Re: [new_distillers] Re: Butterscotch Shcnapps

  • Brandon Lee
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 13, 2005
      Try guntheranderson.com--lots of really good recipes on there
      your brother n the spirits
      blueflame456

      Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, ken meilleur
      <kenmeilleur@y...> wrote:

      > Hi, I used to make butterscotch schnapps from a store bought
      extract about 10 yrs. ago, but for some reason the food stores have
      pulled the product from the shelves. Does anyone know of any recipes
      for the above mentioned? I am considering trying to melt
      butterscotch wafers but don't know if they will work. I have also
      seen recipes that use butter, but I really don't like the thought
      of "skimming off the top crust" after it cools.

      If you want to do it authentic, then you might want to investigate
      Diacetyl. Deliberate over-production of Diacetyl in beer (wash)
      will produce very strong butterscotch flavour when distilled (it's
      in the tails). Diacetyl boils at 88°C. It is produced by almost
      all yeasts early in the ferment as a byproduct, and is increased
      when the beer is racked off the lees, due to oxydation and yeast
      removal.

      Diacetyl is re-absorbed by the yeast if left on the lees for several
      days after primary fermentation (diacetyl rest). Diacetyl is
      considered to be a fault in beer making, due to it being easily made
      also by lactobacillus strains. Hense the thought is 'if you have
      Diacetyl, you have an unclean environment'. This may not
      necessarily be true. Most beers have low diacetyl, but some like
      Scotch ales and Stouts and Brakspear's famous 'double drop
      fermenting system' deliberately have it as part of the profile.
      Many Scotch Single Malts also have traces of Diacetyl.

      There's been a bit of a scare recently because of lung infections
      from huge overdose of Diacetyl fumes in popcorn manufacturing
      (diacetyl is the approved buttery additive in popcorn, margerines &
      many other foodstuffs). However, diacetyl in small doses (ppm) has
      been present in beverages (beers, wines, spirits, coffees etc.)
      since time immemorial without any known or documented cases of
      problems.

      Corporate culture Distillers Business culture of china Organizational culture Culture change Cell culture