        Read John Palmer's "Brewing All-grain Beer"...
        http://howtobrew.com/section3/index.html

        Follow it verbatim, minus the hops. That's how malt whisky wort is
        made.

        If you want a shortcut without all the fuss of malting, sparging
        etc., follow the malt extract section (Section 1).

        Moderator