RE: [new_distillers] Need help for pot still results

  • Robert N
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2005
      Hi Rick, from reading your post I am imagining you have a rheostat on the
      heating element. IE it cycles on and off. If so then this is a major problem
      as you really need constant heat. The second thing you need to realise is
      that the ¼” tube will limit the amount of heat input you can use. IE too
      much heat and the vapour cannot get out quick enough, creating a pressure
      build up. This is not a good thing, firstly as a safety issue, pressure =
      explosion, secondly if you are only just getting too much heat into it then
      separation cannot happen.

      Don’t throw any alcohol out; just add some more water and experiment until
      you get things working correctly. Try slowing the heat down some, separation
      should increase. If finding a stable heat source is problematic then immerse
      the boiler inside a pan of water say up to the wash level and have the
      boiler sit on something to raise it from the bottom so the heat doesn’t just
      transfer from one metal surface to another. Yes this is fiddly but you are
      just experimenting here. Once you understand how and why a little better you
      can then go onto other ways. Have a look at http://homedistiller.org and
      read up on the science that is there.

      Yours in Spirit

      Robert

      _____

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8, 2005
        Hi Rob,
        Thanks for your help,sorry I haven't replied sooner. You ask about if
        I had a thermometer, yes I do it is inserted in the cork in the tea
        kettle. I ran it at a lower heat setting like you said and it worked
        fine,thanks. I'm definately going to build a bigger still and keep
        this one for distilling essences. You were right about the still being
        to small to notice much seperation. I have put up a few photo's, (not
        great but will give a better idea than my explaination) the photo's
        are in album labled elw, thanks again for you help, Rick
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas