Re: [new_distillers] Re: Question on using the mini still

  • _{*L*}_
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2005
      Yes, the wrong thing you are doing is trying to get the output too fast. The temperature does not "hover." It must stay rock hard on 78*C. You are trying to get dripping too fast. If you reduce the take off rate and redistill those four liters with 50/50 water added you will get 95% abv. Try to get one drop per second for foreshots and heads. Then you could try 2~3 drops per second for the main take. The pitfall in this scheme is that it is very easy to miss the tails. What can be said "Set it and forget it." Just watch over. Distilling needs time.

      Alexander <amr_services@...> wrote:
      Hi Alex.....thanks for the reply.....
      I put the first batch thru...and the best I got was 76%ABV...First 2 litres were at 76%, then next litre was 65% then the 4th was 62%ABV I packed the column fairly tightly....and the temp was hovering around the 78 - 80 degs.
      I assumed that the %ABV would be higher. IS there something I am doing wrong....or is this what is to be expected??
      Alexander

      _{*L*}_
      http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob