Question on using the mini still

  • Alexander
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2005
      Ok...just put together the mini still as per Alex's plans...and ran
      some vinegar and water thru it.
      Can anyone tell me what the temperature of the distillate out should
      be????
      As the condensate that was coming out was quite hot...is that ok?
      Alexander
    • Snowblind Moose
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2005
        With my mini-still, the distillate is quite warm when it hits the
        collection jar. It'll be hotter with a vinigar and water mix than it
        will be with ethanol. I recall having the same concern when I ran the
        first cleaning run through mine.

        Good Luck!
        -Tony

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander" <amr_services@y...>
        wrote:

        > Ok...just put together the mini still as per Alex's plans...and ran
        > some vinegar and water thru it.
        > Can anyone tell me what the temperature of the distillate out should
        > be????
        > As the condensate that was coming out was quite hot...is that ok?
        > Alexander

      • _{*L*}_
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2005
          Alexander, it is OK... Hot distillate means that the still works efficiently, just cooling off vapors enough to collect the spirit.

          Alexander <amr_services@...> wrote:Ok...just put together the mini still as per Alex's plans...and ran some vinegar and water thru it.
          Can anyone tell me what the temperature of the distillate out should be???? As the condensate that was coming out was quite hot...is that ok? Alexander

          _{*L*}_
          http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

        • Alexander
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 6, 2005
            Hi Alex.....thanks for the reply.....
            I put the first batch thru...and the best I got was 76%ABV...First 2
            litres were at 76%, then next litre was 65% then the 4th was 62%ABV

            I packed the column fairly tightly....and the temp was hovering
            around the 78 - 80 degs.
            I assumed that the %ABV would be higher.
            IS there something I am doing wrong....or is this what is to be
            expected??
            Alexander