Re: Quick question on VM (was)New still, first run

  • morganfield1
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 3, 2005
      Thanks again, Lindsay,
      Very interesting, right now I have a column pot still. I'm thinking
      of converting it to a CM or RM, If these become to touchy to control,
      I may go VM.
      Tip one, Morgan

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams" <linw@x...>
      wrote:

      > You're right, the column is open at the top.
      >
      > The vapour is more dense than air so will venture down the side exit
      > and flow down. This effect is why a VM system's output falls off as
      > the percentage weakens. At around 34% (from memory) the vapour is
      the
      > same density as air so doesn't tend to flow down the exit. Auto
      tails
      > cutoff! (in theory). The proportion that flows out the exit is in
      > relation to the relative sizes of the vertical and horizontal
      > openings. The openings on my still are approx the same size (20mm)
      so
      > reflux can only be controlled between 100-50%. At the 50% state,
      half
      > goes up and half goes to the product condenser. With valve closed,
      > 100% goes up and gets refluxed.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Lindsay.

    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 5, 2005
        RM is best used for neutral alcohol. If that's what you are after I
        recommend you go to ARC straight away. Similar principle as with RM
        but you don't need to fiddle with valves as it's fully automatic.

        - Riku

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "morganfield1"
        <morganfield1@y...> wrote:

        > Thanks again, Lindsay,
        > Very interesting, right now I have a column pot still. I'm thinking
        > of converting it to a CM or RM, If these become to touchy to
        control,
        > I may go VM.
        > Tip one, Morgan
        >
        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams" <linw@x>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > You're right, the column is open at the top.
        > >
        > > The vapour is more dense than air so will venture down the side
        exit
        > > and flow down. This effect is why a VM system's output falls off
        as
        > > the percentage weakens. At around 34% (from memory) the vapour is
        > the
        > > same density as air so doesn't tend to flow down the exit. Auto
        > tails
        > > cutoff! (in theory). The proportion that flows out the exit is in
        > > relation to the relative sizes of the vertical and horizontal
        > > openings. The openings on my still are approx the same size
        (20mm)
        > so
        > > reflux can only be controlled between 100-50%. At the 50% state,
        > half
        > > goes up and half goes to the product condenser. With valve closed,
        > > 100% goes up and gets refluxed.
        > >
        > > Cheers,
        > > Lindsay.

      • morganfield1
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 5, 2005
          Actually, I make whiskeys, rum, and other flavored drinks. What I'd
          like to achieve is about a solid 80% on the first run, and save me the
          time waiting for a second boil up. I found myself a nice piece of 1/8th
          inch (about 4mm) copper tubing and wound up a nice little (about 4 in.)
          reflux coil to hang in my column, thru the top cap. I don't plan to
          have the top open, as I don't believe the coil is big enough to totally
          condense the vapors. The column is open to air thru the lyne arm. Any
          recomendations would be aprieciated. Thanks,
          Tip one, Morgan