Re: [new_distillers] heating a wash

  • Robert Thomas
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 7, 2005
      You fermenter falls right in the blind spot of my
      experience (5-10 gall, or 1000 litre). However, I
      would suggest a circulating system. Have the aquarium
      heater (or any other heater with a stat) heat a drum
      full of water, and pump this through coils immersed in
      your fermenter. The heat density won't kill the yeast,
      you will be able to pump water through at upto 70degC
      (if you have a problem and the wash needs rehaeting to
      fermentation temperature) and you can switch to
      circulating cooling water if the fermentation gets too
      hot, and at the end to chill down for yeast settling.
      It's a bit more involved than a heater/pump setup, but
      worth it.
      Cheers,
      Rob.

      --- Carter N/A <htcustom@...> wrote:

      > I've got a food grade 32 gallon fermentor from a
      > home brew store, but I'm
      > not going to keep that monster in my house as there
      > is no way I can move it
      > to the garage when it comes time to siphon into my
      > boiler. But since i've
      > never tried to ferment 26 gallons of wash before I
      > could use a little
      > advice. I will be using Black Label Turbo Yeast
      > which is meant for batch
      > distillation and the fermentor will be in the garge
      > which gets real cold at
      > night, probably 50 F (10 C). Now I may not have to
      > do anything the yeast
      > might generate enough of it's own heat to keep warm
      > or should I use an
      > aquarium heater? I'm willing to buy a $20 aquarium
      > heater @ 300 watts to
      > keep the wash warm. Most aquarium heaters are very
      > accurate and I can just
      > set it for 75 F (24 c) and it will kick on if it
      > needs it. But since the
      > wash is so large should I have some kind of small
      > fountain pump in there
      > circulating the wash so it gets evenly heated and
      > not creating hot spots for
      > the yeast to die?

      Cheers,
      Rob.