Re: [new_distillers] Need help for pot still results

  • Robert Thomas
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2005
      Hi Rick,
      comments interspersed:

      --- eirelandwolf <rbg10798@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,I joined the group a while ago,and have
      > learned a great
      > deal.But head learning is totally different from
      > hands on. What I have
      > built on a very limited budget is a tea kettle
      > still, holds a liter. I
      > made a condenser,28 inches of 1/4 inch tubing
      > running thru 14 inches
      > of 1/2 inch tubing for the condenser,submersible
      > pump in a 5 gallon
      > bucket of ice water for cooling. On the stripping
      > run every thing
      > seemed fine,but on the 2nd run,the 1st 50ml. came
      > out hot,then cooled
      what do you mean? Where's the thermometer?

      > down for the rest of the run,I did not get a real
      > seperation I could
      > taste between the fors,middle and tails. I only made
      > a 1 gallon mash
      You may well get little differentiation on a small pot
      still.

      > as a practice run.It was 2 pounds sugar 1/4 cup
      > molasses,1/2 teaspoon
      > yeast nutrient(old wine supply,could be no good?)and
      > a tablespoon of
      > RedStar bakers yeast(waiting on ec-1118 yeast)
      That should be ok. Bakers yeast works great for me.

      > a hot plate (1100
      > watts)I start on high as it comes up in temp I cut
      > it back to 3/4. My
      way too much heat. That's the other reason why you
      have no differentiation. Try coming up to temp slowly,
      and finishing faster: not the other way round.

      > question is am I running it to hot? I know I need
      yes

      > better yeast to get
      > higher initial alcohol yield,but it seems I should
      not necessarily. bakers should do that recipe.

      > get a clearer
      > seperation than what I got(not drinkable even after
      > carbon filter),any
      > idea's or help would be appreciated, thanks Rick
      You seem to be heating so hard that everything poops
      over at once. Slow down. Your major problem will be
      controlling the heat input.
      If you can, insert the boiler in a big pan of water
      and heat that. Slowly.
      Also, how does the exit tube leave your boiler? out
      and straight down? try a bit more up, before it turns
      down to the condenser.
      Also (again) where are you measuring the temp? and
      how?
      Cheers,
      Rob.

      Cheers,
      Rob.

      __________________________________
      http://farechase.yahoo.com
    • Robert N
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 5, 2005
        Hi Rick, from reading your post I am imagining you have a rheostat on the
        heating element. IE it cycles on and off. If so then this is a major problem
        as you really need constant heat. The second thing you need to realise is
        that the ¼” tube will limit the amount of heat input you can use. IE too
        much heat and the vapour cannot get out quick enough, creating a pressure
        build up. This is not a good thing, firstly as a safety issue, pressure =
        explosion, secondly if you are only just getting too much heat into it then
        separation cannot happen.

        Don’t throw any alcohol out; just add some more water and experiment until
        you get things working correctly. Try slowing the heat down some, separation
        should increase. If finding a stable heat source is problematic then immerse
        the boiler inside a pan of water say up to the wash level and have the
        boiler sit on something to raise it from the bottom so the heat doesn’t just
        transfer from one metal surface to another. Yes this is fiddly but you are
        just experimenting here. Once you understand how and why a little better you
        can then go onto other ways. Have a look at http://homedistiller.org and
        read up on the science that is there.

        Yours in Spirit

        Robert

        _____

        Hi all,I joined the group a while ago,and have learned a great
        deal.But head learning is totally different from hands on. What I have
        built on a very limited budget is a tea kettle still, holds a liter. I
        made a condenser,28 inches of 1/4 inch tubing running thru 14 inches
        of 1/2 inch tubing for the condenser,submersible pump in a 5 gallon
        bucket of ice water for cooling. On the stripping run every thing
        seemed fine,but on the 2nd run,the 1st 50ml. came out hot,then cooled
        down for the rest of the run,I did not get a real seperation I could
        taste between the fors,middle and tails. I only made a 1 gallon mash
        as a practice run.It was 2 pounds sugar 1/4 cup molasses,1/2 teaspoon
        yeast nutrient(old wine supply,could be no good?)and a tablespoon of
        RedStar bakers yeast(waiting on ec-1118 yeast),I use a hot plate (1100
        watts)I start on high as it comes up in temp I cut it back to 3/4. My
        question is am I running it to hot? I know I need better yeast to get
        higher initial alcohol yield,but it seems I should get a clearer

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2005
          Hi Rob,
          Thanks for your help,sorry I haven't replied sooner. You ask about if
          I had a thermometer, yes I do it is inserted in the cork in the tea
          kettle. I ran it at a lower heat setting like you said and it worked
          fine,thanks. I'm definately going to build a bigger still and keep
          this one for distilling essences. You were right about the still being
          to small to notice much seperation. I have put up a few photo's, (not
          great but will give a better idea than my explaination) the photo's
          are in album labled elw, thanks again for you help, Rick
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas