Filtering

  • Carter N/A
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005
      I've decided not to go with the tube filled with activated carbon, I think
      it just will be too much of a PIA. I need the 93% so I can make absinthe and
      I don't want to water down the mix, I will at least need to cut it down to
      85%. Anyway, I've got 4 liters of neutral alcohol from wine and according to
      the "compleat distiller" they've had good results with just adding carbon to
      the alcohol and letting it sit for a week. I used about 2 1/2 pounds of
      carbon to 2 liters of alcohol. Has anyone had any experience with this. My
      questions are this, from what I know, just shake it about 4 times a day to
      circulate it and then after a week your done? The important thing is what
      kind of setups are people using to filter off the alcohol once they're done
      filtering? Have any of you built a paper filter to pass it through to remove
      the miniscule particles left by the carbon? Any design ideas? Or should I
      just use a very very fine sieve? IF so where can I get one, I've looked but
      all household sieves look the same, I've got a fine one at home already and
      some of the carbon passes right through it. Any help would be great. Thanks
    • Robert N
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
        Try a couple of cotton balls in the funnel with say a coffee filter paper
        above to catch the large carbon particles.

        Yours in Spirit

        Robert

        _____

[...]

          Corporate culture Business culture of china Organizational culture Cell culture Organization culture Distilling

        • Rod
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 9, 2005
            if your getting 93% why bother with carbon ????
            i only carbon under 80%
            you wont be able to tell the difference
            unless you collect the tails as well and mix them with ya good stuff!
          • Ian Kent
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 9, 2005
              I get 92% and don't use carbon.
              To me it's not worth the effort

              On 11/9/05, Rod <bull910@...> wrote:

              > if your getting 93% why bother with carbon ????
              > i only carbon under 80%
              > you wont be able to tell the difference
              > unless you collect the tails as well and mix them with ya good stuff!

            • Wes
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 9, 2005
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Ian Kent <kegscruiser@g...>
                wrote:

                > I get 92% and don't use carbon.
                > To me it's not worth the effort
                >
                > On 11/9/05, Rod <bull910@h...> wrote:
                > >
                > > if your getting 93% why bother with carbon ????
                > > i only carbon under 80%
                > > you wont be able to tell the difference
                > > unless you collect the tails as well and mix them with ya good
                stuff!

                I have followed the thread on filtering for a few weeks and have
                been unsure if i have been missing out on something.
                I am pretty harsh with the cuts and the end product has been quite
                acceptable from a 1200mm reflux still putting out consistantly high
                95% hootch.
                I made a filter from a 100mm sewage pipe about a metre long that I
                used as a waterproof container for flares and stuff that i wanted to
                keep dry in a boat.(no shit)
                I cut a hole in the bottom and put a 40mm adapter in that accepts a
                bung from a fermenter. I pushed a copper pipe that a tampon fits
                inside halfway in on the inside and a tap in the other end of the
                bung.
                Put 500g of carbon inside and run 9 litres of 40% through it. It
                took a couple of days to drip through and the end result.............
                it does make a differance, my wife is impressed and brother that is
                something that rarely happens.

                Just my two bobs worth

                Wes

              • emailbenja
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 10, 2005
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Wes" <fourtysouth@y...> wrote:

                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Ian Kent <kegscruiser@g...>
                  > wrote:
                  >

                  > > I get 92% and don't use carbon.
                  > > To me it's not worth the effort
                  > >
                  > > On 11/9/05, Rod <bull910@h...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > if your getting 93% why bother with carbon ????
                  > > > i only carbon under 80%
                  > > > you wont be able to tell the difference
                  > > > unless you collect the tails as well and mix them with ya good
                  > stuff!
                  > > >

                  > I have followed the thread on filtering for a few weeks and have
                  > been unsure if i have been missing out on something.
                  > I am pretty harsh with the cuts and the end product has been quite
                  > acceptable from a 1200mm reflux still putting out consistantly high
                  > 95% hootch.
                  > I made a filter from a 100mm sewage pipe about a metre long that I
                  > used as a waterproof container for flares and stuff that i wanted to
                  > keep dry in a boat.(no shit)
                  > I cut a hole in the bottom and put a 40mm adapter in that accepts a
                  > bung from a fermenter. I pushed a copper pipe that a tampon fits
                  > inside halfway in on the inside and a tap in the other end of the
                  > bung.
                  > Put 500g of carbon inside and run 9 litres of 40% through it. It
                  > took a couple of days to drip through and the end result.............
                  > it does make a differance, my wife is impressed and brother that is
                  > something that rarely happens.
                  >
                  > Just my two bobs worth
                  >
                  > Wes

                  Precisely my observations. The product is 95%, which means there is 5%
                  of some other crap in there. In an ideal world, its water (inseperable
                  from the azeotropic mix), but i reckon noone can make it that pure.
                  Filter it anyway- its not gonna hurt!
                  cheers
                  benja
                • Lindsay Williams
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 10, 2005
                    I'm now in the filter, regardless, corner, too. There is no doubt it
                    does make it much more certain that the product will be taintless (new
                    word!!).

                    Cheers,
                    Lindsay.

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "emailbenja" <emailbenja@y...>

                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 10, 2005
                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams"
                      <linw@x...> wrote:

                      > I'm now in the filter, regardless, corner, too. There is no doubt
                      it
                      > does make it much more certain that the product will be taintless
                      (new
                      > word!!).
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      > Lindsay.

                      Taintless!!!! The mind boggles! Email me & I'll tell ya what
                      a 'tainter' is. ;)

                      Moderator
                    • emailbenja
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 10, 2005
                        "the product will be taintless (new word!!). "
                        Hey i almost wrote unseperatable instead of inseperable in my previous
                        post. This new word thing is easy, but you need skill to use existing
                        (forgotten?) ones like Harry does. Any onld fool can spooner their way
                        to so-called new words!
                        cheers
                        benja
                      • Lindsay Williams
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 10, 2005
                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "emailbenja" <emailbenja@y...>

                          Any onld fool can spooner their way

                          > benja

                          Even old fools!!

                          Lindsay.
                        • ethanol.dude
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 11, 2006
                            Here's what I do, take a piece of two inch PVC pipe about 3 foot
                            long. Cap one end, drill a very small hole in the cap, right in the
                            middle, flip it over and pack it full of activated carbon. Take some
                            PVC increasers and make a funnel at the top(the end that's not capped).

                            Make some kind of stand where it can set straight up and down then put
                            a mason jar under it and fill it full of your distillate. The alcohol
                            runs all the way through and out the very small hole you drilled in
                            the cap at the bottom. This way it gets exposed to lots of carbon on
                            it's way down.

                            Once you have the jar filled you can filter out the small amount of
                            carbon that came through with a cotton filter.

                            Do this two or three times and it really does a good job.

                            ED
                          • fit_dude42
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 12, 2006
                              Ah-Ha so it does come out with bits in! Thanks. I thought it was me
                              doing something wrong. I presume i could use your method but use the
                              carbon 'teabags' instead.

                              I didn't realise you had to filter more than once. I was under the
                              impression it was a once through deal. Possibly why i'd thought i'd
                              done it wrong, 'cos it still had a taint.

                              Thanks for that.

                              Karl.
                              Cheers m'dears

                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ethanol.dude"
                              <ethanol.dude@...> wrote:

                              > Here's what I do, take a piece of two inch PVC pipe about 3 foot
                              > long. Cap one end, drill a very small hole in the cap, right in
                              the
                              > middle, flip it over and pack it full of activated carbon. Take
                              some
                              > PVC increasers and make a funnel at the top(the end that's not
                              capped).

                              > Make some kind of stand where it can set straight up and down then
                              put
                              > a mason jar under it and fill it full of your distillate. The
                              alcohol
                              > runs all the way through and out the very small hole you drilled
                              in
                              > the cap at the bottom. This way it gets exposed to lots of carbon
                              on
                              > it's way down.
                              >
                              > Once you have the jar filled you can filter out the small amount
                              of
                              > carbon that came through with a cotton filter.
                              >
                              > Do this two or three times and it really does a good job.
                              >
                              > ED

                            • xpensv65
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 21, 2011
                                Just set up charcoal filter. Is it better to filter fluid pure. Or should I dilute the product first. Thanks
                              • bigdaddyg851
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 21, 2011
                                  dilute to drinking strength .and i have found cold distillate filters better .