Re: Quick question on VM (was)New still, first run

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 5, 2005
      RM is best used for neutral alcohol. If that's what you are after I
      recommend you go to ARC straight away. Similar principle as with RM
      but you don't need to fiddle with valves as it's fully automatic.

      - Riku

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "morganfield1"
      <morganfield1@y...> wrote:

      > Thanks again, Lindsay,
      > Very interesting, right now I have a column pot still. I'm thinking
      > of converting it to a CM or RM, If these become to touchy to
      control,
      > I may go VM.
      > Tip one, Morgan
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams" <linw@x>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > You're right, the column is open at the top.
      > >
      > > The vapour is more dense than air so will venture down the side
      exit
      > > and flow down. This effect is why a VM system's output falls off
      as
      > > the percentage weakens. At around 34% (from memory) the vapour is
      > the
      > > same density as air so doesn't tend to flow down the exit. Auto
      > tails
      > > cutoff! (in theory). The proportion that flows out the exit is in
      > > relation to the relative sizes of the vertical and horizontal
      > > openings. The openings on my still are approx the same size
      (20mm)
      > so
      > > reflux can only be controlled between 100-50%. At the 50% state,
      > half
      > > goes up and half goes to the product condenser. With valve closed,
      > > 100% goes up and gets refluxed.
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > > Lindsay.

    • morganfield1
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 5, 2005
        Actually, I make whiskeys, rum, and other flavored drinks. What I'd
        like to achieve is about a solid 80% on the first run, and save me the
        time waiting for a second boil up. I found myself a nice piece of 1/8th
        inch (about 4mm) copper tubing and wound up a nice little (about 4 in.)
        reflux coil to hang in my column, thru the top cap. I don't plan to
        have the top open, as I don't believe the coil is big enough to totally
        condense the vapors. The column is open to air thru the lyne arm. Any
        recomendations would be aprieciated. Thanks,
        Tip one, Morgan