heating a wash

  • Carter N/A
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 7, 2005
      I've got a food grade 32 gallon fermentor from a home brew store, but I'm
      not going to keep that monster in my house as there is no way I can move it
      to the garage when it comes time to siphon into my boiler. But since i've
      never tried to ferment 26 gallons of wash before I could use a little
      advice. I will be using Black Label Turbo Yeast which is meant for batch
      distillation and the fermentor will be in the garge which gets real cold at
      night, probably 50 F (10 C). Now I may not have to do anything the yeast
      might generate enough of it's own heat to keep warm or should I use an
      aquarium heater? I'm willing to buy a $20 aquarium heater @ 300 watts to
      keep the wash warm. Most aquarium heaters are very accurate and I can just
      set it for 75 F (24 c) and it will kick on if it needs it. But since the
      wash is so large should I have some kind of small fountain pump in there
      circulating the wash so it gets evenly heated and not creating hot spots for
      the yeast to die?
    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 7, 2005
        You fermenter falls right in the blind spot of my
        experience (5-10 gall, or 1000 litre). However, I
        would suggest a circulating system. Have the aquarium
        heater (or any other heater with a stat) heat a drum
        full of water, and pump this through coils immersed in
        your fermenter. The heat density won't kill the yeast,
        you will be able to pump water through at upto 70degC
        (if you have a problem and the wash needs rehaeting to
        fermentation temperature) and you can switch to
        circulating cooling water if the fermentation gets too
        hot, and at the end to chill down for yeast settling.
        It's a bit more involved than a heater/pump setup, but
        worth it.
        Cheers,
        Rob.

        --- Carter N/A <htcustom@...> wrote:

        > I've got a food grade 32 gallon fermentor from a
        > home brew store, but I'm
        > not going to keep that monster in my house as there
        > is no way I can move it
        > to the garage when it comes time to siphon into my
        > boiler. But since i've
        > never tried to ferment 26 gallons of wash before I
        > could use a little
        > advice. I will be using Black Label Turbo Yeast
        > which is meant for batch
        > distillation and the fermentor will be in the garge
        > which gets real cold at
        > night, probably 50 F (10 C). Now I may not have to
        > do anything the yeast
        > might generate enough of it's own heat to keep warm
        > or should I use an
        > aquarium heater? I'm willing to buy a $20 aquarium
        > heater @ 300 watts to
        > keep the wash warm. Most aquarium heaters are very
        > accurate and I can just
        > set it for 75 F (24 c) and it will kick on if it
        > needs it. But since the
        > wash is so large should I have some kind of small
        > fountain pump in there
        > circulating the wash so it gets evenly heated and
        > not creating hot spots for
        > the yeast to die?

        Cheers,
        Rob.